Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We're on the same page regarding the first sentence. What I was referring to was this "One (1) double-bladed lightsaber hilt (detachable into single-bladed lightsaber)"

So, it sounds like the unlit double bladed saber can be split into two single bladed sabers. So what I am wondering is if this is in addition to the single bladed hilt.

I agree. Sounds like a bunch of sabers... including the one that breaks into two.

I don’t read it as any battle damage sabers. From my interpretation, you get four sabers. Two light up and two don’t. The two that light up is a double and a single blade(tattooine duel). I don’t think we get any battle damage one. Hope I’m wrong but I have the SS exclusive Maul that has the BD Saber.

I don’t read it as any battle damage sabers. From my interpretation, you get four sabers. Two light up and two don’t. The two that light up is a double and a single blade(tattooine duel). I don’t think we get any battle damage one. Hope I’m wrong but I have the SS exclusive Maul that has the BD Saber.

There is a battle damaged saber included, you can see it in a few of the pics. The question is where is it included and it seems that the one that breaks into a single bladed saber is the one that can be converted into the battle damaged single saber.

There is a battle damaged saber included, you can see it in a few of the pics. The question is where is it included and it seems that the one that breaks into a single bladed saber is the one that can be converted into the battle damaged single saber.

I see the BD saber. Strange it doesn’t say it on the description. Maybe 5 sabers then.

I see the BD saber. Strange it doesn’t say it on the description. Maybe 5 sabers then.

I think it does say it on the description, if I’m interpreting it correctly. I think it’s still 4 sabers but the double bladed one can be broken down into the battle damaged. I could be wrong though.

One (1) double-bladed lightsaber hilt (detachable into single-bladed lightsaber)

I think you get a cap for the battle damaged one also. To close off the separation point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I honestly think since Hot Toys has announced this figure, people automatically assume the ss is inferior by association. I actually lean more towards the ss sculpt and think that it damn near looks like a real human, while HT version still looks awesome, does not so much.

I honestly think since Hot Toys has announced this figure, people automatically assume the ss is inferior by association. I actually lean more towards the ss sculpt and think that it damn near looks like a real human, while HT version still looks awesome, does not so much.

My SS Maul is awesome (my son is psyched about getting mine when this comes out) and I don’t bash anything about it but the price. SS really needs to charge what’s reasonable for what you get. I’ve seen way too many examples of barebone figures from SS that cost HT prices, which is a shame to me because it’s the company that got me into 1/6. Clearly, HT is giving us way more bang for our buck. Until SS decides to make it worth my money, I’m sticking to HT figures. Even at $280, this is a hell of a deal for all that you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... Even at $280, this is a hell of a deal for all that you get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signs of the times...

Who would have thought just a year or two ago that $280 for a figure would be a hell of a deal?...

This is one figure that I do want, as I need to replace the old original SS Maul figure, but I haven't just yet pulled the pre-order lever. (And I want the Sith Speeder version.)

Signs of the times...

Who would have thought just a year or two ago that $280 for a figure would be a hell of a deal?...

Its not, far from it. But we have people who seem to have no ceiling price when it comes to certain properties they love.

As long as they are will to pay the inflated prices they will continue to rise.

I have only been collecting 1/6 for a short time , but the average prices have shot up about 50 bucks per figure.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you xipotec. Prices are going up too fast.

But comparing the Sideshow version, price and (lack of) accessoires, to this HT package the higher price seems worth it. They know what they are doing sigh. :dunno

ps I own a quite enjoy the Sideshow Maul

Its not, far from it. But we have people who seem to have no ceiling price when it comes to certain properties they love.

As long as they are will to pay the inflated prices they will continue to rise.

I heard this very quote from people when Sideshow Star Wars figures jumped from 79.99 to 89.99. And I've heard it every year since for over a decade. Yet many of the same people are still here collecting. :lol

As long as people continue to want and pay for high end collectables, these companies will continue to advance the hobby by increasing detail and accuracy at a premium price.

If you look at how far these figures have advanced just in the last 10 years you can see where the money is going.

The only thing that will drive the price down, at this point, is competition. If another company comes along and offers a better product than Hot Toys for a cheaper price, they will be forced to lower their prices.

Unfortunately we don’t have any other company that comes close to the detail, accuracy, and value you can get from a Hot Toys Figure.

It's impossible to get lower prices in this hobby.

Its easy to drive prices down with, say, cars... because everyone wants a different one.

But in this hobby, its total OCD, and everyone wants the best. Period. So you could have 100 companies competing, but there would be only one that's "the best"... and therefore they would set the price... and set it high.

This has already been proven. Look around you. Its HT.

While I concur that competition is what drives prices down, I think what helps HT have a monopoly on the market is they pretty much possess ALL the licenses to all the major hot franchises, so there’s not many other places people can go.

HT is essentially going to remain the Facebook of the 1/6 world. Someone else better has to come along that out competes them by producing the same figures from the same franchises they do, just as Facebook did with MySpace. Having niche licenses like Ghostbusters and James Bond as being your flagship licenses, isn’t going to cut it.

But then that company will be king, and their prices will soar.

Back