1/6 Hot Toys Avengers: Endgame - Iron Man

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The revised HS is phenomenal and a huge step-up from the previous one!

It's the exact same sculpt.

The lighting in the original promo shots really exaggerates all the creases and line and bags under his eye, and hurts the likeness. It looks like it may have received a mild repaint, but this is the same sculpt.

Edit: It looks like they actually tweaked the hair, and made it more full, which helps with the overall proportions of the head, tut the face is untouched.

FB_IMG_1561709762138.jpg
65385170_2890332331039731_1123269226488922112_n.jpg
iron-man-mark-lxxxv__gallery_5ca26d12505ee.jpg

Perhaps they looked at the whole figure with all options they had and decided the best way to go both technically + costwise was to make the Gauntlet just for the hand.

You are the voice of reason. I work in product design (digital, specifically), and a business producing a product with the quality (and customer expectations) of Hot Toys doesn't make decisions based on "laziness." Quality is literally Hot Toys entire brand, so it behooves them to pursue higher quality for as long as it remains feasible and profitable.

If a product doesn't have a feature the customer wants, it's usually because it wasn't technically feasible, the manpower wasn't available, the design and production costs were too high, it wasn't in line with the business strategy, or, perhaps most importantly, the customer would not be willing to pay the increased price.

We already know that the community is vocally unhappy about prices, and adding more features or accessories will only drive up that price. They are probably very aware of the risk of putting a product to market that simply costs more than customers are willing to pay.

Not saying Hot Toys are "good guys." The ROTJ triple-dip was pretty aggressively bad.

I wish they would release more accessory packs, or do more standard/deluxe releases. I would love to have more agency in choosing what I'm willing to spend on a piece, for which accessories.

For example, I don't really care about the gauntlet, so if there was a deluxe version or accessory pack that included it, I might still just get the standard. However, if there was a deluxe version for Ragnarok Thor (with the one-eyed head) or an accessory pack for ROTJ Luke, I would have definitely bought those.

I will not, however, buy a new version of a figure I already have if it's released with new accessories a year later (as was done with ROTJ Luke).

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Was hoping for the gauntlet, so I'm glad they included it. A little disappointed by the no. of accessorie(s), but glad they changed the head sculpt to Mk 46/47/50 face with new hair. new.jpg

You are the voice of reason. I work in product design (digital, specifically), and a business producing a product with the quality (and customer expectations) of Hot Toys doesn't make decisions based on "laziness." Quality is literally Hot Toys entire brand, so it behooves them to pursue higher quality for as long as it remains feasible and profitable.

If a product doesn't have a feature the customer wants, it's usually because it wasn't technically feasible, the manpower wasn't available, the design and production costs were too high, it wasn't in line with the business strategy, or, perhaps most importantly, the customer would not be willing to pay the increased price.

We already know that the community is vocally unhappy about prices, and adding more features or accessories will only drive up that price. They are probably very aware of the risk of putting a product to market that simply costs more than customers are willing to pay.

Not saying Hot Toys are "good guys." The ROTJ triple-dip was pretty aggressively bad.

I wish they would release more accessory packs, or do more standard/deluxe releases. I would love to have more agency in choosing what I'm willing to spend on a piece, for which accessories.

For example, I don't really care about the gauntlet, so if there was a deluxe version or accessory pack that included it, I might still just get the standard. However, if there was a deluxe version for Ragnarok Thor (with the one-eyed head) or an accessory pack for ROTJ Luke, I would have definitely bought those.

I will not, however, buy a new version of a figure I already have if it's released with new accessories a year later (as was done with ROTJ Luke).

While I agree with your statements, respectfully I don't see how they apply in this instance. HT has already produced a figure (the Mark L) with the plug-in arm design, and they are selling it at a lower price than the Mark 85 - and with more accessories!

I'm not sure why everyone is saying it's just a hand. There's clearly a whole new forearm as well.

View attachment 459071

You are right. It is a whole new forearm as well.

I think the point is they redesigned the forearms to have the previously missing details which blend in better with the gauntlet; They aren't giving us any extra forearms.

Was hoping for the gauntlet, so I'm glad they included it. A little disappointed by the no. of accessorie(s), but glad they changed the head sculpt to Mk 46/47/50 face with new hair.

Did HT really go back to using the 46/47/50 headsculpt for the 85???

People? What's the consensus? Is HT just reusing the old one again?

It's same sculpt that was originally shown for the 85, which looks to have always been a modified 46/47/50 sculpt.

From my eye, (as a professional artist,) it appears that they took the previous 46/47/50 sculpt and aged it, by adding more wrinkles and adjusting the hair. The new photos show the same sculpt, just with the hair tweaked a bit more.

While I agree with your statements, respectfully I don't see how they apply in this instance. HT has already produced a figure (the Mark L) with the plug-in arm design, and they are selling it at a lower price than the Mark 85 - and with more accessories!

I think the point is they redesigned the forearms to have the previously missing details which blend in better with the gauntlet; They aren't giving us any extra forearms.

My guess is that they are. By completely swapping out the forearm, instead of offering a replacement, the "new" version would be massively incorrect when the gem hand is not applied.

They would have also swapped out the rest of the promo shots to include a reworked forearm, but they haven't. They show both forearms now.

My guess is that they are. By completely swapping out the forearm, instead of offering a replacement, the "new" version would be massively incorrect when the gem hand is not applied.

They would have also swapped out the rest of the promo shots to include a reworked forearm, but they haven't. They show both forearms now.

It would be great if you're correct, but unfortunately their failure to swap out the other promo photos doesn't prove anything. When they updated the design of the back attachment for the Mark L they released update pics, but didn't take down the old ones. Even the re-release on their site still has the wrong one in the photos.

It’s not the 46/47/50.

Edit: I guess what would be the issue even if it was heavily based on the older sculpt. It’s clearly been refined for the 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. It doesn't make sense to redesign the forearm with a lot more detail that would not match with the regular hand, or with how the suit looks in the rest of the movie.

I guess they could give us swappable, snap-on armor pieces depending on which hand he's wearing. That would be relatively simple to do. But if that's the case, it's odd that they don't mention it as an added accessory. They just say "Hot Toys’ team has greatly improved on head sculpt and characteristic design of the forearm armor to bring in the most true-to-movie details on figure!". No mention of it being a separate and distinct forearm or forearm armor piece.

It does appear to be a new forearm, I think.

I don't disagree on any particular point, I would just say there may be other factors. The cost of the materials may have changed, the market may have changed. I don't know exactly what the tarrif situation is right now, but that (or uncertainty about that) may be a factor. It could be as simple as Hot Toys saying "Wow, the margins on the Mk 50 ended up being smaller than we wanted."

I'm only speculating. I mention these ideas not because I necessarily think they apply to this specific scenario, but just to illuminate some of the reasons a piece might disappoint.

I still think HT are leaving good money on the table not offering alternative headsculpts or a few alternative accessories as extra packs for people that want it.

However I guess as soon as they do that people will just complain as usual why it's not included in the normal release etc etc.

I still think there is room for something like this without killing the secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't believe I'm saying this due to my distaste for power pose figures... But I would be 100% ok with HT making a screen accurate kneeling BD Mark 85 for Tony's snap in the power pose series. Maybe switch out snapping hand.

Last edited:
Back