Hot Toys - Batman 1989 - Michael Keaton

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HT Batman 1989 Coming

Clooney is a fantastic actor, the script for Batman and Robin was pure crap and Schumacher is a hack. It was destined to fail before the first camera was rolling.

Clooney is a fantastic actor, the script for Batman and Robin was pure crap and Schumacher is a hack. It was destined to fail before the first camera was rolling.

:exactly:

I wouldnt even be that hard towards schumacher, sure he was the director and he made that crap, but the real source was the studio at that time, they wanted the movies to look like Disney

Actually,Schumacher really isn't that bad of a director IMO.This monstrosity seems to had been a glorified toy commercial from the start.Schumacher and others have stated that the studio actually had toy companies overseeing the production of the film.

It's hard to believe how fast they made Batman and Robin too. What was it, a little less than two years?

You are dead on !!! I just watched clooney in The American and he did a great job. I beleive he is an excellent actor just made a bad choice to do batman.

Does he have neck problems or what? every film he's in he's always doing that weird neck thing as his head bobs back and forth at that weird angle. It's annoying.

I honestly thought I was the only one who noticed that smug quasi night at the roxbury neck dance that he does in every film.

Does he have neck problems or what? every film he's in he's always doing that weird neck thing as his head bobs back and forth at that weird angle. It's annoying.

I honestly thought I was the only one who noticed that smug quasi night at the roxbury neck dance that he does in every film.

Who cares about the ____ing neck!
Omg comments like that make me wonder what board members look at to define a good actor :dunno

Google "George Clooney" and you get this, which to me at least pretty much sums up his acting range. One smug grin and a neck distortion.

screen-capture-1-1.png

Last edited:

Google "George Clooney" and you get this, which to me at least pretty much sums up his acting range. One smug grin and a neck distortion.

screen-capture-1-1.png

So because he doesn't get cast in movies where he has to dress like a pirate or alien or wear fancy makeup, makes him a bad actor?

It's a bit funny how the Schmacher films are presented as the worst idea since Marie Antoinette suggested the peasants just pull a packet of Betty Crocker mix out of the cupboard, but people just refuse to stop talking about them.

For what it's worth (and how accurate this may be I don't know) but apparently the good people from Kenner were involved during Returns when Marlon Wayans was meant to be introduced as Robin. Just trying to point out that on a film this size there's always going to need to be commercial input/merchandising implications/etc. I'm not defending the films (especially not Batman and Robin) but anyone who doesn't realise Warner viewed these films first and foremost as money-making machines is naive at best.

IMDB said:
It was intended that the character of Robin be introduced in the sequel to Batman (1989). Reportedly, Tim Burton collaborated with DC Comics artist Norm Breyfogle to redesign the Robin costume so that it would coincide with the one planned for the film. Kenner Toys even went so far as to produce a corresponding action figure, but when Robin was eventually written out of the script, Kenner released the toy anyway, as the character newly rendered in the comic books.

It's a bit funny how the Schmacher films are presented as the worst idea since Marie Antoinette suggested the peasants just pull a packet of Betty Crocker mix out of the cupboard, but people just refuse to stop talking about them.

For what it's worth (and how accurate this may be I don't know) but apparently the good people from Kenner were involved during Returns when Marlon Wayans was meant to be introduced as Robin. Just trying to point out that on a film this size there's always going to need to be commercial input/merchandising implications/etc. I'm not defending the films (especially not Batman and Robin) but anyone who doesn't realise Warner viewed these films first and foremost as money-making machines is naive at best.

owow major difference here.

it may be that toy companies where involved in Returns, but that doesnt mean they actually could order Tim Burton around.
In the commentary he even disliked that kind of involvement. Toy companies even went to him before he could establish a look for Joker - Catwoman etc...
And the fact that Mcdonalds pulled out their toys because of the "shocking" nature, tells us that Tim Burton didnt care about the toy-aspect.

With the Schumacher films I bet the toy companies had a lot of input, certainly much more than in the Burton films.

So overall, yes, toy companies are involved, but there is difference in the level of involvement.

I think you'd have a hard time establishing Schumacher took orders from the merchandisers. Were they more a factor than with Burton? Probably, but then again that is how the studio wanted it. Ultimately the studio gets what they want, or the director gets replaced.

I don't really know why I keep chiming in to support the third and fourth films, they're not particular favourites of mine. I guess I just get frustrated when I see all sorts of shades of grey being applied to Burton's work, and then Schumacher being saddled with hyperbole like he was ordered what to do by toy companies. Double standards annoy me. As does wilful ignorance of the context something occurred in. People also conveniently forget that the third film was more successful financially, and (arguably in the short term) critically than the second film. The fourth one was where it all went to hell and while I understand why people are prone to grouping both Burtons together, and both Schumacher's together, it's unfair.

God somebody put this thread out of its misery 'till we actually get news on, you know, Hot Toys '89 Bats:impatient:

I think you'd have a hard time establishing Schumacher took orders from the merchandisers. Were they more a factor than with Burton? Probably, but then again that is how the studio wanted it. Ultimately the studio gets what they want, or the director gets replaced.

There you said it :) Burton got what he want in Returns and so they replaced him.
(due to the many complaints + the fact Returns didnt gross as high as they were hoping, that didnt help either)

So because he doesn't get cast in movies where he has to dress like a pirate or alien or wear fancy makeup, makes him a bad actor?

Who said anything about dressing up like pirates, aliens or fancy make up?
But if you must, here you go...

Batman-and-robin-screen-2.jpg

Last edited:

Stay on topic, stay on topic,

Batman1.jpg

batman-1989-23-g.jpg

Stay on topic, stay on topic,

Batman1.jpg

batman-1989-23-g.jpg

I love that Bat Logo, thought the whole marketing of BATMAN was amazing. Better than the movie actually, I like it, but i'm a Returns type of fan.
But that Bat costume, god, it's just amazing, its miles and miles ahead of anything else on screen. It's biggest success is it makes Keaton/Wayne look like a different character,
for once it was believable that people characters couldn't tell who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back