Hot Toys Announce Batman Returns License

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You cannot imagine the joy and relief I feel at this announcement.

My inner collector will finally, one day, be completely satisfied. I grew up collecting Batman Returns action figures - and now I can finally do it the "grown-up" way.

I no longer have to worry that I won't have every major Batman character that was and is important to me - the Burton and Nolan movie versions are the ones that I honestly love, and they speak to me so much more than any other versions of the 70-year mythology.

I was scared that, even after the 1989 announcement, Batman Returns would be neglected by Hot Toys, as it is in many ways the "black sheep" of the Batman mythos.

It would be amazing if some licensing loophole existed that allowed HT to do this-

8e5ccf1e.jpg

Still my favorite Robin suit of all time....

That....

....would actually be pretty cool.

Hell, if they don't do that, I'll go ahead commission a custom as the final figure to add to my 1/6 collection - just because it looks cool AND connects my adult collecting to my childhood collecting, in a very unique and special way. End of 2013 perhaps, but it'll be a hell of a topper to a 4-year WIP.

I personally hope Hot Toys avoids the Schumacher films and spends its time on Bat-movies deserving figures.

And wich deserve? 66-68 series with Adam West? It doesn't even deserve to be released in the 7" format, sorry :dunno
TDKR is on it's way and then... we don't know what to expect.

So Schumacher's "Forever" all the way :rock

Last edited:
And wich deserve? 66-68 series with Adam West? It doesn't even deserve to be released in the 7" format, sorry :dunno
TDKR is on it's way and then... we don't know what to expect.

So Schumacher's "Forever" all the way :rock
Come on man.. :peace

That's EXACTLY what I'm waiting for HT to announce next at some point - HUGE fan right here!! :wave

The question is, will it be an impossibility due to the red tape that's seemed to surround the 60s show - regarding collectibles, since way back. As far as I'm aware, you still can't buy the TV series - just the film.

You cannot imagine the joy and relief I feel at this announcement.

My inner collector will finally, one day, be completely satisfied. I grew up collecting Batman Returns action figures - and now I can finally do it the "grown-up" way.

I no longer have to worry that I won't have every major Batman character that was and is important to me - the Burton and Nolan movie versions are the ones that I honestly love, and they speak to me so much more than any other versions of the 70-year mythology.

I was scared that, even after the 1989 announcement, Batman Returns would be neglected by Hot Toys, as it is in many ways the "black sheep" of the Batman mythos.

Actually I would say "BATMAN AND ROBIN" is the black sheep of the Batman film history.

I predict the milking will begin with...

Bruce Wayne DJ Edition
returnswikiwki-1307865361.gif

______

Funny thing is i was considering the 89 version, but i much prefer Returns as a film, so if anything HT has just saved themselves a sale by announcing this so soon. :lol

Last edited:
It would be amazing if some licensing loophole existed that allowed HT to do this-

8e5ccf1e.jpg

Still my favorite Robin suit of all time. I remember being so excited as a kid about seeing him included in the Batman Returns line from Kenner. I even got a free Returns poster when I bought him at Toys R Us...

Sallah

It would be neat, but would also never happen. They've never done any more than a repaint on an existing MOVIE character. Robin wasn't in that film. Maybe SS will do a similar version of Robin, eventually.

The Batskiboat would be small enough and easy for them to do. I love the kenner vehicle but I don't know if I'd buy a 1/6 version.

They'd have to make the Penguin's Duck vehicle for me to want the boat too.

Speaking of HT possibly continuing with Batman Forever figures I just watched it last night (well I had it on in the background and watched a good part of it anyway.)

Some thoughts:

1. Opening credits/logo is badass

2. Batsuit (panther one) also looks pretty badass

3. The combination of loud colors, dutch angles and music give it an instantly recognizable 90's vibe, which is both good and very, very bad.

The summer of 1995 really had some idiotic blockbusters. Sure there was Braveheart but that was in addition to Batman Forever, Waterworld, and Cutthroat Island. :lol

Goldeneye, Toy Story, and Heat closed the year nicely though.

4. Some of the dialogue is every bit as bad as B&R, ("Hot entrance") but at least its delivered much better

5. Car driving up the building is silly but kind of iconic

6. Scene where Robin sees his dead family is actually edited pretty well

7. The unintentionally bad/dated CG Gotham now kind of looks like a stylistic choice that actually works pretty well, IMO. Kind of like in certain Tarantino movies where the rear projection behind someone who is driving is deliberately and wildly off.

8. Kidman is by far the most beautiful bat girl.

I remember really liking this film when it came out, and it was even my favorite Batflick for a while. Schumacher wasn't a four-letter word at the time and it was nice the Robin didn't enter until about halfway through the film. If there was no B&R I think Forever would be much more appreciated today. A fun, though admittedly not spectacular, 90's diversion for the character.

I think people planning on picking up the Batmobile should get the Returns Batman to put in it. Then the superior cowl and batsymbol can still be seen in the cockpit even if you don't like the rest of the costume.

No six words!!

ADAM WEST

BURT WARD

YVONNE CRAIG:yess:

I'd love Adam West style Batman figures, but I don't think they're a possibility. There might be some loophole with the movie, but the show is so caught up in a rights tug of war, they can't even release DVDs.

Unlike Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, the 1966 show knew exactly what it was trying to be. It indulged in camp, showcasing the absurdity of some of the comics of the time. It worked because adults could laugh at the jokes while kids didn't care what was going on. They took it seriously because it was Batman.

The Schumacher movies couldn't decide what they were going for. They tried camp, but tried to mix it with terribly bad serious scenes (Alfred's sickness in B&R anyone?), and threw in over-the-top gaudy production design to top it all off.

Say what you will about some of the oddball choices in Batman Returns, but at least Burton and Bo Welch understood style. It's a beautiful movie that rivals some of the director's most impressive visual films.

Back