Hot Toys - DeLorean - Mod ideas & Resources

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive never really looked but seeing how easy it is I can now find out why the drivers side droops slightly lower. I was just gonna leave it as deloreans in general had strut problems. You can see it in the films on occasion where the door lowers half way once its opened. Mines not that bad though

Well, I'm sleeping on it. Managed to get the screws from under the dash undone - using pliers and a cross head - only to find it was just holding down a piece of plastic and nothing important.

Dash is well and truly fixed in there.

So, I'm back to working out how the top front section comes off, because something is still gripping the front of it. Best guess is screws behind the lights, but the lights are securely clipped. I need to find the guy who received his DeLorean with one light unclipped and find out what he saw.

I even found and got to a very difficult screw under the front and undid that - nothing. :gah:

If you need to see any detail pics of a stock Delorean let me know.

And so it begins. . .

View attachment 284356

Crappy picture taken in my work shed, but basically the doors off, windshield gone, blades and assembley, bonnet. . . You get the idea. I've worked out how to get the dash out, just will need some patience as it's tricky.

I'll post updates here for all of those that are interested as I progress - but it will be slowly slowly.

If anyone can point me in the direction of good, reliable interior and exterior shots of the real DeLorean etc, that would be much appreciated and save me time with Google.

That's awesome! How did you go about removing the doors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sucks. Ok its not something that jumps out but it would bug the hell out of me.

As for colour accuracy for the interior, this is what you need to aim for. Its the best I can do till I can get on the laptop to get to a site I bookmarked where the entire film was screencapped in high res. This is basically the correct colours for the screen used car. Deloreans were sold in 2 colours, grey and black.

View attachment 284403

Would you mind sharing a link to that side? I am so tired go look for everything on my TV.
I remember there was a side that did the same for The Dark Knight. It was extremly useful back than. It had dozens of movies, but I really cannot remember the side anymore (it was something short similar to imfdb if I am not mistaken). Too bad...

Would you mind sharing a link to that side? I am so tired go look for everything on my TV.
I remember there was a side that did the same for The Dark Knight. It was extremly useful back than. It had dozens of movies, but I really cannot remember the side anymore (it was something short similar to imfdb if I am not mistaken). Too bad...

There are several sites, but this is quite a good one:

https://www.screencapped.org/movie/backtothefuture/

https://www.screencapped.org/movie/backtothefuture/thumbnails.php?album=5

I wonder how many screws you have left over after you put that thing back togesther.

I wonder how many screws you have left over after you put that thing back togesther.

None. I used to take laptops apart for a living and they're much, much worse. I know what I'm doing.

FullSizeRender(41).jpg

I've taken pictures for myself of all screw and clip locations.

The screws are all different sizes and threads - it's the only way.

I know its not delorean mod related but guess what ive been doing this afternoon for a friend.

20160809_202905.jpg

How did you get them the right scale? Trial and error? I need to summon the patience to do that as I want them too.

Trial and error. I print out various sizes on a page and go with the one that fits best. I wont know for sure with the oh lala cover if its the right size till I get the almanac with marty. I think its slightly too small really. I then save the file so I only need to print out again if I need too.

I had another play with the DeLorean tonight. I've worked out that there's nothing behind the lights holding the front/top-section on. But, something is still gripping it hard. I have deduced there's a screw or two behind the DMC logo/grille. That's a problem, because it's stuck fast.

It seems HT have glued a lot of these parts down. Obviously, they don't intend for them to come apart.

So, I moved back up to the dash area, lifted a few more things aside and found the screws holding some of it down. With the bonnet part still on, they're extremely hard to get to. I got one screw out and another loose, but I really need to get that front/top/bonnet part off to get at them properly.

The dash is also held in the middle. Again, hard to see with so much in the way. The time circuits must have a screw in that middle part too, so no way to get them off at the moment.

Overall, made progress but still hit a wall. If they hadn't have glued things into position, I would've stood more of a chance.

I really wanted that time circuit section off.

I also wanted to give the whole dash a respray.

So, there it is.

I'll let you know if I have a breakthrough (Hopefully, nothing actually breaking though).

I ordered a second car just for modding. Thanks for your work! This will help me a lot.

Forget what I just said! :lol

Thought I'd have another 10 mins on it tonight before bed.

Well, winner, winner, chicken dinner.

IMG_5425.JPG

IMG_5426.JPG

So what was the trick/hidden screw?

Yes, two screws behind the grille.

What's interesting is that I can see that they've planned ahead with the hover conversion. There's covered sections where the lights on the conversion will go.

Back