Hot Toys - DX16 / DX17 - The Phantom Menace - Darth Maul and Sith Speeder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got my first Hot Toys figure (ANH Luke) just under 2 years ago and I still feel brand new to the game. I'm half glad I don't have 50 figures I want replacing but also missed out on tons of older releases. I have almost 30 1/6 figures right now which seems like plenty. At least I know I don't make enough to support a 1/4 scale statue habit haha.

Isn't this the vicious circle of purchasing and replacing figures?

I remember when Sideshow released their first Maul figure for $60. Considering Hasbro made a $20 version, paying 3X for a far better version was worth the investment. However, comparing the 1st Sideshow release to the 2nd, the second is better but cost 4X more but the improvements are not warranting the cost. It would be nice if they offered trade-ins.

It will be interesting comparing Sideshow Maul to Hot Toys. Man, the conversation we will be having will be pure gold!!

What's the point because all of the Hot Toys fanboys will automatically say that version is better even if it aint

I remember when Sideshow released their first Maul figure for $60. Considering Hasbro made a $20 version, paying 3X for a far better version was worth the investment. However, comparing the 1st Sideshow release to the 2nd, the second is better but cost 4X more but the improvements are not warranting the cost. It would be nice if they offered trade-ins.

It will be interesting comparing Sideshow Maul to Hot Toys. Man, the conversation we will be having will be pure gold!!

I view it that if I valued the figures quality enough to pay £200 for it, then I do not need to replace it. Certainly not until the technology advances to lifelike skin.

I am waiting for Admiral Ackbar, Lando Bespin, General Veers etc and I still hope Baze, Death Star Trooper and Gonk get released. Those last 3 would be so much more desired than an update of a character that already looks great at this scale.

I view it that if I valued the figures quality enough to pay £200 for it, then I do not need to replace it. Certainly not until the technology advances to lifelike skin.

I am waiting for Admiral Ackbar, Lando Bespin, General Veers etc and I still hope Baze, Death Star Trooper and Gonk get released. Those last 3 would be so much more desired than an update of a character that already looks great at this scale.
I justify the price now as I see it as I'm one and done now on that specific figure. Having bought numerous Hasbro 3.75" incarnations and 12" versions from them and Sideshow over the last 20 years.

These Hot Toys are pretty amazing shelf presence and any future possible improvements would be way over the price I could pay to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

*does math quickly*

You've bought more than one figure every month for the last almost 2 years.

Yeah that sounds like a lot lol. I did a lot of catching up in the beginning. The intent when I first started was to be only ANH figures and most were already released by then. Within 2-3 months I had Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Han, Chewie, 2 Stormtroopers, and the droids. I branched out into other lines more recently and also decided to go for all OT/PT stuff for now.

My plan was only to get the most important character of each franchise (Star Wars Darth Vader, Marvel Iron Man, DC Wonder Woman). Totally failed lol

But the larger items take up so much space you're out of the hobby within 10-15 pieces.

I've never understood the statue collectors. Yes, they're very eye catching, but they take up a lot more space, they are stuck in one pose, and HT usually beats them in head sculpt likeness. Plus they cost way more. The only statue that was a must-have for me was a 1/6 Elvira.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've never understood the statue collectors. Yes, they're very eye catching, but they take up a lot more space, they are stuck in one pose, and HT usually beats them in head sculpt likeness. Plus they cost way more. The only statue that was a must-have for me was a 1/6 Elvira.

Yeah, but statues will have your place looking like a museum vs looking like a toy store. [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I can always make room. I build.

Me too. Check my expansions...

Wor-Gar Mumbai abode.jpg

No one can call statues dolls.

Me either to be honest !

No one can call statues dolls.

But then there is that.......:lol

I’m not a statue guy either. I rarely repose my figures so in a sense they are like statues. However knowing that I have the option for repose is where you get your “bang for the buck”!!

The ability to pose and the high-quality head sculpt are both part of what makes the best of these figures pretty lifelike. For me action poses are great for short durations but they take away from the realism a bit — someone standing still might do so for an extended period whereas an action pose would normally be a quick moment in time.

Nothing wrong with statues or quarter scale but often the options are far too limited and the realism on human faces is usually lacking (outside HT).

ROTJ Vader looks incredible.

But you've been here longer than me. The hobby won't let you go.

I know!! I have had long periods of no new purchases, only to come back and go hunting for some figures that I missed in the interim! :slap

It is and it royally sucks... I've replaced just about all of my SS LOTR figures and have come a long way in doing the same for SS Star Wars figures. Throw in the new, never released before figures, other lines and it's an insane chasing of one's tail. A trade in offer, even if for peanuts, would help ease the pain and suffering... :monkey2

I’m not a statue guy either. I rarely repose my figures so in a sense they are like statues. However knowing that I have the option for repose is where you get your “bang for the buck”!!

I'm pretty much the same: pose and leave alone. But knowing that you can tinker with the pose or with additional accessories definitely provides that supposed added value.

I've got plenty of statues as well but those are mostly busts, helms, environments, etc., from the LOTR line. View those differently.

I like both statues and 1/6. I have way more 1/6 for the obvious reasons. For me statues are reserved for really important characters, no 2nd and 3rd tier characters. You can't beat the look of a really great statue, but 1/6 is generally more fun.

While statues do look good, I don’t like the fact that they’re stuck in that one pose. 1/6 figures to me are essentially poseable statues.

Yes, I like having control over my figures and making them do what I want them to do. :lol

Back