Hot Toys Die-Cast Iron Man Collectibles

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why am I not surprised? :lol

Just when I bought a MKVI yesterday! :rotfl Not that I regret it. The price points of these diecast models are gonna be sky high. I'd be interested in MKIII since that's the only MK suit I don't own from I-VI, but I'd prefer a plastic 2.0 figure, since I missed out on the first one. I'm all up for improvements, but limited articulation ain't that and I'd hate the color fading off the metal.

Well,an all-metal mark 1 would be something to behold!!

And they mentioned Whiplash mark 2...

Last edited:
Is metal cheaper than plastic these days? Can't imagine what QC issues will be on these.

Is metal cheaper than plastic these days? Can't imagine what QC issues will be on these.

Aluminium is $0.92 per lb.
Plastic prices are governed by the price of crude oil(And pretty much everything on a HT figure is some kind of oil-derived plastic product, except the metal screws on some IM suits).
It might be cheaper in the long run making their figures mostly from metal, but i shudder to think of the shipping costs...

Ok before I get too excited...are these gonna be statues with no movement or are they like that Predator announcement - essentially 2.0's of all the Marks with die cast elements?

Last edited:
Guys guys guys...

Number 1, why is everyone complaining that like this is a bad thing?!? You don't have to buy anything! It's a choice.

Number 2, why do some of you act like your plastic versions are somehow disintegrating right in front of your eyes?! You can keep them you know!? I had a mark 1 and didn't buy the rerelease because the first version served the purpose just fine. Lets allow the OCD not to consume us lol. Seriously one guy was like "if they release 1/6 die cast I'm out!!!" Lol

Number 3, take this announcement with a grain of salt I'm still waiting for a bunch of things that hot toys promised. 1/4 scale marvel, back to the future, xmen first class, etc. so relax.

Number 4, yes the prices will probably go up. Accept that this is the norm in collecting. Find another hobby if this is a problem. Or once again control the OCD and don't buy everything every manufacturer makes. Is the really a need to buy the sucker punch figures?! Because its hottoy flex pay is your friend.

Number 5, this is really cool. My first reaction when I bought my first ht iron man was,,, "ugh, it's so light". I really loathed that they were plastic. To this day people who see my collection for the first time are always disappointed when they find out my IRON men are plastic.

I would be interest in Mark 4 and Mark 6. I only started collecting in the last couple of months

So now HT can make Iron Man armors that are 3X more expensive?
PASS.

Well, the metal *should* be cheaper, but the cleanup cost, after moulding, for metal might be higher than plastic.
I have no idea.
I have no experience with casting in metal, so i have no idea how much longer(Or shorter) the mould life is...
We'd have to wait and see.
They *have to* realise that they are bouncing against the ceiling with product costs as is.
I can only assume that if Metal will work out cheaper to make, they might use that to maintain the current prices but make more profit due to the lower production costs.

Well on the bright side if I have a diecast Mark III I won't have need for any other Ironman in my collection, bring it on!

When I first saw this, my reaction was "you've got to be ****ing kidding me." The more I think about it, though, I think this could be a good line for Hot Toys, IF they follow some boundaries. For one thing:no pointless **** to drive the price up. The fact that these will be made of metal means that they should be focusing on letting the quality of the armor do the talking. They've made half a bajillion Tony Stark heads, and, if they want to keep working to finally get the likeness right, they should keep working on it in the regular line. If I were in Howard's shoes, I would make these things with a base of some sort, two sets of hands (both with articulated fingers; give people an extra set, similar to the wrist pegs), and any of the pop out weapons, and that's it. No extra headsculpts, no ****ing box of donuts. Just quality Iron Man figures. That being said, Howard'll never go for that.:lol

Whatever, just don't let the third time around interfere with other licenses (namely, Batman (1966), Batman(1989), Batman Returns, Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Batman:Arkham City, and anything from Superman, and The Lone Ranger, and Back to the Future).:lol

Well, the metal *should* be cheaper, but the cleanup cost, after moulding, for metal might be higher than plastic.
I have no idea.
I have no experience with casting in metal, so i have no idea how much longer(Or shorter) the mould life is...
We'd have to wait and see.
They *have to* realise that they are bouncing against the ceiling with product costs as is.
I can only assume that if Metal will work out cheaper to make, they might use that to maintain the current prices but make more profit due to the lower production costs.
I think just based on shipping alone these will be much higher then standard IM armors.
I'm interested in getting a new MKIII, but not if it's over $200.

Not over $200? The plastic MkVII is around $250 already.

Edit: Oh wait. These might be statues right? That might make a difference in pricing. Might be cheaper :dunno

As stated earlier, the cost per kilo of Aluminium is $0.92 right now, and price per barrel for oil is about $112 per barrel(Each barrel contains approximately 149 litres), for a rough cost per litre of oil of $0.75. But this is crude oil which must be refined to make plastics.
So it's possible that the price could more than double(Per volume, meaning plastics will always cost more to make products from).
If we are talking about cost per volume, Aluminium must be cheaper, and i reckon they will make them diecast(It will be cheaper to produce for them), but keep the same price point(Making more profit per item for them).
If a company wants to maximise profits without raising prices, then they need to cut their overheads and source different and/or cheaper materials to make their products.
If people are happy at the $200 per figure price, then Diecast might mean they can maintain that price point and still maximise their own profits.

not for me, but will be interesting to see for sure

it won't be cheaper to make them because die cast molds are a lot more expensive than plastic part molds.

Back