HOT TOYS - DX15 - Batman Returns KEATON BATMAN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen Birdman last night by the way and Michael Douglas's performance was truely outstanding. I hope he wins the academy award for this role.

Is that a reference to what I read or heard about Keaton that his actual name is Michael Douglas?

Yes, I't kind of funny that everybody refers to this figure as the "Keaton Batman" while the real name of the actor isn't actually Keaton.

It relates to the theme of Birdman, but go see that movie, it is truely outstanding and also very funny.

Yes, I't kind of funny that everybody refers to this figure as the "Keaton Batman" while the real name of the actor isn't actually Keaton.

It relates to the theme of Birdman, but go see that movie, it is truely outstanding and also very funny.

Hmmm, what's funny about that? I know Keaton's birthname yet to me it feels funnier saying Douglas or Michael Douglas Batman. It's his screen name. He's most known by that name. Saying "Michael Douglas' performance" in a film where you're in fact referring to Keaton can create confusion to the uninformed, and that's basically the reason why Keaton opted for that screenname. Even I who's aware, think of Mr. Zeta-Jones in the cowl if it would be called "Michael Douglas Batman" and it doesn't feel right. I mean, semantics.

Do you also think it's funny that everyone says Bob Kane's Batman when it should be Robert Kahn's (and Bill Finger's) Bat-Man, and that people should call Stan Lee Stanley Lieber?

Hmmm, what's funny about that? I know Keaton's birthname yet to me it feels funnier saying Douglas or Michael Douglas Batman. It's his screen name. He's most known by that name. Saying "Michael Douglas' performance" in a film where you're in fact referring to Keaton can create confusion to the uninformed, and that's basically the reason why Keaton opted for that screenname. Even I who's aware, think of Mr. Zeta-Jones in the cowl if it would be called "Michael Douglas Batman" and it doesn't feel right. I mean, semantics.

Do you also think it's funny that everyone says Bob Kane's Batman when it should be Robert Kahn's (and Bill Finger's) Bat-Man, and that people should call Stan Lee Stanley Lieber?

No, I think they should all be called by their stage name of choice. It's still kind of ironic that the core of Birdman is something something significant on a personal title and getting the credits for it without borrowing anything from anyone to achieve that, while in reality he borrowed Diane Keaton's name in order to distinguish himself from other two Michael Douglases. I also think adopting a distinguished woman's name was a smart choice, it gives a positive association when hearing the name.

I remember reading something years ago that said he chose Keaton as a surname because he was a big fan of Diane Keaton.

... or that he was attracted to Diane Keaton. I think those were dismissed by Michael himself some time ago.

EDIT: Wikipedia says it was from comedian Buster Keaton. Though I don't find Wikipedia reliable.

Yeah, I often use wikipedia but then always have to remember that anybody can put what they want on there really. :lol Im sure I read that either he was a fan of Diane Keaton or as you said, maybe he was attracted to her or something. I can't really remember where I read it though as it was years ago so it could have all been false.

Yeah, I often use wikipedia but then always have to remember that anybody can put what they want on there really. :lol

Exactly. There was a time when Watchmen entry was edited, making Grant Morrison the author instead of Alan Moore. Also, pages of celebs with legions of haters, now those are funny :lol

I remember reading something years ago that said he chose Keaton as a surname because he was a big fan of Diane Keaton.

What he said in an interview circa 1996 or 1997, was that he called up her people to ask if it was okay if he used her name. She apparently didn't care enough about him at that point to care. The story went something like that. I wish I had the interview tape still.

I really don't know what your deal is Motuxmen.

You go into every thread as this preachy voice of reason, this herald of Hot Toys. You claim you're not an apologist, but that's exactly what you do. Licenses, releases, prices, you have an answer for everything when most of the time you're just speculating and jumping to conclusions like the rest of us.

batfan summed it up perfectly basically. Hot Toys and Chan said we'd see some 1/6 and 1/4 figures coming soon in late 2012. Then he said that Batman and Penguin were ready for deployment for December and would be shown. Then nothing for two years. Then recently they say "no plans for Catwoman and Penguin yet, but Batman will be coming soon". What is "coming soon"? Certainly not three years. Could there be some behind the scenes BS like you always want to claim? Sure. "Poor Hot Toys didn't get a license or sculpting approval. Poor Hot Toys didn't get the go ahead from WB and DC. Poor Hot Toys." Whatever it is, people don't have an avenue to vent their frustration because they're not in "the know", so Hot Toys will have to do. You know why? Because they're the ones that announced the license and said all this BS through various QnAs for the past couple of years. That's it really. It's their line of dolls, at the end of the day, it's their responsibility. These are the same ****ers that somehow got Jack Nicholson and Peter Weller to sign off on the dotted line after throwing a butt load of cash and convincing their way. They're not the underdog here, they're not the little company that could repressed by the bottom line.

What's wrong with me? Funny how becuase I happen to look at it clinically and without being emotional and understand from experience that there are some issues that happen that ARE COMPLETLY and TOTALLY out of hot toys control and try to offer an explanation that somehow I'm some kind of puppet or a bad guy or all this other crap. No, I don't always defend hot toys. Go look at the thead about possible new iron man diecast. Explaining a process is not defending it.

As for the oranges comparison. It's obvious that you don't actually understand how this works. It would be more like if I promised you a glass of orange juice after making a deal with the Orange grower, who once I made that deal required me to announce said deal, and then after I used his oranges to make the juice and offered you a sample (like how a proto type is shown) by contract of use of his oranges he had final approval if it got sold, and I sent it to him and he was busy and it got back to me late, and he also said it needed more sugar so I had to make new juice and send it back. By this time the juicer that I use(just like the machinery hot toys uses) was already on to my apple juice for another client, a juice that sold ten times as well, and the Orange juice had to be pushed back till there was another opening with the juicer. After I notify the Orange supplier(in this case that's like DC) that I can't make deadline due to the changes they say I need to push the release back because they don't want the market flooded with Orange juice as other Orange juice makers are making their own cheaper higher volume, and flooding the market drives the overall sales of his oranges down, and since he controls the oranges (the license) and that's his only concern he could care less if I sell my juice now or later. So while this is going on I keep answering your questions everyone you call, with the information I have on hand, but things change. I had originally planned to make your Orange juice(returns batman) and a strawberry-orange juice(catwoman) and a pineapple-Orange juice(penguin). Well after the delays and me telling you I was still planning to make it and your reaction (in this example that means the fan community at large) that I am now a horrible person and I suck at making Orange juice and I'm the devil becuase I didn't get your Orange juice to you when I had planned I stop saying I'm going to make the other flavored and stop giving firm dates. But instead of correcting the issues (everyone says I suck becuase I announced dates so I stop annoucing dates and now I suck becuase I no longer am saying Im planning to make something...which is exactly the argument used with the returns comment here. I announce a date and I miss it everyone complains and says just don't announce till your ready. So when next asked that question I do exactly what they said, I say no firm plans. Then I'm the worst business man becuase I stopped giving firm dates) it's just another reason to complain. Now people are going around telling other juice potential Orange juice buyers I am no longer making Orange juice ever, just Apple juice. Even though I finally got the Orange grower to approve and like my Orange juice, which was used at a Orange juice convention (the returns proto at sdcc) and a slot opened up for production but there's no way I'm telling anyone again. Becuase even if it's approved in the testing, once it gets produced in large enough to sell quantities the Orange grower still gets final sign off to make sure it's still meets his standards. On top of that, the Orange grower also has a new special hybrid Orange he has coming out soon and may or may not want me to push production one way or another. So I stY silent on the issue. I learned before that if I answer honestly what my current plans are, that if something happens, either by my control or out of it, I got from not a guy trying to make high end Orange juice to the devil and a scum bag.

Anyway, that would be closely related to the hot toys scenario then your analogy. But for some reason people just won't believe that there are things completly out of the control of hot toys. It's like they need someone to blame. Becuase they didn't get their toy fast enough. I could understand this if they actually took someone's money then the delays happen. But that's not the case. They announced some plans. Never have done an official Batman Returns Batman announcement (where they do the publicity shots and give the specs and details that are planned).im sure no one hear that kills Howard chan has ever planned to go somewhere or do something or make something and had other things sidetrack those plans.

You can call me a hot toys apologist. Whatever that is. But just try to look at WHAT I said, not who you think I am. And since you said and believe it's all speculation, take the time to consider that maybe I'm right.

All I've done is try to give a different perspective. Yes a lot of what I say is based on speculation. Not all though. But it's also based on having spent years working for and with a lot of the people and companies that continue to get killed on here, and killed based on what you and others have admitted is pure speculation with no experience or understanding of how the process actually works. I may not always know the exact details of how a figure is done, or the exact numbers for a specific figure, but I do know the process. I know the policy and procedures that these companies use. It's no different the. If you are a stone mason. You may not have built a specific wall, but you know hoe it's done. It's like if I you are a cashier at best buy. You may not have personally rang up every sale at every store, but you know how it's done. It's like if you are a worker at McDonalds, you may not of made every sandwich, but you know how the do it. Now imagine your that stone mason and you go on a site dedicated to collecting brick walls. People complain that the brick wall they wanted is still delayed. You explain why that could be the case. But everyone calls you a brick wall apologist becuase your not mad about it taking to long. They say they know it's the other stone masons fault becuase they collect brick walls and know it has to be this guys fault. You try to explain what could be the issues. But everyone still gives you grief, becuase you didn't build that exact stone wall, and your speculating since you didn't do it, and the guy that collects stone walls knows more about how they are made then you do becuase he collects them and you make them, and since we are technically both soeculating by that argument and everyone else on the brick/stone wall forum is also a collector that's be mad and upset with this stone/brick wall manufacture and they know the other collectors and have been on the stone wall forum longer..they all side with the collectors becuase obviously the guy that says he's an actual stone mason must be lieing and be a stone mason apologist. Ya know, becuase he disagrees. And continues to do so even though they all call him mean names. Becuase he just has to be a bad guy, why else would he try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back