Hot Toys Bruce Wayne/Batman (2011 Toy Con Ex) review + pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you guys are over reacting... :lol:panic:

No offense to wookster, but some of his pics are a bit washed out so you really don't get a sense of what the suit looks like in hand but it does illustrate the difference in the suits which is a good thing. :D

The suit is a flatter matte, yes, but the OC was never shiny, just had more of a sheen to it.

Take a look at this vid to get a better idea of what the BB/BW suit looks like in hand before jumping to conclusions. Looks pretty badass to me.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40kqCOCpNMU"]Hot Toys Bruce Wayne Exclusive Batman Begins Figure Review 2011 USA.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I guess this opened up a can of worms. But while I was reviewing them it didn't seem like as big an issue to me. It is definitely more matte in finish, but the overall effect on the shelf is still pretty awesome. If (and luckily it is only an if), but IF I had to choose, I'd keep the new 2011 version. For me its an improvement in virtually all the other areas.

But as I said, I'll be displaying this version in the harness anyway, which I see as a more 'prototype', so the matte finish suits it fine.

Great review Wookster, as always.

Man oh man, the comparison pics really show how ghastly the new rubber suit is compared to the older 2008 version. I mean, I have no trouble with a matte finish, but not only does the new suit look extremely dull, it's clunky as well. Members here jumped on that one collector who took pics of the "flaking" texture on the suit. They shrugged it off saying that he didn't take care of it and kept it in dust and yet, if you look at Wookster's (which I assume is 100% new and case fresh) it looks exactly the same. Almost as if the suit is considerably more tacky. It even looks like the cod piece is about to rip off as well.

The look, the fit, the arms, none of it looks right.

I'm glad to be getting this guy. I never bought the original release, and I'd rather have a version with all the bells and whistles than a shiny version with a fairly limited amount of accessories.

No offense to wookster, but some of his pics are a bit washed out so you really don't get a sense of what the suit looks like in hand but it does illustrate the difference in the suits which is a good thing. :D

The suit is a flatter matte, yes, but the OC was never shiny, just had more of a sheen to it.

Take a look at this vid to get a better idea of what the BB/BW suit looks like in hand before jumping to conclusions. Looks pretty badass to me. Also note the greater arm articulation, the OC couldn't lift much higher than shoulder level.

Hot Toys Bruce Wayne Exclusive Batman Begins Figure Review 2011 USA.wmv - YouTube

Glad you brought that up. Great vid. I don't know. I'm still excited to get this.

I guess this opened up a can of worms. But while I was reviewing them it didn't seem like as big an issue to me.

I think it's the patchiness of the finish that's making people squirm, making the figure look to have a poor paint job. The pictures are bright enough to show that pretty well. In person, with normal lighting, it shouldn't be near as visible. You probably didn't notice it too much even when seeing the figure while taking the photos.

Great review Wookster, as always.

Man oh man, the comparison pics really show how ghastly the new rubber suit is compared to the older 2008 version. I mean, I have no trouble with a matte finish, but not only does the new suit look extremely dull, it's clunky as well. Members here jumped on that one collector who took pics of the "flaking" texture on the suit. They shrugged it off saying that he didn't take care of it and kept it in dust and yet, if you look at Wookster's (which I assume is 100% new and case fresh) it looks exactly the same. Almost as if the suit is considerably more tacky. It even looks like the cod piece is about to rip off as well.

The look, the fit, the arms, none of it looks right.

I'm not seeing that level of damage. I see what looks like patchy painting. But, what we saw on the damaged ones was complete removal of the paint down to the original rubber, thus it was shiny. I think what's in the photos is a correct representation of the figure. That doesn't mean people have to like it, but I don't think his is damaged.

Well see that's the difference between 'screen' accuracy and 'real life accuracy'.

While the matt finish may be true to how the foam latex is in real life, on screen however, using whatever lighting etc that they did, the suit looked to have a sheen to it - i'd rather my figure has a sheen to it too

Yep, and that pic is under harsh light. The BB/BW suit is more film accurate...

Like wookster says, if he had a choice of the two, he'd pick the BB/BW figure.

Oh i agree, Im just saying that i like they attempted to make it more foam latex looking so its like the screen used suits. I dont know if they did that on purpose but assume they did. Once I have it in hand I can make a better judgement. But here is a pic I found of a screen used suit, its taken by a fan, so the lighting is horrible, but you can sort of see how matte it was. The gauntlets are much more shiny black than the suit ever was.

Batman%2BBegins%2Bbatsuit.jpg

So what was everyone looking at at SDCC? A different figure? Everyone seemed to be drooling over that.

Matte means non shiny. It absorbs light rather than reflects. Matte does not have a slight shine. Pearl or semi matte does.

Well I was comparing it to my matte or semi-matte LCD computer screen in front of me. There is a slight shine to it.

I'm gonna start using flash photography + awkward posing on all my figures to get people to cancel their orders. I'll snatch em up and sell 'em back for double! :lecture

Take a look at this vid to get a better idea of what the BB/BW suit looks like in hand before jumping to conclusions. Looks pretty badass to me.

Hot Toys Bruce Wayne Exclusive Batman Begins Figure Review 2011 USA.wmv - YouTube

Ouch...at 9:04/9:05. The suit at the elbows really creases. I guess you don't leave him in that pose for long!

I'm gonna start using flash photography + awkward posing on all my figures to get people to cancel their orders. I'll snatch em up and sell 'em back for double! :lecture

:clap :rotfl

Ouch...at 9:04/9:05. The suit at the elbows really creases. I guess you don't leave him in that pose for long!

Pretty much how the real suit behaved on set. Yes, be careful...

That's brilliant! I am gonna have to do that.

I'm just gonna wait for the figure and make up my mind about if I like it or not when I can see it first hand.

In my opinion, pictures like these are the most telling. A great looking figure would look great under even the harshest conditions (case in point: the Keaton Batman prototype under harsh light). A mediocre figure needs shadow and very carefully-chosen angles to make it look good. This cross-eyed giraffe-necked goofball is a mediocre figure if there ever was one.

detail32-3.jpg

Back