Hot Toys Hicks & Hudson on Ebay

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy it now is the only way I really like to ebay. You know the price and you don't get frustrated by bidders paying way more than the item is worth just because they want to win. If I do have to bid though, I wait until the last couple of seconds and I usually win. I still can not figure out what the point of bidding on an item 4 days in advance- you are going to get outbid anyway and all you are doing is driving the price up. :google What's the first thing somebody does when they get that "You have been outbid" email? They go and place another bid because they are pissed they are losing. Mind games man.

To be honest I think there are 2 reasons behind it. Some people who bid early put in a max bid and say "If I lose fine, but this is ALL I am willing to pay so outbid me if you like" and there is nothing wring with that.

Other bidders are shill bidders. They use their second account of get their friends to show interest in an item and try to get other people to push the price up.

When I was going after the Harry Potter busts I saw SEVERAL and I mean SEVERAL odd things. I would see 1 seller with 3-5 busts for sale....they ALL had the same high bidder and once that "bidder" was finally outbid it was right around retail price so the seller magically didn't "lose" money on them. I saw this with several different sellers in a short period of time. Just a little odd huh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeah, there is nothing wrong with putting in your max bid at the beginning of an auction but usually these people end up upping their bids just a "little" bit more anyway because they think "what's an extra $10 bucks- I can't lose, I won't lose" They get addicted too.

Shill bidders are a big problem especially when early bidders take the bait. :emperor

Ebay is like crack- you want to win and you will do what you have to for the win. I constantly see things like regular DVD's sell for more than what people could buy them for at the store or on Amazon- why?! Because people get carried away with bidding.

Yeah and theres the bidders who bid 1 dollar on items? and 5 dollar increments which is plain stupid. Just drives the price up incrementally

Yeah and theres the bidders who bid 1 dollar on items? and 5 dollar increments which is plain stupid. Just drives the price up incrementally

Sorry about the mean comments earlier Jamal- I get frustrated easily. Even though I don't like it when people post ebay links I know you were trying to be helpful. :)

No harm done. I only posted it here so u guys would get the heads up and atleast have a chance to get them. These would have gotten attention anyway.

Frankly (and I'm not referring to anyone around here, just to be clear) there is a lot of ignorance about how ebay really works. First of all, there's obviously the issue of sniping. Many people don't seem to realize the degree to which it happens, and how effective it can be. It can certainly be annoying but is the only way to have a chance at winning most auctions (at least those auctions that other people are likely to be bidding on). If you bid early on, there's almost always going to be someone willing to pay a dollar more than you, and you lose the auction. That's a just a side effect of the way ebay works.

I think a lot of people see a low starting bid and place a ridiculously low bid on something as a longshot, thinking that they might get something cheap. I see this a lot on auctions I monitor, and on my own actions as well. It goes progressively higher until the last minute or so of the auction, when the actual bidding (the bidding that matters) begins. Most ebay auctions last for a week, but that's really just to give the maximum number of people a chance to be exposed to the auction. The vast majority of auctions are decided in the last minute, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen one bidder have the high bid for an entire week and then be kicked off at the end. One tip: always bid in odd numbers. Most people like to bid in round numbers, so you can sometimes win by a cent or two this way.

Buy It Now can be a great option, but you do have be a little careful, because sometimes you end up paying quite a premium for using it. Of course, sometimes if the seller undervalues his or her item, you can get a great deal, but recently I've found that I've been getting better deals through regular auctions because fewer people have the patience to be there when the auction ends.

Last edited:
Back