Hot Toys DX09 - BATMAN - Batman (Michael Keaton) - Specs & Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you even posing the Batsuit Begins figure in "Batman-mode"? I figured most people who have this and the TDK Original (BB) costume version from '08 would pose this guy as first-night out, and use the Batman head with the swappable faceplates on the '08 figure.

Yeah, mine is Batman, not the First Night out. Originally that was my intent but I didn't want those straps stressing out the rubber and took them off.

So I have multiple Begins Batman figures in my display. The original '08 OC is sporting the mangler on a shelf with Harvey Dent and Bank Robber Joker while the TF/SS exclusive Begins suit Batman is with Scarecrow and Demon Bats.

Yeah, mine is Batman, not the First Night out. Originally that was my intent but I didn't want those straps stressing out the rubber and took them off.

So I have multiple Begins Batman figures in my display. The original '08 OC is sporting the mangler on a shelf with Harvey Dent and Bank Robber Joker while the TF/SS exclusive Begins suit Batman is with Scarecrow and Demon Bats.

I've got multiple Begins Batman figures displayed as well and I honestly think the stock cape on the the Dark Knight OC version is even better than the Toy Fair one.

The cape is fine, this is not a cape that you could ever get out of the box and have it be perfect. Maybe a custom cape could be prefolded for you, but bottom line, this batsuit has a cape that requires someone to take time and effort to manipulate and if you do it can look great, many folks here have got it to look amazing.

I've got multiple Begins Batman figures displayed as well and I honestly think the stock cape on the the Dark Knight OC version is even better than the Toy Fair one.

Yeah, I like the OC Batman cape it's fine. I didn't mess with mine or break the clips off at all. I just left it as it was with the cape behind the shoulders.

The Toy Fair Begins is just too unwieldy and rigid. Seemed like a no brainer to just get a new cape since the clips weren't permanently attached like the OC Batman was.

I'm amazed that Hot Toys fails with the cape over and over and over again!! No Batman cape they've made have been good - so why stick to the same material??
And then came this cape.. My god... SOMEONE at the concept table must have reacted??!

newkeatman.jpg

Nice, I see. I've only got two Begins-suit figures (from HT anyway, two Takara are packed away)--the Original suit and Toyfair Excl. Yeah I agree that the Original suit cape is acceptable, so all I did was swap the head with the Toyfair Batman head and I keep the Wayne head on the the Toyfair in full first night mode...sans balaclava.

Is that yours cr0w? If so nice work on the cape, but did you have to remove the hands and the gauntlets to get it to hang that close to his body? I cannot get the arms on mine to go straight down, they are always slightly out to the sides.

I cannot get the arms on mine to go straight down, they are always slightly out to the sides.

I ran into the same problem when I first got it but eventually got them to go down at his sides perfectly. If you want try this,

- Make sure the shoulders on the TT body are posed all the way down in a sort of slouch
- Slightly turn the bicep joints inwards bringing them in towards the chest
- Adjust the gauntlets like cr0w described, gauntlets facing back, plate facing out

That should do it. I have another suggestion for those that are having problems with the cape. Once you've posed the figure and cape in it's desired position place the figure on it's back on a flat surface. Those folds, especially in the back of the cape will stay in position. Just be careful with the gauntlet fins.

While the arms don't go down perfectly at the figure's side, it's a lot better than the Christopher Reeve's Superman whose arms are always out to the side.

The more I mess with this figure the more I like it. I don't feel like it is gonna fall apart in my hands, seems tougher than I originally thought. I just hope the rubber holds up over the years.

I finally got mine in, and i must say...It is a really Great batman Keaton with my only neg, is the Cape...How may of you hate the cape?:gah: I wish they made it Hang more freely! it just feels cheesy to me.

Anyone feel the same? You probably have posted about it, but over 1000 post to read through, weeewww:thud: But I will try.

With a little time and patience it is possible to get the cape laying flat and looking ok.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Has anyone tried to 'fan' the cape prior to putting it on?

Capefanning.jpg

I started with the stitch lines which run to the furthest tips of the cape, and also made additional folds inbetween each stitched triangle as well. Folded just like those paper fans you made as a kid. The folds don't always run neatly from bottom to top but I tried best the material would let me. I'm letting this set overnight. I'm sure once I put this on Batman I'll still have to futz like crazy to widen some folds, tighten others, place and pinch the material, etc, but perhaps this will help to at least have the folds in place to some degree.

Last edited:
With a little time and patience it is possible to get the cape laying flat and looking ok.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was also thinking about going the normal stand route, as I don't much care for the DX stands. I don't like how the make the figure seem taller then it actually is. Plus they don't serve any true purpose for me.

Pull the cape down so that it's hanging straight and crimp the wire to hold the position. You have to be pretty tough with it or it'll walk all over you. Treat it like a bully.

:lol I'll give it tough love.

Reposting my pre-fold cape trick to see if anyone had any luck trying this...

Has anyone tried to 'fan' the cape prior to putting it on?

Capefanning.jpg

I started with the stitch lines which run to the furthest tips of the cape, and also made additional folds inbetween each stitched triangle as well. Folded just like those paper fans you made as a kid. The folds don't always run neatly from bottom to top but I tried best the material would let me. I'm letting this set overnight. I'm sure once I put this on Batman I'll still have to futz like crazy to widen some folds, tighten others, place and pinch the material, etc, but perhaps this will help to at least have the folds in place to some degree.

Also, this is as close as I can get my Bats arms' to his side. Is that about where other's are? Any tricks to get it closer?

Batmanarmsatside.jpg

:lol I'll give it tough love.

Reposting my pre-fold cape trick to see if anyone had any luck trying this...

Also, this is as close as I can get my Bats arms' to his side. Is that about where other's are? Any tricks to get it closer?

Batmanarmsatside.jpg

I ran into the same problem when I first got it but eventually got them to go down at his sides perfectly. If you want try this,

- Make sure the shoulders on the TT body are posed all the way down in a sort of slouch
- Slightly turn the bicep joints inwards bringing them in towards the chest
- Adjust the gauntlets like cr0w described, gauntlets facing back, plate facing out

That should do it. I have another suggestion for those that are having problems with the cape. Once you've posed the figure and cape in it's desired position place the figure on it's back on a flat surface. Those folds, especially in the back of the cape will stay in position. Just be careful with the gauntlet fins.

While the arms don't go down perfectly at the figure's side, it's a lot better than the Christopher Reeve's Superman whose arms are always out to the side.

DiFabio posted this.

Back