Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahoy!
Great figure. Not a fan of the prequels myself, but I've always liked Maul's design.
Cheers

Attachments

• maul2.jpg
    maul2.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 473
  • maul 1.jpg
    maul 1.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 455
Ha Ha, I waited to inspect my Maul and sure enough I discovered that one of the swoosh blades was missing. Any one else have this issue?
I also noted that the holes on the saber seem to be a different sizes. You really have to find the blade that fits correctly.

So, after months of deliberating and procrastinating which version to get (with or without the Speeder), I finally went ahead and ordered this guy. I decided to go non Speeder. As much as it would've been cool to have it (as I have the 3 3/4" Hasbro and the 6" S.H. Figuarts speeders) I don't have the space now (barely have space for Maul as it is) and just don't think I ever would've displayed it. Nor do I really feel it is worth an extra $123. I think it's something I can live without (but i'm sure one day I'll be annoyed with myself for not ordering it :mad:). And if I decide it would've made a cool background diorama, I do have the Hasbro 12" version.

Someone was kind enough to post their $20 off code in the SSC codes thread (thanks medicineman3). So with that and the last of my $75 in rewards (mostly saving for either this or the HT deluxe R2) I decided to stop waiting. I was hoping to wait till after next week's NYCC to see if SS gave out a few more RP codes, but since they only gave out $6 for SDCC, I doubt they would've done more for NYCC. So the $20 code was a better deal. Plus I didn't want to wait too long and miss out on the exclusive holo figure, as I'll stick him on the parted out light up table I bought from the deluxe EPI Obi-Wan along with Sidious and kneeling Anakin.

Looking forward to finally having a good 12" Darth Maul. I never opened up my SS v1 Maul. I think this will be a slight upgrade...:lol

Now hopefully I get a straight and not slightly warped lightsaber hilt...:(

Where does Sideshow give out codes?

Did another mod to Maul today. I noticed his outer tunic lapels were spread too far apart and bunched up but when I tried to draw them together it wasn?t happening. I noticed HT had unnecessarily sewn them together with a single thread. Similar to the unnecessary threads used on Palps hood that hindered it from being futzed properly.

I snipped it loose and removed it so that I could pull his tunic more closed like in the film.

This pic shows it still in place on his right side and removed on his left.

View attachment 467156

Both sides pulled closed a bit more.

View attachment 467157

Happen to have a link to the magnets your bought? Great stand btw. Wish he came with a 6x4 by default

Happen to have a link to the magnets your bought? Great stand btw. Wish he came with a 6x4 by default

Thanks! The magnet I used was from a batch I bought almost 15 years ago but if you do a search for 3/8 diameter rare earth magnets then you should find what you need.

Did another mod to Maul today. I noticed his outer tunic lapels were spread too far apart and bunched up but when I tried to draw them together it wasn?t happening. I noticed HT had unnecessarily sewn them together with a single thread. Similar to the unnecessary threads used on Palps hood that hindered it from being futzed properly.

I snipped it loose and removed it so that I could pull his tunic more closed like in the film.

This pic shows it still in place on his right side and removed on his left.

View attachment 467156

Both sides pulled closed a bit more.

View attachment 467157

Where did you get the small Darth Maul stand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you get the small Darth Maul stand?

I make those stands, Bacara. I’ve got a bunch of different styles and sizes for a variety of characters. I should have a sandy, desert style done for Maul soon too.

I make those stands, Bacara. I?ve got a bunch of different styles and sizes for a variety of characters. I should have a sandy, desert style done for Maul soon too.

Awesome [emoji122] they are ?most impressive?. I wish they?d included one as the base is a little too big.

Finally got to free my Maul and Sith Speeder... so much stuff to look at... all looks great.

I didn't have a long time to futz or pose him. Happier than I thought I would be with that uncharacteristic screaming head.

I was also really impressed with that Sith Probe Droid... haven't heard too much talk about it, so...

Sith Probe COMP.jpg

Really nice and large compared to the old "Maul's balls" Sideshow droids.

Also, the stoic face has a lot of subtle character in the right lighting.

Head COMP.jpg

I noticed that straight-on light makes him look a bit passive, but side-light gives him a very stern and aggressive demeanor...

Passive.................................................................................Aggressive

Maul COMP.jpg

Nice shot syndragore!

Wor Gar - Got mine last week and have yet to unpack him 😏 The probe droid has always looked great (in pics I?ve seen). Paint apps look subtle yet effective in detail 👍🏽

Got my Darth Maul delivered from SS yesterday on Force Friday!! :D First HT DX figure I ever purchased. Damn is the box heavy!! And the velvety texture is quite nice. As expected, looks even better in hand. Even the open mouth head sculpt looks good. Neck is a little short. Need to get a small magnet like coco showed.

The Sith Probe Droid is quite nice, but was a pain to get the little antennae plugged in as it seemed like it only wanted to go in one way. And it does seem just a tad wee bit wobbly on the stand. The cloak was also a pain to get it to look decent on him. It looks great from behind how they sewed it to drape, but hard to pull forward over his face and get it to lay looking natural. And the front of the cloak sticks forward, so I folded it a bit to have it open.

His lightsaber seems just a slight bit warped, but only noticeable if I lay it down on a flat surface with both blades plugged in. Not sure if I should ask for a replacement from SS, as I can't seem to get a decent picture of it showing the slight warp. The blades are also a pain to get in. Need to use more a slight twisting motion than just simply pushing it in. And even tighter when trying to remove them. And the hands are definitely a pain in the ass to swap with that little piece of material over the joint. Very hard to get a good grip to push on the hand.

And finally, the upper left corner of my box had some slight damage. The shipper was fine, so must've been like that previously. Only worried it could peel over time, but won't be on display anyway.

Also, the included stand it just too damn big. I never even bothered to remove it from the box. I'm using a DX Obi-Wan stand I picked up for $5. Really makes no sense for HT not to include 2 stands.

Here's 2 crappy phone pics. One with and without the flash.

1.jpg

3.jpg

Back