Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Definitely in for this. I’ll be torn on which version to get.. The speeder would be nice to change it up every now and then.

Unfortunately not in Premium format style.

This is perhaps the only PT figure I will be tempted with. It's too deep a rabbit hole for me. I kinda like the idea of the speeder bike, especially if he is simply by himself in a display with it as a background piece. But no doubt the price will be high and I'll take the standard version. He can command enough presence on his own.

I was just looking at the SS version (after seeing the first leak photo of the HT Maul) and thought no ankle pivot, surely HT will add ankle pivot. But no. That is a big negative imo. Especially with the cool pose they have him in.

Robe ends appear to have wire which is nice to add more effect to a pose.

Will keep a close eye on this one.

A pretty lean year for OT collectors though.

This is perhaps the only PT figure I will be tempted with. It's too deep a rabbit hole for me. I kinda like the idea of the speeder bike, especially if he is simply by himself in a display with it as a background piece. But no doubt the price will be high and I'll take the standard version. He can command enough presence on his own.

I was just looking at the SS version (after seeing the first leak photo of the HT Maul) and thought no ankle pivot, surely HT will add ankle pivot. But no. That is a big negative imo. Especially with the cool pose they have him in.

Robe ends appear to have wire which is nice to add more effect to a pose.

Will keep a close eye on this one.

A pretty lean year for OT collectors though.

Do you think that’s it for OT Hot Toys reveals this year? I hope not although looking at the YouTube video of their stand, they do seem to have a lot of releases coming out already.

Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

The SSC expression, eyes, boots and tailoring will be very hard to beat. But this one does come with a lot of great stuff... but as I’m sticking to mostly OT so I think I’ll be good with my SSC v2.... or will I?
Not much OT this year btw...

My excuse to get this - due to new canon Maul is still alive during OT so that makes him character from OT era. Dilema solved.

Instant PO for me, been waiting yrs for this..

Doesn't have the ugly head seam that the SS one does. Already winning in my book :x

Are you sure? That is what kept me from buying the Sideshow version.

You really don’t notice that seam in hand. Mostly noticeable in photos.

So Maul is a DX... then I don’t think I can skip him.

They keep saying on their social media expect more throughout the weekend...hope it happens!

My excuse to get this - due to new canon Maul is still alive during OT so that makes him character from OT era. Dilema solved.
Bad news. He's not alive during OT era, just the Age of the Empire.

You really don’t notice that seam in hand. Mostly noticeable in photos.

Indeed, I get people taking issue with it existing, but, it's a feature, and probably why Sideshow didn't worry about it, that you'll never notice on display. For me it's a hinder to my photography, but on display Sideshow maul looks incredible.

I'm not hating on the HT or choosing sides or trying to justify getting the Sideshow version, but I genuinely, so far, don't see anything about this figure that really blows Sideshow's away, and i would have expected it to make me instantly regret not holding off, as much as I love the Sideshow and was so glad I was able to get one, there are areas I foresaw an HT version improving upon and the con display, or at least photos so far from it, are not convincing me of that.

The areas for HT to improve on would be:

- Skin texture on the head.
- Lack of seam on the head.
- Including more accessories (cloak, single blade saber, probe droid wrist control)
- More accurate costume.

One thing I see being a bit polarizing is light up saber feature, because I see them either doing it with the double saber and people being upset with where and how the hand is positioned and it limiting pose options, or not including it and people being mad they didn't.

I think best bet is non-lit double saber, with a lit single blade, damaged saber.

What's crazy is there is a very good chance this comes in around $230 like Jedi Luke, a regular version without bike that is, same cost as Sideshow and it'll come with more in the package.

Indeed, I get people taking issue with it existing, but, it's a feature, and probably why Sideshow didn't worry about it, that you'll never notice on display. For me it's a hinder to my photography, but on display Sideshow maul looks incredible.

I'm not hating on the HT or choosing sides or trying to justify getting the Sideshow version, but I genuinely, so far, don't see anything about this figure that really blows Sideshow's away, and i would have expected it to make me instantly regret not holding off, as much as I love the Sideshow and was so glad I was able to get one, there are areas I foresaw an HT version improving upon and the con display, or at least photos so far from it, are not convincing me of that.

The areas for HT to improve on would be:

- Skin texture on the head.
- Lack of seam on the head.
- Including more accessories (cloak, single blade saber, probe droid wrist control)
- More accurate costume.

One thing I see being a bit polarizing is light up saber feature, because I see them either doing it with the double saber and people being upset with where and how the hand is positioned and it limiting pose options, or not including it and people being mad they didn't.

I think best bet is non-lit double saber, with a lit single blade, damaged saber.

What's crazy is there is a very good chance this comes in around $230 like Jedi Luke, a regular version without bike that is, same cost as Sideshow and it'll come with more in the package.

I read that this is gonna be a DX, so $230 won’t do it

I read that this is gonna be a DX, so $230 won’t do it

It's been stated as a deluxe, do you assume that means DX? Deluxe is HT's wording now for cases where there are two releases of a figure to give collectors who don't want the whole package a break. Examples being Age of Ultron Hulk where regular didn't include the "smash" upper body and alternate head that Deluxe included, Emperor Palpatine where regular is just him and Deluxe includes the throne, etc.

I believe Maul is just going to be a Deluxe and Regular like they've been doing, the DX line is basically dead outside of Jack Sparrow but I presume that was a DX because it just built on a foundation laid by a previous DX Jack.

In any case, HT needs to bring their A game to Maul to top their predecessor.

DA3AC806-2DB9-4779-BA1E-9BE865BBD01B.jpeg

Instagram.

b27106f21f9d41a7f78557cb67274e54.png

It's been stated as a deluxe, do you assume that means DX? Deluxe is HT's wording now for cases where there are two releases of a figure to give collectors who don't want the whole package a break. Examples being Age of Ultron Hulk where regular didn't include the "smash" upper body and alternate head that Deluxe included, Emperor Palpatine where regular is just him and Deluxe includes the throne, etc.

I believe Maul is just going to be a Deluxe and Regular like they've been doing, the DX line is basically dead outside of Jack Sparrow but I presume that was a DX because it just built on a foundation laid by a previous DX Jack.

No, I mean a DX not a deluxe. I’m fully aware of the difference. I don’t know how much to trust Hottoyscollectors on Instagram, but they state it as a fact.
96ce66421f4f5f64b67126a56bc19fff.jpg

Gotcha, I hadn't seen that post.

That's very interesting, wonder if posable eyes will be part of the package, if they do it'll likely be done the same way as Bale Batman. Just curious what about Maul will constitute it as a DX vs a standard release or a Deluxe, he doesn't come with the level of detail and accessories that typically define a DX.

Back