Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. Unfortunately I can’t control the limit of the device that you are utilizing. When a video is recently uploaded, it also takes YouTube A while to process high-resolution videos, especially 4K. Full resolution for some folks, depending on your technology, and even the location of your person (meaning country, state, etc.), May not be available for hours. One prime example, is trying to stream 4K from cell phones. For many folks, your data plan, and even sometimes Wi-Fi, will limit you to only 1080P. So like I said, I have no control, I can’t help you out there brother.

Yeah thought it might still be uploading somewhere. I'm in Europe, so that could also be a factor. I'll have a look later on.

Thanks man

Yeah thought it might still be uploading somewhere. I'm in Europe, so that could also be a factor. I'll have a look later on.

Thanks man

No problem duder. Even on my end, I’m just now getting access to 1080p. Literally 1 minute ago. Haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It changed to 1080 a little while ago here in Europe for me.

That final side by side comparison is a bit startling! I pre-ordered the HT as soon as it went up, and also bought a Sideshow 2.0 (first batch) in the meantime because I knew it was a good figure.

The HT looks like it needs a bit of work. Have you checked to see he has a padded under suit?

Thanks for sharing I Am Toys!
The clarity on my stream was crystal. Really good side by side comparison, as much as I want a Hot Toys Darth Maul i much prefer the ssc head sculpt.

Thanks for sharing I Am Toys!
The clarity on my stream was crystal. Really good side by side comparison, as much as I want a Hot Toys Darth Maul i much prefer the ssc head sculpt.

No problem brother. I couldn’t believe it man, I was blown away by the comparison at the end. I was totally expecting the opposite.

Great review!
What I thought. For once I prefer the SSC version. Not sure the sculpt can be beat even though HT did very well. Honestly on display the SSC version looks like he’s alive.
I might get the HT for the accessories along the way though.
Really surprised me that SSC is taller than HT. It’s already quite small.

Really surprised me that SSC is taller than HT. It’s already quite small.

That was a surprise to me as well. I think I worked out that that the SS 2.0 was only slightly shorter than it should be, so didn't expect to see the HT even shorter. Longer ankle pegs would sort that out.

The SS 2.0 is a really good figure, but there's one thing that always seems off. He has a small head sculpt, especially when compared to other figures. I think SS were overcompensating for their earlier giant noggins.

If the HT doesn't have a fat suit, then a switch to a narrow shoulder body should cure his bulkiness. I've transferred the clothes from the old Sideshow 1.0 to a narrow shoulder and the proportions look okay to me. I spray painted the neck black this morning in preparation to receive the second HT sculpt.

Three Mauls will be fighting over who gets to ride the speeder, but I think the 1.0 might win.

That was a surprise to me as well. I think I worked out that that the SS 2.0 was only slightly shorter than it should be, so didn't expect to see the HT even shorter. Longer ankle pegs would sort that out.

The SS 2.0 is a really good figure, but there's one thing that always seems off. He has a small head sculpt, especially when compared to other figures. I think SS were overcompensating for their earlier giant noggins.

If the HT doesn't have a fat suit, then a switch to a narrow shoulder body should cure his bulkiness. I've transferred the clothes from the old Sideshow 1.0 to a narrow shoulder and the proportions look okay to me. I spray painted the neck black this morning in preparation to receive the second HT sculpt.

Three Mauls will be fighting over who gets to ride the speeder, but I think the 1.0 might win.

I’m not sure his head is too small. I think it’s more that most other figures have heads that are slightly too big tbh... and that might be why the SSC Maul figure might be one of the most ‘real looking’ figures on display.
Dunno, when I look at him and see pictures I see his head size as very natural.
All this said, if I had to choose between the SSC v2 at original retail price and HT I would hands down choose HT for all the goods you get. No matter how fantastic I think the SSC version is - it was way overpriced for such a bare bone figure.
Edit:
Made this comparison between SSC Maul and HT Luke. They are about the same height so their heads should be about the same though Park has a slimmer face than Hamill. They are almost exactly the same since when you extract the hair. So I think the smaller head look is due to the face paint.
453981b41e805e8006d15bca0c49853d.jpg

SS is slightly taller than Hot Toys in that vid while Hot Toys is much bulkier, which obviously SS is quite a very tiny figure.

I’m not sure his head is too small. I think it’s more that most other figures have heads that are slightly too big tbh... and that might be why the SSC Maul figure might be one of the most ‘real looking’ figures on display.
Dunno, when I look at him and see pictures I see his head size as very natural.
All this said, if I had to choose between the SSC v2 at original retail price and HT I would hands down choose HT for all the goods you get. No matter how fantastic I think the SSC version is - it was way overpriced for such a bare bone figure.
Edit:
Made this comparison between SSC Maul and HT Luke. They are about the same height so their heads should be about the same though Park has a slimmer face than Hamill. They are almost exactly the same since when you extract the hair. So I think the smaller head look is due to the face paint.

Yes, I think there's an element of illusion involved because the sides of his face are black, and he lacks hair, of course. Lighter colours such as Caucasian skin tones have the effect of making faces look larger, while darker colours have the reverse effect. I've never physically tested the sculpt nose to nose with others, until just now with HT Stormtrooper Luke. It's just the impression he's always given me since I got him. My Maul has ended up amongst helmeted figures and Sideshow aliens, so that's exaggerated the difference.

HT have traditionally had smaller sculpts than Sideshow (up until around SS TOD Indiana Jones), so their wider Maul heads are unusual.

Thanks for posting the Maul's side by side, looking at them together, I feel like the ultimate Maul would be a mix and match of both figures, but if you could have only one straight from the manufacturer, HT is better overall and best value for the price of the figure.

64209982_126267178588075_5441049640463357254_n.jpg

Give the chance, I'd take the HT figure, swap the HT belt with Sideshow, swap the HT gauntlets with Sideshow and then you'd be close to spot on. The HT gauntlets look too smooth and narrow, Sideshow captured more of the Maul glove look, and the belt just looks oversized on HT, specifically the the under portion behind the 4 little belts. Looking at them side by side, the little belts look the same size on both figures so it's just a matter of having the under portion smaller.

cRe2GY2.jpg

JY4LqvI.jpg

CJqFcJJ.jpg

5tV1M7C.jpg

I don't like the red color on the Sideshow, but the shape of the head does seem more accurate.

That's interesting, feel the HT is too dark red. That pudgy face, short stocky body...HT needs to put this on on their blooper reel. There may be some slight better details on the accessories....but on the whole....the SS v2 is still the best looking Maul for me personally.

Not a Maul expert, but HT version seemed more accurate to me. Slimness of SSC version resembles Maul in Rebels series.

Man, magnetic heads... they did that with their kerberos figure too... call me old fashioned, but I like a good ole neck peg to secure the head. Magnetic just seems too loose.

Couple questions for those who have him, as I haven't seen confirmation yet.

Is the neck molded to the body?

Is there a "fat suit" like Jedi Luke or just a True Type underneath?

In the video, the arm posing looked limited like the Luke fat suit caused.

Couple questions for those who have him, as I haven't seen confirmation yet.

Is the neck molded to the body?

Is there a "fat suit" like Jedi Luke or just a True Type underneath?

In the video, the arm posing looked limited like the Luke fat suit caused.

In Figure Collecting for Dummy’s Maul review, he’s able to get the arms above Maul’s head for that dynamic pose. Just takes some time and finesse.

Yeah it's a weird one. Even though the SS appears to have the better proportions and likeness to Ray Park... the HT still looks like it would be the cooler figure to have because of the greater detail and overall higher quality.

I do wish the head didn't look so round and the neck so short though.

One things for sure, we don’t have to worry about any crooked blades with the HT. My sideshow had a wonky lightsaber.

PERS makes the difference for me on sculpts. Even if sideshow has an edge, that makes up for it. So many more posing options and the dynamic stand.

Back