Hot toys and sunlight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galmando

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi guys

Quick question; got my detolf set up in the loft in pretty much the only place it'll really go, the problem is that everyday as the sun is going down it shines directly across the cabinet and over a few figures. How much of a problem is this?

I can't imagine direct sunlight is good for HT, or much else besides plants for that matter, but if it's just for an hour or so is this alright, or should i get one of those Velux loft blinds?

Here's a pic of the offending situation;

27368acd.jpg

Granted i'm in the UK so the chance of sunlight isn't the greatest, but it does happen from time to time. Currently Cap is getting an unhealthy dose of UV rays, Thor and Odin will be the next to tan up

I would avoid it but that's probably being overcautious.

But maybe over cautiousness is why I don't have deteriorating figures.

Plastic and cloth can definitely fade due to direct sunlight. I wouldn't go there with the light shining right on those guys like that. Maybe put a shade over the light.

Heat buildup in the cabinet is something to consider, too.

Heat buildup in the cabinet is something to consider, too.

I was thinking about this as well, so i've left the door open a little bit to 'air it out' so to speak.

The YMCA Group of Iron Men and then Supes and T2 fellas are unscathed

I'm slightly concerned about Supes lack of direct sunlight though...

Anyway, i've cracked open my birthday botyle of Glenmorangie and poured myself a little glass in toast to my makeshift success with 'blinds'

Huzah!

The only problem I see is Reeve Supes on the bottom shelf. :wave

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about UV light rather the actual visible light from the sun. Prolonged exposure to UV radiation can cause your figures to discolor, and possibly even deform (depending on the material). However, if you have closed storm windows that are UV resistant, then you shouldn't be worried. Also, it's most likely the case that the infrared (heat) radiation that enters into your room is already at a minimum - just high enough to heat up a surface, but not high enough to melt anything.

It's best to move the cabinet. All my collectibles are displayed to avoid any direct rays from my bedroom window. On a semi related note, anyone know what the long term effect is if I display a HT figure next to a bedside lamp? (run of the mill bulb with lamp shade)

Same effect as sunlight. Use LED lighting. Regular bulbs are HOT/emit UV.

It's not just for your figure... it's just better in general anyways.

Hope summers there aren't killer... it would be very bad for your figures all the way up there.

Back