Hot Toys DX15 Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys DX Captain Jack Sparrow (Dead Men Tell No Tales)

I have the old dx and ordered the new version. If I had to choose one or the other I would definitely go old version. That steering wheel is spectacular. The base on the new one is cool but it's the type of thing I eventually put in the box

Right and I could wait to see what happens with other

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Yeah, who knows how this proto is going to turn out. You already know what your getting with the 06.

And again that is a great price.

Now if you had said $400...

Edit:
It's crazy we are even debating this. I mean the 06 is a six year old figure yet here we are. And deservedly so because that figure was/is a masterpiece.

Last edited:

Just pre ordered at BBTS, $264.99 is a great price! Sure beats DX06 secondary market.

Yeah, who knows how this proto is going to turn out. You already know what your getting with the 06.

And again that is a great price.

Now if you had said $400...

Edit:
It's crazy we are even debating this. I mean the 06 is a six year old figure yet here we are. And deservedly so because that figure was/is a masterpiece.
Very true I know i don't own the dx06 but I have heard it's a masterpiece

I could see why a lot of people would prefer the old version, particularly for the stand, but it shouldn't be lost on anyone that this is still a great looking piece. For those of us that missed out on the original, it's a great way to add Captain Jack to our collections without breaking the bank for the original. I know the original is one of the best ever in a lot of people's opinions, but the new one is great in it's own ways.

I preordered, and can't wait for Sparrow to get here already. Hate these long waits!

I own a DX06 & I've still jumped on the Pre-Order train. I believe MaulFan mentioned this a few pages ago, but in the current market, I think the asking price is quite fair. I even like the zany PF-like display base! As far as the smirking sculpt, it looks better to me than the current Han Solo Stormtrooper prototype.

I think the figure is fantastic, it just isn't a big enough of a leap forward like the 06 was back in the day. Again, it's hard to top greatness.. plus other than age not much has changed w/the character. You can't go wrong with either but for me it feels "been there.."

I hope it's from a better movie though.

What makes a Hot Toys figure worthy of DX status? TFA Rey came with an entire second outfit, accessories and a droid that rolls and lights up. Shouldn't she have been a DX? Seems like so much more came with her than this release.

PO'd this today using a $20 code at SSC, so essentially got it for retail without tax. I currently have the AWE Jack Sparrow and will replace it with this one.

Question for anyone who will listen if you had someone selling a dx06 for 275$ vs getting the new what what you choose I was debating grabbing for now then could always sell if the new one is desired?

You should still buy the Dx06 it's an awesome figure in its own right. And still get the new one to see the difference between them. And sell the one you don't want.

I already have the DX06, but I'd really like to upgrade mine with that new standard head, coat, and puffy undershirt. This new version has waaay too many belts; it looks like a mess.

The base is creative, but I prefer the ship wheel.

I don't see enough improvement here to justify paying for a second Jack Sparrow IMO. Maybe if it had been the Cannibal King version. :monkey2

PO'd this today using a $20 code at SSC, so essentially got it for retail without tax.

$20 tax and another $19 shipping in CA... :lol

I'll pay $6 and no tax at BBTS if I keep my order. Of course, I'll have to wait another 4 weeks for it to ship and then another 10 days to get to me.

Probably pick this up for less than $220 by the time this is released and the movie's long gone.

I always imagined that if they did CotBP version this would be the base. I'm considering doing some work to have it reflect Curse more but we will see. It would be nice if that shark was removable to give that option but I think that's asking a lot from HT lol

First thing I thought when I saw the flag. :lol

I've got DX06 without his coat or hat on... so this figure will be nice to utilize those along with the Port Royal arrival image.

haha great minds guys! :hi5: :rock

While I would LOVE an official Hot Toys COTBP Jack, I will gladly use my custom for that first arrival scene for now :)

photo3_zpsb67aec2e-1_zps4d4119e2.jpg

Overall, my favorite coat from a figure I've owned was the Medicom, as far as right out of the box. Black is not at all the right color but looked so much better overall on the figure, with the old MMS Jack I eventually swapped him onto an HT Slim body and used the Medicom coat instead for a kit bash, before DX06 came out.

I don't know why, but HT seems to struggle with certain wardrobe elements. It took 3 Ledger Jokers before finally getting the right shade of purple. We're on our third Jack Sparrow and this is the best coat from them yet, but still not there.

Good news is, it's very easy to modify the color, at least DX06 was. I was able to do this just dry brushing with paint.

*pic*

This time around I might try to get more brown into the gray to get it more accurate, but I was happy enough with it. In most shots and images, if I were to label it a color I'd sum it up as gray. There's a cool documentary about Jack's wardrobe on the Dead Man's Chest DVD which talks about the unique qualities of his coat, but you also get a good look at it on a rack in wardrobe, not tinted by cinematic lighting and effects.

I love that doc on Jack's wardrobe on the DMC DVD. Probably one of the best special features on any of the films. It was that and the Jack Sparrow costuming website where I got all my info on his wardrobe.

also great idea on painting the coat. I have some soft fabric paints that could be mixed to make the greyish brown...might have to try that with once this ships almost a year from now :lol

Last edited:

Overall, they took the base parts from DX06 and improved on some, so it looks great and saves me crazy prices on eBay for the original.

That said, 3 key issues.

- Smiling sculpt doesn't have as good a likeness and the DX06 smirk sculpt was better.
- HT still can't get the color of his coat right, 3rd attempt later.
- Hat still sucks, it doesn't capture the right shape for Jack's hat.

Kind of sad, but Diamond select has captured the hat shape and coat color better on a 7" figure.

DCL46499lg.jpg

What's wrong with the color of his coat?

So the DX is alive.... makes so much difference the eyes give life!! Wish BD Robocop was a DX! Yoda should have been a DX with his puppet eyes!! I'm gonna go and see my DX06 downstairs and marvel at a truly master of a piece
Y

So happy the DX line is back. I can't wait to see what else comes out in the line.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DX eyes are hit and miss. As seen on Indiana Jones if they are set wrong they create an "eyeliner" look. On my DX Bespin Luke and Joker 2.0 they look great.

Since Capt. Jack wears more eyelines than any girl I've ever met it's not much of a risk on this figure.

Ordered. The DX 6 was one I wish I had ordered at the time. This is an acceptable compromise for me. (But I do want the steering wheel stand)

Back