1/6 Hot Toys - CMS017- Doctor Aphra (Marvel Comic): BT-1 Killer Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cal, even though is based on an actual actor, has a digital likeness they would theoretically be able to leverage as a starting point, so he might be a bit less labor intensive. Someone like Aphra with no set likeness would be like the first Clone Wars Ahsoka with an approximation likeness, which is likely less involved than nailing an actor’s likeness. You’re certainly not wrong about the headsculpts likely being part of the reason they’ve been heavy on the troopers and helmeted characters. Starkiller has a fairly defined likeness so avoiding that was a conscious decision. But when they do fork over that cash for headsculpts lately, they’ve been some of the best they’ve ever done.
It isn't so much the cost of developing a head sculpt as that is a fixed cost spread accross thousands of units so does not have much of an effect on price, it is the mass production variable cost of detailed face painting that bumps up prices. The development cost of a naff headsculpt not based on anyone is not much different than the cost of developing a head of someone specific (outside of revisions for licensor/actor approval) but the cost per unit of painting a head with all those detailed pores etc vs simple helmet is very much more.

Basically, any head will add to cost, there isn't much cost difference per unit for a super accurate sculpt of real person vs non specific head of no one in particular.

I don’t get HT. They shy away from actor head sculpts because it’s an absolute pain in the a** to deal with actor likeness rights but when they have opportunities to do generic head sculpts that aren’t based on any actors for comic book characters or generic rebel soldiers or imperial guards etc they refuse to do it. So as a result we constantly get droids, clones, masked or helmeted characters.

Basically, any head will add to cost, there isn't much cost difference per unit for a super accurate sculpt of real person vs non specific head of no one in particular.

Its not any cheaper to manufacture any different head as opposed to another, true but its got to be a lot harder to sculpt an exact likeness. Frankly I'd want extra money for perfecting a sculpt for a named and well-beloved character, I doubt HT sculptors get that money - but its a lot more work and endless tweaking to make those.

With that said, for Aphra all we need is a pretty and deceptively mild-mannered Asian-leaning sculpt, and I bet any sculptor at HT could crank that out in their sleep.

Back