Hot Toys Back to the Future II - 1/6th scale DeLorean Time Machine

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those complaining about the usb issue, simply turn the usb into the flag bunting doc hits in 1955. Thats what i would do.

As for doc not fitting in the car.... he does. Its a tight fit but if you remove his boots he wont look quite so awkward as he does here
a8103d7a3f0eda4e2ffa57291d6b26f0-1.jpg

As for quality. It feels very cheap. Plastic shell, stickers, lack of interior details and the doors.... the way they made those doors open and close really make it feel like a babies toy. It clunks open into 3 positions and eventually that system starts to wear and the doors wont stay open fully (as can be seen on the pt3 car when its been displayed at cons). Personally, im passing on this. Ive owned the first version which i had to mod a fair bit to get it to a standard HT should have gone too but didnt. I felt they made it cheap and half heartedly and all the flaws on the V1 i expect to see again on V2 plus more.
00.jpg

But with a bit of work you can get it to look this guys version where the wheels are le manifique (you can also see the door drooping on the pt3 version here too).
5v29gdz920m41.jpg

Besides, i think ill stick with this version...
20210421_112031.jpg

Last edited:
Incredibly happy with the price i got for this, Popcultcha is $1170AU and with 10% discount and $50 store credit I got it down to just over $1000. That’s cheaper than what I almost paid for the original when I debated over and over about getting it and ended up not buying it all those years ago.

Won't you someday regret selling the Ecto-1?

I can't imagine getting rid of mine. Blitzway is sort re-issing it but I believe it's the Afterlife version with more weathering and the gunner's seat.

I have the original Delorean but will be picking up this BTTF2 Delorean too (even though I have not figured out where to display).
I never opened my Ecto 1, its just in its shipper sitting there, I'd like to keep it but its just a brown box right now, the cabinet I had planned over the mantle piece was about 4mm too shallow to fit it in, my MK1 DeLorean is in there behind smart glass.
I've ordered the new one, im going to need a bigger house at this rate.

I ordered from Lee at collectibles direct, I always order from him, very reliable.
Can anyone in the UK recommend a trusted UK seller to pre-order this with? The last time I brought a 1/6 vechicle I used Toy HQ but they've long since gone bust. I'm not sure if thegoodthebadtherobot stock vechicles (I think they just do figures) so I'd appreciate any recommendations.

As for quality. It feels very cheap. Plastic shell, stickers, lack of interior details and the doors.... the way they made those doors open and close really make it feel like a babies toy. It clunks open into 3 positions and eventually that system starts to wear and the doors wont stay open fully (as can be seen on the pt3 car when its been displayed at cons). Personally, im passing on this. Ive owned the first version which i had to mod a fair bit to get it to a standard HT should have gone too but didnt. I felt they made it cheap and half heartedly and all the flaws on the V1 i expect to see again on V2 plus more.

Damn straight. This is exactly what I was going to reply when I was asked why I thought it felt cheap.

Plastic exterior, dashboard doesn’t light up, stickers on the dashboard, number plate sticker, hard plastic seats (which was loose in package and damaged interior), cheap and flimsy connections…..and the biggest insult…..the doors that click into place.

Hey Hot Toys, you’ll get my money when you fix those DAMN DOORS!!! 😂

If you want this enclosed in a display case right about now would be a good time to order an appropriately sized Moducase. I'm waiting on some right now and I believe it's going to take 8 months or more from when I ordered them.
I think you can combine them together but if you are going with a df60 it would have the aluminum bar down the middle. Otherwise you may need the df120 and you would have a lot of room to spare.

Sideshow has a few models for preorder with spring delivery but not the df120, bbts does have a df120 for preorder with a fall 2022 eta. When I've ordered moducases from bbts they did NOT come with the LED spotlight however.

Incredibly happy with the price i got for this, Popcultcha is $1170AU and with 10% discount and $50 store credit I got it down to just over $1000. That’s cheaper than what I almost paid for the original when I debated over and over about getting it and ended up not buying it all those years ago.

Yeah it’s a great price. For comparison, that comes out to about $750 USD shipped to Australian residents.

Thanks for headsup. How did you get the 10% discount?

Either 2000 pennies ($1K purchase) or if you have VIP status which is 10% off everything, all the time. Though the latter is an old system and may not apply any longer for newer customers, and I was never sure on the criteria for approval other than spending way too much.

Last edited:
Damn straight. This is exactly what I was going to reply when I was asked why I thought it felt cheap.

Plastic exterior, dashboard doesn’t light up, stickers on the dashboard, number plate sticker, hard plastic seats (which was loose in package and damaged interior), cheap and flimsy connections…..and the biggest insult…..the doors that click into place.

Hey Hot Toys, you’ll get my money when you fix those DAMN DOORS!!! 😂
Its also very light and has no real weight to it just like i would expect from a toy youd buy out of toys r us. Its just screams cheap and tacky to me. Dont get me wrong, it still looked great as a display piece but i was actually dissapointed when i opened the box. It was like this was a point in time where HTs skewed into this alt tangent of half assing things. I expected better really especially after seeing the 89 batmobile. Ok that was still plastic but the details were there at least. As far as i remember, this was the last vehicle HTs released before these reissues and it just came across as if they just thought, "cant be a$$ed anymore, that will do".

I had heard of other issues other collectors had with their toy (thats what it is. This aint no high end collectible). From paint marks and scratches to lights not working or dying soon after checking them. There is a mod thread on this forum where one guy literally disassembled his toy (which wasnt easy) and the wires/electronics looked thin, fragile and again cheap.

People will still buy this which is fine as it did look good on display but just dont expect this to be amazing. Im already seeing peoples expectations to be way higher than what will be delivered and some will be over the moon to have one but knowing what i know about V1 with V2 likely to be exactly the same with extra lights and terrible folding wheels design, im not enthused or remotely excited to see this.

Its also very light and has no real weight to it just like i would expect from a toy youd buy out of toys r us. Its just screams cheap and tacky to me. Dont get me wrong, it still looked great as a display piece but i was actually dissapointed when i opened the box. It was like this was a point in time where HTs skewed into this alt tangent of half assing things. I expected better really especially after seeing the 89 batmobile. Ok that was still plastic but the details were there at least. As far as i remember, this was the last vehicle HTs released before these reissues and it just came across as if they just thought, "cant be a$$ed anymore, that will do".
yeah it’s true that the 89 Batmobile is super heavy and the cockpit / dashboard details are amazing.
But in the same time it seems that HT lost the equivalent of 180$ on each car sold.
So maybe for the Delorean they much more checked the manufacturing costs before production and this is why it is a little bit more «cheaply » made…:unsure:

Last edited:

I had heard of other issues other collectors had with their toy (thats what it is. This aint no high end collectible). From paint marks and scratches to lights not working or dying soon after checking them. There is a mod thread on this forum where one guy literally disassembled his toy (which wasnt easy) and the wires/electronics looked thin, fragile and again cheap.

People will still buy this which is fine as it did look good on display but just dont expect this to be amazing. Im already seeing peoples expectations to be way higher than what will be delivered and some will be over the moon to have one but knowing what i know about V1 with V2 likely to be exactly the same with extra lights and terrible folding wheels design, im not enthused or remotely excited to see this.

What what were the mods you did to yours before selling it, i see the yellow and red wires, did you add lights?

I appreciate the breakdown. i think this thing and the Pt.1 looks pretty amazing. To me it sounds like you have a love hate relationship with this piece. Do you think maybe you were the one expecting too much from this $700 1/6 scale model-toy replica. For that price and factoring in it's shortcomings i think $695 and $825 is a damn good value still. the Blitzway Ecto-1 was double the price of the Pt.1. i don't have the HT 89 Batmobile but i've watched a decent amount of comparison videos on youtube, aside from the cockpit, i think that piece looks very toy-like compared to this TimeMachine.

The best review I've seen of the Hot Toys car was this.

The guy makes replica Back to the Future deloreans and I think he's been involved with making prop pieces for the musical. He clearly knows what he's talking about and although the Hot Toys car isn't perfect it's still very good. I don't know the intricate ins and outs of the screen used car(s) so I don't get annoyed by anything when I look at mine. I know everyone thats ever seen my car is impressed by it and it doesn't surprise me that people were paying so much money for it on the after market.

Ι don't know if anyone has the deagostini/eaglemoss version and the first hot toys but how are these two in comparison? 1/6 vs 1/8, plastic vs diecast, 900$ vs 1300$ etc..
I'm in dilemma because i just started collecting deagostini.

The best review I've seen of the Hot Toys car was this.

The guy makes replica Back to the Future deloreans and I think he's been involved with making prop pieces for the musical. He clearly knows what he's talking about and although the Hot Toys car isn't perfect it's still very good. I don't know the intricate ins and outs of the screen used car(s) so I don't get annoyed by anything when I look at mine. I know everyone thats ever seen my car is impressed by it and it doesn't surprise me that people were paying so much money for it on the after market.

i just watched this complete video yesterday. overall i was impressed with what Hot Toys gave us. Not a perfect replica bit i think it's by far the best we will get at this scale at this price.

Ι don't know if anyone has the deagostini/eaglemoss version and the first hot toys but how are these two in comparison? 1/6 vs 1/8, plastic vs diecast, 900$ vs 1300$ etc..
i've been searching for a comparison video of the two side by side. I don't think such a video exists, at least on youtube.

The result is impressive. It's heavy. About 8 kg. The quality is high. It doesn't feel cheap at all. But it's a long and expensive road.

If you just started it, don't forget to check out these companies for mods before you finish the build. Especially for the electric parts.
https://modelmodz.com/Delorean-1-8-Scale-Mods-c32314213/https://mikelanemods.com/de/mods/eaglemoss-delorean-mods/
You can change it to part 2 look. But it has the same position problem with the wheels like Hot Toys.

Since it's scaled 1/8, Hot Toys figures are too big.
You can use the Neca figures, but they are a bit too small.

I finished mine with some mods. And I am really happy with it.

IMG_20210513_150629374.jpg

IMG_20200611_234407506.jpg

IMG_20200611_234425233.jpg

IMG_20200611_234603290.jpg

IMG_20200611_234341923.jpg

IMG_20200611_234159927.jpg

IMG_20200611_234224467.jpg

^ looks great. what mods did you put into that Eaglemoss? and how much extra were the mods and what was it all-in (not including time)?

Yeah the lights on this already look pretty underwhelming to me, especially when it comes to those cheesy blue lights in the cooling vents, or the very faint light coming out of the wheels and dashboard.

Ultimately, I think this is something like the Batpod or Speeder Bike that works much better if you just look at it as another 1/6 accessory. But if you actually want a high end collectible you'd be better off with the diecast 1/8.

Back