Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The prequel trilogy is actually quite good when you watch them as 1 long film and trim the worst/most hated scenes.

I think the Sideshow Maul may actually be superior here. I think the tailoring us good and the head sculpt cannot be beat. Hot Toys still has far better accessories.

"SS/superior"... these two simply do not co-exist together.

Ss is better by a landslide.

tenor.gif

I will wait until in hand for the ht/ss verdict for myself. I think the ht so far looks like a man in a suit. Not sure if it’s ray park, but it looks human.
My real issue is the stand. We should have gotten 2 stands with the speeder version. Looks like I may have to hit up coco for a custom stand when I receive mine.

I think the only thing that HT will beat SS, in terms of the actual figure itself, is the body.
SS bodies and notoriously loose when it comes to posing. Even just a museum pose becomes risky because they tend to have loose ankles or knees. If SS could come up with a tighter jointed body they would have more of my business.

Everything else is about even at first glance if you don’t take into account accessories, price, packaging, display options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far I like the look of the SS Maul over HT’s but in hand that may change. If I decide to buy HT’s later on that is. That side by side posted a couple pages back doesn’t do HT any favors when it comes to my opinion.

I think the SSC is comparable to HT’s Maul but I’m my opinion the HT is definitely better. I think there’s far more detail and the body proportions look better. I’ve always said the SSC looks too skinny.

Both companies fail to match Park’s proportions, Sideshow made his outfit tailored almost skin tight and HT looks over bulked either due to fat suit or the body used.

Park is fit, but not bulky, by Maul looks bulkier because of the lay of his costume, I posted plenty of reference here, neither company hits it so it’s more a matter of which miss is better to you, too bulky or too skinny, unless someone confirms a fat suit and we see some HT’s with it removed, then they may take an edge.

To me, HT wins in terms of overall quality and pers. Gotta say tho, if Sideshow did all their sculpts on par with their v2 Maul, I would sport a lot more of their releases on my shelves cause it is stellar.

I have both the sideshow and hot toys maul and the version one sideshow maul, and I really think the v2 sideshow one is the best, tho I am using some accessories from the hot toys one with my sideshow v2 namely the saber and cloak. Hot toys is the better value for all he comes with but the sideshow really is the better " figure" I'm glad I have one of each tho.

Cmon bro...don’t you know? If it has the Hot Toys title, it automatically is better......
I mean generally Hot Toys is a higher quality figure especially in comparison with Sideshow. This might be one of the only times that a Sideshow release is a contender for being as good or in some ways better. Personally I’d still say the Hot Toys release is overall a better package for everything it comes with. Compared with the Sideshow release that only has the lightsaber, or if you got the exclusive the damaged hilt.

Back