Hot Toys ED-209 MMS204 *RUBBER DETERIORATION* Discussion/Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe someone should post a poll then we could actually see how many people's are rotted and how many have one that isn't, the only thing is that people, that put grease on theirs should be considered uh perfect or not? Since they put grease on it before they started cracking or not cracking we will never know for sure if it was the grease that saved them or if they were fine to begin with.

Great idea.
If no one´s doing it, I will later.

I just unboxed mine after having it for over a month and its in perfect condition with no cracking or rotting anywhere. The only problem I had with mine was trying to get the missiles in the launcher far enough so you could put it back in standby position, apart from that it's perfect. I plan on putting it in an air tight display case so hopefully that will keep it from rotting.

My ED-209 should show up on friday. I'm hoping it's easy to remove the dome, as I plan on making a mold and casting it in hard black plastic.

My ED-209 should show up on friday. I'm hoping it's easy to remove the dome, as I plan on making a mold and casting it in hard black plastic.

Thats a awesome idea but what are you going to do for the joints if they start to rot on the arms? maybe you could do the same thing but have the arm joints snap together in 2 pieces?

They are dropping out, look at all the sales during Spooktacular, and then also compare the comments on the SS Red 5 Luke Skywalker, this hobby will be dead in like a couple years, time for the new generation to step in, the rest of us seem to be out of this hobby.

yea def... 1st off they are raping people on the prices as of late. look at the wolverine that was just announce... $250 for a plane jane fig w/o lots of bells and whistles is crazy! i understand licensing fees and the bs that goes w/ it... but when you look at figures from a few years ago... that are just as good quality wise and in likeness, had a ton of extras... and they were 30% cheaper... and at those prices ($160ish) they were still making good profit. FF a few years... and now its just gouging and taking advantage of the hobby. case in point as we are talking about this ed-209. just picked it up for $256 shipped to my door. They are STILL making money on the deal... they are not giving these away for free. SO... original price in the $430 range shipped... we're talking almost $200 difference! OR... just got notice for iron man discounts... iron patriot was $320 approx shipped... it coulda been picked up for $220 shipped. $100 less and STILL making profit. its just gotten outta hand. and only thing that will stop it is for people to stop buying it. but a lot of people have the addiction problems and need to buy... it's part of this hobby. so prices will continue to skyrocket until people say no.

but i agree w/ you that it is slowing down... used to be everything sells out. but i've noticed the past year or so that things are starting to pile up and if you wait you can buy things at more realistic prices. $210 for man of steel shipped originally... or $124 shipped last week on spooktacular? and still making profit at that $124 price! something to think about! :wink1:

Congrats to all those picking this up at such a great deal, btw. Just reinforcing to me more and more not to pre-order and to wait. Just seems there is almost no danger at all in not pre-ordering nowadays. Prices on the secondary market are brutal for almost everything, so seems to me there is way too much supply or people are dropping out of the hobby.
this is the truth
part of me wants to cancel my preorder for the bd robo/murphy 2 pack, eat the NRD, and Im confident it will still come out cheaper for me by waiting

If you're able to do it, let us know. Even people with undamaged domes I'm sure would be happy to have a back-up sitting in storage, if the rubber deteriorates in future.

this is the truth
part of me wants to cancel my preorder for the bd robo/murphy 2 pack, eat the NRD, and Im confident it will still come out cheaper for me by waiting
Yep. What's surprised me most has been how much stuff is getting pretty deeply discounted. Even Iron Man diecast that so many people were clamouring for. Han & Chewie is the last pre-order I'll make w/o some kind of discount or incentive.

this is the truth

I'm sorry you will loose out on your NRD, but yeah I will no longer PO my last one was Marty Mcfly and I'm actually glad I did it, since the Exclusive one is now sold out, but yeah I will just wait, look at Clean Robocop you can still get him like right now!

As with almost all the problems - it isn't universal, but only a small percentage that it's happening to. So most of them will be fine.

:exactly:

Mine's as good as the day I bought it, with not even a hint of cracking.

I remember I used to be able to make the same boast about my original ED-209. Them were the days.

How Long ago did you buy it / return it? And was it damaged out of the box?

I preordered it a while back, but not from sideshow. It was through one of the official US retailers (so I've had it for some time now). I notified them of my issue.

They contacted sideshow. Sideshow said they can replace it with a new one...but only once, and they can't guarantee that it won't happen again. Sideshow said there has been numerous reports of this happening. So I opted for a return instead. Saddens me, but is rather have my money back than a broken toy.

I live in Los Angeles. Ed -209 sits in a glass shelf away from heat/ac vents, no sunlight, no smoke and etc. :(

Ps, it was perfect out of the box. The shine of done didn'tadt long. It checked for the first signs of cracks as soon as I heard about it. Mine was good, until about a 2 months ago, when it started. At first it wasn't bad. And then about a month ago, it started to deteriorate FAST.

Last edited:
Is your dome badly damaged? If so, I'll replace it for free!

Here is the deal, I'd like to make a cast, however in order to get the replacement domes to fit, I'd need to remove the old dome. My figures dome is perfect, so I'm not thrilled with the idea of damaging it. So I'm looking for a damaged ED that the owner will let me borrow to test the fit, this will involve removing the old dome which I'm guessing will destroy the dome.

Is your dome badly damaged? If so, I'll replace it for free!

Here is the deal, I'd like to make a cast, however in order to get the replacement domes to fit, I'd need to remove the old dome. My figures dome is perfect, so I'm not thrilled with the idea of damaging it. So I'm looking for a damaged ED that the owner will let me borrow to test the fit, this will involve removing the old dome which I'm guessing will destroy the dome.

you should start a new post w/ your offer to do so... i'm sure someone would be happy to loan theirs to you to get it fixed...

So I've heard from the mod podge people that only 1 application is required and the dome is good for several months? Is mod podge better than Honda silicone grease? I keep hearing that people are constantly applying the Honda grease every month or few months or so and I was wondering if mod podge might be more efficient?

Back