Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

If the DX is the speeder it's a pass. I got no room for that and it's not iconic at all. Maul is. I hope to god we get a reg release of just him.

Maybe not to you -- I was 14 when TPM came out and this speeder was one of the coolest things I had ever seen. I even made a poor attempt in art class at making one for my 3.75" Maul. Very excited about its addition to this set.

You should know by now that the TT vs the SSC body will always be superior for a figure , so no doubt , this Maul will be a must have :lol

hah well yeah of course! TT reigns supreme, this is pretty much gospel in the 1/6 world lol

I pretty much stick to more museum type poses myself, so I dont take full advantage of the bodies to be honest. But I also know that sculpt, paint, and tailoring are typically better on HT’s as well. Not always, but usually yes.

Do you think that’s it for OT Hot Toys reveals this year? I hope not although looking at the YouTube video of their stand, they do seem to have a lot of releases coming out already.

Yeah I think there's still a possibility of seeing Bespin Lando. But like I said in the Lando thread HT has a lot of figures in development and theyre not all down at SDCC. (Crait Luke for example).

I think they have limited display space here so have made their choices on characters from current films with some new and a couple of OT. OT Star Wars will always sell, so I'm sure they'll release new ones from time to time also until the end of this year and next year.

hah well yeah of course! TT reigns supreme, this is pretty much gospel in the 1/6 world lol

I pretty much stick to more museum type poses myself, so I dont take full advantage of the bodies to be honest. But I also know that sculpt, paint, and tailoring are typically better on HT’s as well. Not always, but usually yes.

I agree completely, however there is no denying when SSC gives HT a run is the tailoring and details of accessories, but in Maul’s case since it is a solid black outfit for the most part, I don’t think it matters which version is best, but if you can get Maul in a dynamic pose, why not take advantage of getting this version. We know it’s going to look phenomenal because of the dynamics of a TT

For those complaining about no ankle articulation..look again, you will notice the creases in the back of his boots , so I think there is ankle movement

Here's HT's official shot from IG.

One thing I don't like on the costume, the upper arm part of his shirt looks pleated, that's not right.

36942208_1081136365374683_4934018082722021376_n.jpg

Seems like Maul's costume may be a challenge in 1/6.

darth-maul-force-awakens-connection-229416-1280x0.jpg

I agree completely, however there is no denying when SSC gives HT a run is the tailoring and details of accessories, but in Maul’s case since it is a solid black outfit for the most part, I don’t think it matters which version is best, but if you can get Maul in a dynamic pose, why not take advantage of getting this version. We know it’s going to look phenomenal because of the dynamics of a TT

For those complaining about no ankle articulation..look again, you will notice the creases in the back of his boots , so I think there is ankle movement

Oh I'm fairly certain the boots will be one of the huge improvements over the SSC version. While they are are very nice and finally dont look like snow boots anymore on the V2, I'm hoping HT will incorporate softgoods somehow to massively improve articulation.

One thing I don't like on the costume, the upper arm part of his shirt looks pleated, that's not right.

Oh damn, I hadn't noticed that before. Why whyyyyyy HT?

Hmm..that is strange, considering SSC avoided this with any of the versions. Hopefully since this is a proto with TBD tag, they will fix this for HT :dunno

Found the photo higher resolution on Facebook.

37376978_10155629119002344_7868843100926377984_o.jpg

So far, I think Sideshow's figure looks better overall, each has pros and cons but neither delivered the definitive Maul.

The HT looks amazing, and it will definitely be a day 1 order, but I'm still in love with the SSC Maul.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Oh I'm fairly certain the boots will be one of the huge improvements over the SSC version. While they are are very nice and finally dont look like snow boots anymore on the V2, I'm hoping HT will incorporate softgoods somehow to massively improve articulation.

But for now it looks like the boots have next to no articulation. And the SSC ones have a lot...
For now it looks like I’ll get this one for the accessories, not for the figure itself. But it might improve.

Found the photo higher resolution on Facebook.

37376978_10155629119002344_7868843100926377984_o.jpg

So far, I think Sideshow's figure looks better overall, each has pros and cons but neither delivered the definitive Maul.

I can’t see why HT wouldn’t add the cloak if they give us the droid and bike as that’s what was depicted in the film. I can only think that this is a proto because of the TBD tag or the cloak will be a SSC exclusive :slap

But for now it looks like the boots have next to no articulation. And the SSC ones have a lot...
For now it looks like I’ll get this one for the accessories, not for the figure itself. But it might improve.

Agreed, I snagged a Medicom robe for my Sideshow but if HT does a good one I'd be interested in that, and the wrist gauntlet and maybe a few other accessories, the base costume isn't wowing me at the moment, and the headsculpt being the same expression doesn't drive me to want it, if it has some form of posable eyes, we might be talking.

I can’t see why HT wouldn’t add the cloak if they give us the droid and bike as that’s what was depicted in the film. I can only think that this is a proto because of the TBD tag or the cloak will be a SSC exclusive :slap

I think they wanted to show him in an action pose to show off articulation, head sculpt and clothing. So the cloak is still ‘in the box’.

Agreed, I snagged a Medicom robe for my Sideshow but if HT does a good one I'd be interested in that, and the wrist gauntlet and maybe a few other accessories, the base costume isn't wowing me at the moment, and the headsculpt being the same expression doesn't drive me to want it, if it has some form of posable eyes, we might be talking.

I believe the last HT that still did PERS was BR or TDKRS possibly. Haven’t seen it used since. I think posable eyes will more than likely follow the Batfleck route, which they are actual eye attachments

I believe the last HT that still did PERS was BR or TDKRS possibly. Haven’t seen it used since. I think posable eyes will more than likely follow the Batfleck route, which they are actual eye attachments

DX15 Jack Sparrow has posable eyes, but they're not PERS, each eye moves independently like HT Hulk, I imagine something like this for Maul, and the first DX Bale Batman had a PERS where you reached a stick up inside the head to move them so there wouldn't be a sculpt seam, I could see a similar method used for Maul, being a bald human head, you can't really blend seams for a panel.

HT has also sculpted the tats, very interesting.

SDCC-2018-Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-008.jpg

SDCC-2018-Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-009.jpg

SDCC-2018-Hot-Toys-Star-Wars-010.jpg

Incredible.

Hot-Toys-2018-San-Diego-Display-First-Look-004.jpg

HT has also sculpted the tats, very interesting.
Ohh, I really like the furrowing around the brow - lends a different sort of intensity compared to Sideshow's 'Duel on Naboo' headsculpt. Not bothered about the sculpted tattoos as the application of them looks great imo, especially around the eyes.

I'm a bit stunned by it, I thought HT would be capable of Maul without sculpting the tattoos for guides. Same as Sideshow, on the shelf you'll hardly notice, and details like this soften in production for HT usually, but as a photographer, right now I feel like the HT sculpting of them might actually stand out more than Sideshow's. As it is, the HT Maul head looks like a realistically sculpted Applause head and not a lifelike 1/6 figure head. It's just surprising for me, as much as I think the Sideshow head looks alive and amazing, I expected that when we finally saw HT's take, it'd take all that's good with Sideshow and raise it to unexpected levels, right now they're just offering a slightly alternate expression.

Back