Hot Toys DX Indiana Jones announced + Star Wars teaser

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Hot Toys adjust the figure according to the most common complaints then yes I expect these people will be the first to order. People who are passionate enough about it to have complaints are generally always bound to buy it because of that same passion. :dunno

People mistaking or presuming any complaint, big or small, to be the same as hating the entire figure and all it represents seems to me to be the bigger problem with this forum.

:exactly::goodpost:

EDIT: Deleted long rant.

Just to throw my 2 cents in to the mix, I'm not thrilled with the sculpt. Broadly speaking, the nasal labial folds have the wrong contour to them, the eyes are a bit too heavily hooded, the jaw needs squaring up slightly, and I'm really disappointed with HT's sculpt/paint work on the stubble. The stubble is sculpted too heavily in there, almost to it being a very short beard.

The problem is that Ford is a good looking guy in a very conventional way. The line between caricature and generic stuntman is a hard one to straddle as we're seeing - personally I think if they had given him his wry half-grin they would have solved a few of their problems. It's "classic" Indy, classic Ford even, and those little identifiable touches would have gone a long way to helping us look past other sculpt deficiencies.

Yeah, Trevor really nailed him.

179ef334.jpg

To me this looks like a Halloween Adventure mask of Indy.

It looks too fat like it could be worn over the real Indy's head and like its sort of flimsy and hollow. Not even Boots paintjob can save it. Big time no thank you, if you like it so much, simple answer, use this head instead of Hot Toys. No need for another, You have three options from Trevor already guys. That thing, the PF shrunk down or the German Disguise head. I want someone else's take this time.

I have Boot25's repaint of my Indy PF in front of me right now and its definately Harrison, but the 1/6 Raiders is just as off in differant ways as Hot Toys current proto.

And as for the people who think Sideshows only needs a few minor adjustments out of the box consider this :

Base Sideshow Indy - $90

Head repaint - $80-180 Depending artist

Body Replacement - $15-40 Soldier Story or Sculpted neck Hot TOys

Jacket Replacement - $50-250 Sov's or Katos w/e you choose

Belt Replacement - $150

Whip Replacement - $100

Shoe Replacement - $30 if you can find them

$600 if your lucky

Last edited:
To me this looks like a Halloween Adventure mask of Indy.

It looks too fat like it could be worn over the real Indy's head and like its sort of flimsy and hollow. Not even Boots paintjob can save it. Big time no thank you, if you like it so much, simple answer, use this head instead of Hot Toys. No need for another, You have three options from Trevor already guys. That thing, the PF shrunk down or the German Disguise head. I want someone else's take this time.

I have Boot25's repaint of my Indy PF in front of me right now and its definately Harrison, but the 1/6 Raiders is just as off in differant ways as Hot Toys current proto.

:rotfl :exactly::goodpost: I didn't know Indy had pale yellow skin. Looks like he's got jaundice.

:rotfl :exactly: :goodpost: Obvious comment about something wrong with a Sideshow product, initially pointed out by someone else, but reiterated by kl241 so that he can have something to post.

:rotfl :exactly: :goodpost: Obvious comment about something wrong with a Sideshow product, initially pointed out by someone else, but reiterated by kl241 so that he can have something to post.

Nam-lite trying to carry the misguided torch of his fallen comrade. :lol

Damn.. who is paying those prices ?!?!?!?

Well I'm taking into account all belts, the web belt, then your full set w/ gunbelt, holster, whip holster, and new bag with new straps. I think thats about right with shipping but I apologise if I got the pricing wrong, maybe I was thinking of when you quoted me the PF belts?

But the whip I wasn't talking about yours, there is someone selling 1/6 whips for $100, actually more. I think it was in the custom Indys thread but I definately saw it somewhere on here.

But yea, w/o any belt or shoe upgrades, my custom Indy was still over $300 and its mediocre at best.

Fast Streets and Ray F, I'm guessing easily spent over $500.

The problem is that Ford is a good looking guy in a very conventional way. The line between caricature and generic stuntman is a hard one to straddle as we're seeing - personally I think if they had given him his wry half-grin they would have solved a few of their problems. It's "classic" Indy, classic Ford even, and those little identifiable touches would have gone a long way to helping us look past other sculpt deficiencies.

Very well said, aussieinnyc. It's so easy to get HF wrong because he's kinda like a generic good looking rugged guy. What makes him unique is very subtle and as we've seen very hard to capture. So right now all we have from HT is a generic good looking rugged guy who kinda looks like HF.

I will most likely get this because I love the character, but it will hurt to pay so much for something that I feel isn't perfect and therefore not worth the high pricetag. It it were perfect, then I'd have no problem plunking down the cash. Likewise, I was fine paying $90 for the SS Indy despite some of his flaws. For $90, he was still overpriced but not by too much. But for $200+ (like we're all guessing)? It's not there yet.

My full belt rig (belt, whip keeper, holster) for 1/6 is only $80...
[ same set for a PF is only $100 ]...the best trouser belt for 1/6 is the one by Did.. which you can snag for around 5-6 bucks if you can find them... As for whips.. yeah there is the miniature whip by Joe Strain which actually runs over $200.. and while it is very finely crafted, as Joe is a very talented whip maker, they appear a bit thick in terms of scale.. as far as I know only one member here owns the miniature Strains.. (Faststreets... whose custom Indy figures are quite well done).... so I'd say the total number of members here that have actually spent 100 bucks or more on a whip is in the single digits.. . in the end though there cannot be a reasonable comparison between factory produced items and custom items... a factory just won't be able to pump out hand crafted pieces... those of us that build custom pieces for collectors are serving a totally different "need"... from the feedback I have personally gotten from customers over the past few years it has been clear that they were wanting something unique as opposed to just something store bought... the joy for those collectors seems to be the process of building.. not just the purchasing of a finished product.... plus there is a huge difference in the capabilities of factory produced items in terms of materials too... take my holsters for example... it would be hard to mass produce those with the same result as I hand select the leather I use for each holster from a large hide.. I have to go over a large leather hide until I find a section without any blemishes, scars, or creases that also has uniform thickness.. then cut the pattern.. hand mix the dye .. (and so on and so on).. so in the end the result is something you just can't buy from a toy company...

So with shipping then and a DID replacement Satchel, strap replacement on that, its closer to $120 then $150.

But all you just pointed out is exactly my point. Thats not something were going to see but some members have seen the few people who do have them and consider this to be the bar which is unfair. I mean those are basically perfect Indy figures as far as what is on the market, Fast Streets, and Ray's which I bet cost upwards of $600+ to build. Not knocking them, again they are perfect so its worth it. But you can't expect that same level from Hot TOys.

When you lay them out Sideshow at $90 - HT at $200 - Perfection at $6-700 All the sudden it doesn't seem so bad. I know some people are having there minds blown by the pricetag but to alot of us its just the, albeit unfortunate, typical 2010 market price.

Yes.. you'd be shelling out exactly $115 if you were buying a custom belt, whipkeeper, holster, and a bag from me (incl worldwide postage ).... my misunderstanding was that you were quoting a price of $150 for just a belt.. regardless.. yes to expect HT to produce something that would rival the end product of a figure built of custom pieces is unreasonable.. people do need to realize that and have rational expectations... that being said however.. I do believe that a good bit of the criticism expressed throughout this monster of a thread is still warranted... at the end of the day you would hope that the creative team at HT will notice that this thread has had over 65k views and take stock in some of the commentary.. there are some glaring issues that can and most definitely should be addressed... if there could be one demand that HAD to be remedied, I'd say it should be that god awful fedora pictured... that thing is too far off for the quality we are well within reason to expect from HT... I'd say minor tweaks to the headsculpt would be my next if not almost at the same priority... and then the jacket needs to be reassessed.... again.. all just constructive criticism aimed at the hope that HT is listening and contemplating a few fixes here and there.... at the end of the day there is no question that once this product hits the street there will be ample fodder for building one hell of an Indy figure that will make damn near all of us content...

:dunno I am not getting it, why does everybody seem to be bashing this thread, I think the conversation has been fine apart from the odd post, there seems to be alot of constructive talk between members so I am just not getting all the bashing

Yes to some of the less mature kids a disagreement is seen as some sort of epic showdown between members like some sort of MTV real world tool fight. I have nothing but respect for the people in this thread, I've known some in the community before even coming to this forum from The Raven Indy boards etc, but that doesn't mean I'll just agree with everything to appease people. If someones butthurt over a disagreement about a toy's specs thats there problem.

Now that the weekend is over, I think more of the immature 'extreme' reactions from board are done. People said their piece and moved on. The people that are left are the ones that love it and the ones that acknowledge it's not perfect yet and are suggesting fixes.

Yes.. you'd be shelling out exactly $115 if you were buying a custom belt, whipkeeper, holster, and a bag from me (incl worldwide postage ).... my misunderstanding was that you were quoting a price of $150 for just a belt.. regardless.. yes to expect HT to produce something that would rival the end product of a figure built of custom pieces is unreasonable.. people do need to realize that and have rational expectations... that being said however.. I do believe that a good bit of the criticism expressed throughout this monster of a thread is still warranted... at the end of the day you would hope that the creative team at HT will notice that this thread has had over 65k views and take stock in some of the commentary.. there are some glaring issues that can and most definitely should be addressed... if there could be one demand that HAD to be remedied, I'd say it should be that god awful fedora pictured... that thing is too far off for the quality we are well within reason to expect from HT... I'd say minor tweaks to the headsculpt would be my next if not almost at the same priority... and then the jacket needs to be reassessed.... again.. all just constructive criticism aimed at the hope that HT is listening and contemplating a few fixes here and there.... at the end of the day there is no question that once this product hits the street there will be ample fodder for building one hell of an Indy figure that will make damn near all of us content...

Your stuff is amazing and if I could afford them I would buy them instantly. But there is one more thing beside the money that stops me to spend this amount of money for the extras.

The funny thing is how many people buy these excellent gadgets to pimp their figures to the limit and complaining about that the eyebrows are to thick or the cheekbones are to pronounced. But no one is upset about the fact that we could put all the money we have into this figure but it still never will be perfect!

Why? That's easy: the visible wrist and elbow joints. That's a thing what's bother me most. You have a nearby perfect item like a stand-in directly from Madame Tussauds and then that... _ing visible joints. :gah: I'm curious about it how HT will manage this problem with the TOD Indy. In the past I've only bought figures that had the possibility to hide the ankles in any way. For me THAT'S a no go (too)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back