Hot Toys Bust Series 1/4th scale PREDATOR

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a picture of the SS 1:4 Predator maquette head as it isn't really fair to compare the detail of the SS 1:1 bust to the HT 1:4 bust. I think the big issues with the HT bust is the shape/color around the eyes and mouth, the poor paint apps in the mouth/mandible areas and the lack of quills. The HT bust just looks off and rather toy like but I know the bust will be rather cheap.

I wasn't comparing the 1:1 to the 1:4 to say they should be equal quality, I used the 1:1 because it's the clearest glimpse around at the original Predator and very close to the film prop, there isn't a great deal of reference images out there unfortunately.

Here's a photoshopped image of the HT bust.

pspred.jpg

I actually notice quite a bit anatomically off with this piece cleaning it up, it definitely goes beyond paint apps.

If it's like Rambo, about $50.

and if it is $50 what the hell is all the fuss over??? :confused: I think (If in fact it does come out at $50) this piece is just fine. If it were $100+ I wouldn't touch it!

Hot Toys is releasing this bust first not to see if there will be interest but to make some coin on top of the crap load they will make with a 1/6 scale figure line. I say if you don't like it walk away from it and save your $$$ for the 1/6 scale figs i'm more than sure they will release soon.

I have a feeling they will bust a "Rocky III" when they finally announce the line.

and if it is $50 what the hell is all the fuss over??? :confused: I think (If in fact it does come out at $50) this piece is just fine. If it were $100+ I wouldn't touch it!

Well, speaking for myself, and I have a sense others agree, the fuss is not that this bust looks off, but the fact that it could be a prelude to the 1/6 figure and we're nervous. Of all HT Predator stuff, P1 is my most desired Predator, as it is for a lot of people and we've been hoping and figuring HT would pull out all the stops for it and it would turn out to be THE Predator figure of them all. If the head looks like this bust however, it'll fall short of P2, Wolf and P2 Elder and that's the last thing people want to see. It is strange to see a 1/4 scale head turn out lesser than 1/6 because there's more to work with, but this bust head as it stands is lesser than P2 and P2 Elder as well as Wolf. It also doesn't help if you've seen the Rambo HT bust because that's the HT Rambo 3 figure and better, so it's odd to see the larger scale look like a step down here with the Predator.

For a $50 bust I'm fine with it and will get it, but the foreshadowing of a 1/6 figure is scary.

I wasn't comparing the 1:1 to the 1:4 to say they should be equal quality, I used the 1:1 because it's the clearest glimpse around at the original Predator and very close to the film prop, there isn't a great deal of reference images out there unfortunately.

I actually notice quite a bit anatomically off with this piece cleaning it up, it definitely goes beyond paint apps.

I know you weren't talking about the quality. I was just showing what the differences looked like on something at the same scale since working on a larger scale is easier.

Well, speaking for myself, and I have a sense others agree, the fuss is not that this bust looks off, but the fact that it could be a prelude to the 1/6 figure and we're nervous. Of all HT Predator stuff, P1 is my most desired Predator, as it is for a lot of people and we've been hoping and figuring HT would pull out all the stops for it and it would turn out to be THE Predator figure of them all. If the head looks like this bust however, it'll fall short of P2, Wolf and P2 Elder and that's the last thing people want to see. It is strange to see a 1/4 scale head turn out lesser than 1/6 because there's more to work with, but this bust head as it stands is lesser than P2 and P2 Elder as well as Wolf. It also doesn't help if you've seen the Rambo HT bust because that's the HT Rambo 3 figure and better, so it's odd to see the larger scale look like a step down here with the Predator.

For a $50 bust I'm fine with it and will get it, but the foreshadowing of a 1/6 figure is scary.

Oh, well when you put it that way I can understand the anxiety involved, I too MUST have an excellent "Predator" for its really the only one I want to own. I passed on the P2 BD because of the Predator 1 announcment, hope I don't regret it! You also made a good point in comparison to the Rambo III, that does make alot of sense, heres hoping Hot Toys will continue to impress.

Oh yeah, that and, WHERE THE HELL IS THE P1 ANNOUNCMENTS ALREADY HOT TOYS????? Forget the idea of a SDCC unvailing because, it seems that Hot Toys enjoys the "Right out of the blue" release technique.

It just looks plain weird-scarier than the original Predator but for all the wrong reasons!

but WTF hot toys have only to take the elder head sculpt , armor and body and repaint re-work all right, who say in this way is a GOOD thing due to the fact that elder is the best predator to date, they have only to change the need, and voilà,
the paint app, the mandibles position, the dreads, some on the armor, and all is done, don't seems to me a so hard issue
also HT could introduce a new body or re-use a body like wolf for improved poseability/mobility...

I also feel that that the 1/6 scale Predator 1 fig will look like this.

what sense have ? in the film the sculpt for the elder is the p1 one reworked and re-painted, the only once in which if HT recycled something is right and accurate as in the film they don't do it :monkey4
i stalk the ones that work at HT and ignite them one by one if they do a smack like this to us :maul

The head sculpt is totally different on the P2 elder, so they would have to sculpt a new head, and I'm afraid that it will look like the bust, which doesn't look likie $150 quality.

but WTF hot toys have only to take the elder head sculpt , armor and body and repaint re-work all right, who say in this way is a GOOD thing due to the fact that elder is the best predator to date, they have only to change the need, and voilà,
the paint app, the mandibles position, the dreads, some on the armor, and all is done, don't seems to me a so hard issue
also HT could introduce a new body or re-use a body like wolf for improved poseability/mobility...

what sense have ? in the film the sculpt for the elder is the p1 one reworked and re-painted, the only once in which if HT recycled something is right and accurate as in the film they don't do it :monkey4
i stalk the ones that work at HT and ignite them one by one if they do a smack like this to us :maul

Darkfaery, as far as the head goes, a P1 figure would not be a straight tweak of the Elder Predator. The Elder was a modded P1 head so in reality, you could take a P1 figure and make an Elder but you can't go backwards, it'd have to be a new head, which then leads to the fears of others that such head will be identical to the bust which is not what is hoped for.

And as great looking as the P2 Elder is, even that has room for improvement to be accurrate to the films, and the one thing I don't like about the P2 Elder sculpt that looks to be right with this bust and is ironically the only major right thing I find with it is the profile of the head. I thought all the AVP Pred figures and even the Preds in the film had more flattened faces, but the P1 had a very deep head and as you can see in the image below, P2 Elder is close, but from the images I've seen of the bust, it looks even closer, so hopefully, everything right about the Elder portrait is included in a P1 figure and the few right things from the P1 bust are brought to the figure's portrait.

p1head.jpg

i hope you are right maulfan

Me too, P1 is like one of my most desired figures ever, as was ALIENS for that franchise with me. At least with that figure, I was never aware of the "correct" anatomy details because of it always being shot in the dark, so the deviation from the suits for the figure was liveable, but with P1, there are distinct visuals that stand out in my mind from the design and if HT misses them I'll notice it and it'll be a let down. Fingers crossed. Hopefully I'm right and this bust is a means of testing the waters before they unveil a figure so they can tweak it if need be.

Much much better Sean. Here's to hoping they fix this for the 1:6 figure.

Here's a photoshopped image of the HT bust.

pspred.jpg

Much much better Sean. Here's to hoping they fix this for the 1:6 figure.

Thanks. Like I've said, it's accpetable with the bust, they're only $50 and it's not THE P1 piece to own, just an ok one worth adding to the collection because of how few pieces from the movie exist, but for a 1/6 figure, totally unacceptable and the slight changes should be made, no reason they can't be either.

Back