Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

I always thought there was a restrained intensity in the expression myself. I think it’s gonna be a blast seeing/taking side by side pics of these.

View attachment 418712

It still not there IMO as far as intensity..it’s there.but not quite. When I compare the two. must be the bland paint :dunno

The mouth still looks too scrunched

It still not there IMO as far as intensity..it’s there.but not quite. When I compare the two. must be the bland paint :dunno

The mouth still looks too scrunched

You don’t have him, do you?

It still not there IMO as far as intensity..must be the bland paint :dunno

We’re definitely looking at two different figures. :lol There’s nothing bland about the paint job, at least not on my shelf. It’s on par with anything HT has ever done in that regard. But, it’s an eye of the beholder thing I guess.

We’re definitely looking at two different figures. :lol There’s nothing bland about the paint job, at least not on my shelf. It’s on par with anything HT has ever done in that regard. But, it’s an eye of the beholder thing I guess.

Yes, it might be the best paint job SSC has ever done. Don’t think he has it, because then he would know.

I guess, and it always changes the perception when you have it in hand, I know for a fact this is always true with 1/6 :lol and since I don’t own the SSC , I have to accept your judgement.

But as my first 12” Maul , I’m still going with the HT..sorry :wave

I don't like the carved in tattoos. Hopefully that will not be necessary on the final prod sculpt.

But Maul, Dooku, Jango, Cody is a good start at a PT Villain line-up.

Waiting for Grievous and Nute Gunray to complete my set. :)

Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

I guess, and it always changes the perception when you have it in hand, I know for a fact this is always true with 1/6 :lol and since I don’t own the SSC , I have to accept your judgement.

But as my first 12” Maul , I’m still going with the HT..sorry :wave

But hey, no one says you shouldn’t go with the HT! I would too. No matter what you’ll get much more for your money I’m sure. The SSC version has almost no accessories. It’s more a matter of, should you get this if you already have the SSC or even which one is the better representation. No doubt the HT version will be the best if you want more than just Maul with his saber.

I don't like the carved in tattoos. Hopefully that will not be necessary on the final prod sculpt.

Depends on the final product , in my experience with HT, they could be hit or miss with sculpted lines as opposed to paint. Some sculpts look phenomenal in nature sunlight and othe light sources, others can look strange.

We’ll just have to see in the finished product

Didn't know you were into these PT figures Wor. I'm happy they've gone relatively quickly into the line, means more room for OT figures :)

But seriously whats left ? Grievous, Nute (maybe), Padme, some more troopers, battle droid. A couple more iterations of Obi-Wan & Anakin and Qui-Gon. OK that's a lot. 10 figures I guess.

Didn't know you were into these PT figures Wor. I'm happy they've gone relatively quickly into the line, means more room for OT figures :)

But seriously whats left ? Grievous, Nute (maybe), Padme, some more troopers, battle droid. A couple more iterations of Obi-Wan & Anakin and Qui-Gon. OK that's a lot. 10 figures I guess.

Don’t forget Mace and possibly random Jedis in the PT. Can’t remember all their names..but I believe there was Shak Ti and Plo Koon

Didn't know you were into these PT figures Wor.

I like my villains, you know that. Would buy them all.

It's the hero characters of the PT that I will likely not get -- no 3PO, no R2, no Obi-Wan (sorry guys)... I might get a Queen Amidala though depending which version. Not so interested in teen mid-drift sexpot. I like the original Queen look with those lamps on her hem.

I like my villains, you know that. Would buy them all.

It's the hero characters of the PT that I will likely not get -- no 3PO, no R2, no Obi-Wan (sorry guys)... I might get a Queen Amidala though depending which version. Not so interested in teen mid-drift sexpot. I like the original Queen look with those lamps on her hem.

I’m with you on all this.

I like the original Queen look with those lamps on her hem.

I think the women in the HT team will be all over that version !

It's a pretty cool and iconic look though. I think they'll do that version for sure.

I wonder if they'll have the balls to do Jar-Jar ?? Seems I have erased him from my memory, didn't even think of him in the previous list. :lol

I always thought there was a restrained intensity in the expression myself. I think it’s gonna be a blast seeing/taking side by side pics of these.

There are facets to Maul, subtle, but they're there, in some moments, his face is almost relaxed but the combo of his tattoos and the contacts cast a burning intensity upon his face, which is what I feel Sideshow nailed, other moments, he was being expressive with his face as part of the heat of battle.

SIDESHOW MAUL

latest

HOT TOYS MAUL

52677848-c4d8-4e5c-9d6d-462e73f201b2-screen-shot-2018-05-18-at-123743-pm.png

Depending on how you hold Maul in your fandom mind, one or the other will likely speak more to your tastes. I personally enjoy the Sideshow route more, I enjoy the moments where Maul seems cold and holding his hate inside where only his eyes really show it to be the best moments as a character. I don't feel HT's sculpt is inferior to Sideshow, just not my cup of tea and with HT's abilities, I would have expected a portrait to build upon all the good qualities Sideshow already captured, but so far, it only looks like the same techniques Sideshow employed being used on a different expression of sculpt.

There are facets to Maul, subtle, but they're there, in some moments, his face is almost relaxed but the combo of his tattoos and the contacts cast a burning intensity upon his face, which is what I feel Sideshow nailed, other moments, he was being expressive with his face as part of the heat of battle.

SIDESHOW MAUL

latest

HOT TOYS MAUL

Depending on how you hold Maul in your fandom mind, one or the other will likely speak more to your tastes. I personally enjoy the Sideshow route more, I enjoy the moments where Maul seems cold and holding his hate inside where only his eyes really show it to be the best moments as a character. I don't feel HT's sculpt is inferior to Sideshow, just not my cup of tea and with HT's abilities, I would have expected a portrait to build upon all the good qualities Sideshow already captured, but so far, it only looks like the same techniques Sideshow employed being used on a different expression of sculpt.

Either works for me as long as I can keep doing dynamic poses

I think Sideshow got the horns and eyes right, but I think HT nailed the rest.

SIDESHOW MAUL

latest

HOT TOYS MAUL

Hot Toys has yet to nail the snarl for villains. Emperor could have had it. Maul almost has it. Maybe in China people don't snarl ? :lol

Sure its a pretty specific facial expression which may not fit in all poses, but for Maul I think they could have gotten away with it. Would have added more to the figure over and above the SS version.

Back