Hot Toys - DeLorean - Mod ideas & Resources

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Way over priced IMO and not even close to screen accurate. Its a good effort but my ocd and wallet wouldnt be happy with it so Im making my own and its shaping up nicely

1470526988270.jpg
1470527045428.jpg

View attachment 283988

View attachment 283990

The extra wiring is a big improvement, but the cable ties look grossly overscale. I would cut very short lengths of heatshrink and thread the wires through.

Its the only thing im not happy with and will look into heatshrink. Thanks. Ive needed a better alternative and have now been provided with one. My other option was gonna be thin strips of black tape which most likely will end up unravelling

You might also want to add the 3 lights in each door. The ones on the front and side are amber

door1.jpg

The one on the rear is red.

door2.jpg

I don't yet have a DeLorean, as i'm waiting for the Part 2 version to go up for pre-order.

And so it begins. . .

View attachment 284356

Crappy picture taken in my work shed, but basically the doors off, windshield gone, blades and assembley, bonnet. . . You get the idea. I've worked out how to get the dash out, just will need some patience as it's tricky.

I'll post updates here for all of those that are interested as I progress - but it will be slowly slowly.

If anyone can point me in the direction of good, reliable interior and exterior shots of the real DeLorean etc, that would be much appreciated and save me time with Google.

And so it begins. . .

View attachment 284356

Crappy picture taken in my work shed, but basically the doors off, windshield gone, blades and assembley, bonnet. . . You get the idea. I've worked out how to get the dash out, just will need some patience as it's tricky.

I'll post updates here for all of those that are interested as I progress - but it will be slowly slowly.

If anyone can point me in the direction of good, reliable interior and exterior shots of the real DeLorean etc, that would be much appreciated and save me time with Google.

Excellent. Document it thoroughly!
I have never looked at the underside of mine. Are there screws there to separate the body from the chassis plate?

Excellent. Document it thoroughly!
I have never looked at the underside of mine. Are there screws there to separate the body from the chassis plate?

Nope. The underside is completely plastic! At first, I thought everything was clipped/pressure fit etc, but slowly I have found screws. . . and more screws :lol

I've unscrewed the entire front end/under bonnet area and am now stuck a bit. Something is holding the front section to it, preventing me from unclipping it. Peering underneath, I can see all the electrics - which I also want access to. My guess at the moment is there's screws behind the lights. But, can't see if they unclip either yet.

I'm sure that I read someone had their headlight unattached when it arrived, but I can't remember who, or if they took pictures.

IMG_5385.JPG

I've managed, and it was very tricky, to unscrew two screws from under the dash (passenger side), but that didn't loosen anything. I really need to get the battery compartment/under bonnet/bodywork section off. Just can't figure what's holding it at the moment. Must be screws behind lights.

IMG_5382.JPG

Like I said - slowly slowly and I'll get there.

Last edited:
Anx10us. Awesome work. I've been wondering how this thing came apart. I cant wait till you get to the flux capacitor. Mines upside down from factory. I'd like to figure out how it comes out.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Anx10us. Awesome work. I've been wondering how this thing came apart. I cant wait till you get to the flux capacitor. Mines upside down from factory. I'd like to figure out how it comes out.

I'm not going to post in the main thread any more because when I did in the early days, there was too much negativity about taking it apart and the time circuits etc.

However, here I will say that I'm tring to get to the main cabin/dash etc. I want to see if I can get the time circuits to light up - either by modding or replacing. Not sure if it will be possible, but I shall have a damn good try. Also, as per sirdoctor's comment - I want to respray the interior. We'll see. . .

I will bear in mind all your questions in here and answer them as I get to that part - if I can. Like I said, I will not break or force anything, so still don't know how much is gonna be possible.

Right. Read ALL of this BEFORE you do anything.

Getting that off is easy.

See the clips on the driver's side? Pull them VERY gently towards you, while pulling the front forwards the windshield and they'll unclip. Then the whole thing comes off in one go. See here:

IMG_5389.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

BUT you have a problem. The printing on the glass isn't a sticker. It's actually printed.

IMG_5392.JPG

The glass piece is held in by welded plastic in five places - see picture below. You would need to cut those or drill them out (without going through the front) in order to remove the glass and spin it back up the right way.

IMG_5393.JPG

Right. Read ALL of this BEFORE you do anything.

Getting that off is easy.

See the clips on the driver's side? Pull them VERY gently towards you, while pulling the front forwards the windshield and they'll unclip. Then the whole thing comes off in one go. See here:

View attachment 284399

View attachment 284400

BUT you have a problem. The printing on the glass isn't a sticker. It's actually printed.

View attachment 284401

The glass piece is held in by welded plastic in five places - see picture below. You would need to cut those or drill them out (without going through the front) in order to remove the glass and spin it back up the right way.

View attachment 284402
Awsome! It shouldn't be to hard to fix that than. Thank you very much!

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

That sucks. Ok its not something that jumps out but it would bug the hell out of me.

As for colour accuracy for the interior, this is what you need to aim for. Its the best I can do till I can get on the laptop to get to a site I bookmarked where the entire film was screencapped in high res. This is basically the correct colours for the screen used car. Deloreans were sold in 2 colours, grey and black.

attachment.jpeg

And, if you're wanting to do that, it might be easier to take the door off.

For those who want to know how to do that. . .

Towards the windsheild, you'll see a black clip/rod with a spring. The clip has a tab that you can pull back and release. See pictures:

IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5360.JPG

IMG_5361.JPG

Sorry if some of my pics are coming out sideways but I don't have time to edit them. Feel free to tip your heads :lol

Last edited:
That sucks. Ok its not something that jumps out but it would bug the hell out of me.

As for colour accuracy for the interior, this is what you need to aim for. Its the best I can do till I can get on the laptop to get to a site I bookmarked where the entire film was screencapped in high res. This is basically the correct colours for the screen used car. Deloreans were sold in 2 colours, grey and black.

View attachment 284403

Nice one. It would be good to show me any pics you have once this baby is apart - that way it won't get buried in the thread. Is that okay? Mega useful picture.

Nice one. It would be good to show me any pics you have once this baby is apart - that way it won't get buried in the thread. Is that okay? Mega useful picture.

Can and will do. I cant believe how easy it is to remove the doors

Back