1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Endgame - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Based on past experience in licensing approvals, they don't care that much about accuracy in face sculpts - which is why you will find a lot of stuff, particularly non-hot toys products, that have terrible likeness. What you have to question is why Hot Toys would submit something like that Ant Man smiling sculpt for approval. And keep in mind, the stuff they are submitting for approval is generally better looking than the final product. A somewhat poor sculpt can still look good if painted well, but any issues become more glaring with production paint (especially when you're pushing out so many more products and using more factories).

Yep, exactly what I was saying in an earlier post. It really is baffling.

I remember Jack from the Red Letter Media YT channel discussing his freelance video work once and explaining that certain companies he made videos for would always request changes for no reason other than to feel like they had some input or influence into the final video. So he would often just add extra things to his first cut because he knew they were going to ask for changes no matter what anyway. I could imagine a similar attitude from a company like Disney or the actors themselves, like they want to appear to have some sort of influence or input into the final sculpt even if it ends up worse than the first version that they saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[...] but as someone who has been working as a designer for a rather long time, I have had many experiences where a client's repeated asks and demands lead to us releasing work that we all thought was bad and we worried would tarnish our professional reputations.

Same. I've had other designers tell me it's my job to 'educate the client', 'manage the client' or when it's an option, 'fire the client'.

I've done all of the above at different times, but the more money and contractual stuff is involved, the less power I have had ... every single time.

I believe this is correct. While the sculpt is completely different from what is shown in the pre order photos, it is visibly the same updated sculpt that JC Hong later revealed (the as you note the production version has updated hair). However, Hong's paint application obviously elevated the sculpt considerably, it seems.

I wonder if COVID has impacted HT's production painters in some way.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

A lot of the paint I think is mass produced, and touch-ups are hand done.

Some sculpts don't really suffer from less than perfect paint detail. Yondu was a great sculpt that really was just blue.

This headsculpt needed paint detail to really reflect the age of Downy, and it doesn't have it. Some of the more recent headsculpts have shown this inaccurate to degrees (Hawkeye), who is getting older.

It makes me worried that Moff Gideon for example might look like a 40 year old when he is released.

I think the biggest difference is the jaw is much thinner. The previous sculpts have had the right amount of bulk. That's the biggest difference for me. I do think it's an inferior sculpt.

I didn't watch that review but did he address why he didn't put the mk50 sculpt on the mk85? Is it not possible.

I'm not waving a pitchfork but I did cancel my order. I'll go with the BD version. I don't need two. I was on the fence anyway. I already have the 50, 46, 43 and 7

I passed over the Mk 7 diecast to save up money and preorder the Mk 85 because I found this armor more iconic but I think the Mk 7 looks like the better overall figure because of design, head sculpt and accessories......*sigh*

I passed over the Mk 7 diecast to save up money and preorder the Mk 85 because I found this armor more iconic but I think the Mk 7 looks like the better overall figure because of design, head sculpt and accessories......*sigh*

That satin paint job on the Mark 7 is the nicest I've seen on 1/6 Iron Man. And I've owned a fair few.

After preordering the battle damaged version, I knew I would eventually have to cut this one loose. With this headsculpt and the utter lack of accessories, I won’t be losing much sleep about it.

That satin paint job on the Mark 7 is the nicest I've seen on 1/6 Iron Man. And I've owned a fair few.

When I saw it in person I was blown away by the paintjob that I almost considered buying it but I have other diecasts and at the time was trying to slow down my collecting so begrudgingly held off since I have the plastic version as well. I hope when I get the MK 85 in hand that I won't regret passing over the diecast MK 7.

When I saw it in person I was blown away by the paintjob that I almost considered buying it but I have other diecasts and at the time was trying to slow down my collecting so begrudgingly held off since I have the plastic version as well. I hope when I get the MK 85 in hand that I won't regret passing over the diecast MK 7.

Very tough call. Based on photos I've seen so far, I'd keep my Mark 7 if I had to choose, but I haven't seen the 85 in-hand nor seen a high-resolution review yet.

Also depends on which era and style you're choosing between, I guess.

Just to be brief, I really think this figure's biggest problems are how good some of the other iron man figures have been.

The head is OK, the video review posted earlier, he makes a good point that maybe this was based on the emaciated tony seen at the beginning of the movie.

Anyway, my main gripe with the figure is the useless backpack accessory that doesnt light up, and the paint is very shiny, I remember the armor having a more washed out look but honestly the armor is so short on screen time with normal lighting its probably just my poor memory.

I don’t know what you guys are on about. Sculpt looks spot on to me
584D4724-AB4B-418F-8539-F454144A0BC4.jpeg

What were the additional accessories in the coming soon? Or is that an accessories pack like the mark 50 that had to be purchased separately?

What were the additional accessories in the coming soon? Or is that an accessories pack like the mark 50 that had to be purchased separately?

Hot Toys hit us with the bait and switch and the only additional accessory (not accessories like they explicitly advertised) is the nano gauntlet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's something off with the proportion on this figure as well. Like either the chest is too short or his legs are too long. Like the entire section from his crotch to his neck looks like it got squashed down.

Something weird going on with the proportions there.

132034166_10158907432579743_5957646507809874834_o.jpg

132549656_10158907430969743_6694033381746191129_o.jpg

Back