1/6 Hot Toys: BATTLE DROID - Infantry

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hot Toys version has a much more accurate head shape, eye placement, and from the Obi-Wan accessory pieces you can see they have added the piston that attaches to the head from the neck, which SSC never did. The neck is the proper length, which Sideshow screwed up to give the crappy gimmick of the retractible neck which wasn't film accurate to begin with. The pics aren't clear enough to show whether HT has the correct gap in the lumbar/spine area of the droid that Sideshow also didn't do. All in all, this droid is a vast improvement over the old SSC version.

ce28ec57f5c1548279248079c03ca866.jpg

I've been looking back at this, thinking about Qui-Gon and any other TPM stuff that I would get and I've just noticed that the upper arms are on back to front on the proto.

hmmm...was wondering if when will these droids gonna dropped, with Grievous perhaps? Roger, Roger..

hmmm...was wondering if when will these droids gonna dropped, with Grievous perhaps? Roger, Roger..

Can only hope for B1 Battle Droid, Super Battle Droid, General Grievous and Mace Windu to come soon. Some of my biggest wants.

If they do eventually put these up for PO I hope they don?t come with that crap base shown in the con photos. Same cheap topper as the Jawa & Gonk

This will probably be released with a repainted stap. Make us pay $300 for a battle droid..

Roger roger...

I don't know what they will cost but I suspect it will be a lot higher than what I am willing to pay for them. I got a great deal on some old Sideshow battle droids years ago, I think i got three two packs for $60 each when Go Hastings had a going out of business sale. Those are good enough for me.

I know folks are chomping at the bit for HT to produce these, but after receiving the half-hearted effort on the jawa, I'm not in such a hurry here,
The arms on the pictured proto are on backwards and the stand in the con shot is the same cheap plastic material used for the jawa stand. Will the droids be die-cast?
Will there be something so wondrous in the HT version that will blow the SSC ones away? Hard to know.

In the meantime, I'm in no rush to plop down what will most likely be double for one BD that SSC charged for two back in the day. I'm still really happy with the SSC ones)...they've held up well.

Just snapped some fresh shots of one...

SSC-BATTLE DROID-003.jpg

SSC-BATTLE DROID-002.jpg

SSC-BATTLE DROID-001.jpg

To each their own, but just like the clones, I think I'll avoid re-buying figures I'm still happy with from the first go-around....

Some of us dont have the SS figures though and are eager to get some of these guys into our collections, and I dont see the logic in dismissing a HT version just because they release one crappy figure (Jawa) especially when there have been multiple amazing figures since then.

You're right on one thing...an HT version of the Battle Droid will be a good option for those that missed out on the SSC ones first time around.

Even though i have every SS version, i'll gladly add to the ranks with (a) HT version(s). Clone Wars color variants would be great as well, especially one that match the forthcoming STAP.

If they do eventually put these up for PO I hope they don?t come with that crap base shown in the con photos. Same cheap topper as the Jawa & Gonk
I think having just 1 of these looks odd because we usually saw these in groups, and I cant afford $275 armies of battle droids so I'm ok if hot toys skips this altogether. I dont think I would pay that much for one of these. I'm pretty ok with the cheapo hasbro versions.

You're right on one thing...an HT version of the Battle Droid will be a good option for those that missed out on the SSC ones first time around.

It's not "missed out" actually, its just the new waves of collectors jumping into this collecting hobby in recent years, like me for example who has just started since 2017. But it is indeed a great time to see more PT - Clone Wars figures intensively promoted by them so we don't have to spend an arm and a leg tracking down old SS versions.

I have the SSC version, and even with limited pics, you can see the HT version blows the SSC droid out of the water. If you actually take the time to look at Battle Droids, both the practical and CGI models, the SSC version was so off it's painful. The HT version is much, much more faithful to what's on screen.

The Sideshow Battle Droid is fantastic, brilliant articulation too. But they got the head and eye shape wrong unfortunately.

Back