Hot toys and sunlight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like everyone said. The discoloring of your figures is the biggest problem.

Luckily you have your Mars Attacks figures on the top. Direct sunlight will flat out ruin those guys. The rubber is gonna dry out and start cracking fast.

Move it.. why risk it?

Unrtunately there aren't any other areas in the loft to put the cabinets, it's a very awkward room for space

For now i have a makeshift blind in place as i've got my second detolf in and didn't want to risk both getting sunlight, and i've got a Velux blind on order, so crisis averted!

Since there is a thread about sunlight, I'm curious to ask this.
is indirect sunlight okay for the figure? not many people have closed room with no window at all.
I've read somewhere even indirect sunlight still has UV that will contribute to paint fading overtime. but how long until it will start affect the figures? anyone here has fading issue with indirect sunlight?

I've got one Detolf cabinet filled with HT figures in my home office at the moment. There are two large long thin windows on one side of the room (covered with white vertical blinds), & during the day, I cover the cabinet completely with a large white sheet.

Not only are the figures protected from sun, but the colour reduces heat to the cabinet as well. It's an effective & cheap solution, for very pricey (beloved) items. :)

Don't listen to any of these People.

Hot toys products are like vampires.

They simply
sparkle_logo.jpg
in the sun.

You're all amateurs, i keep my Hot Toys in a hermedically sealed bunker. When i go to view them i step into a sealed hazard suit complete with oxygen mask & tank and soft cotton gloves and enter through the airlock ;)

Last edited:
The Gila window tint film really is the best solution for you. I use it on my windows. It is expensive. About $40 per window but the investment has been worth it. Much better than having your collection damaged by UV exposure.

The Gila window tint film really is the best solution for you. I use it on my windows. It is expensive. About $40 per window but the investment has been worth it. Much better than having your collection damaged by UV exposure.

Do all of those tints protect from UV or just certain ones?

Hi guys

Quick question; got my detolf set up in the loft in pretty much the only place it'll really go, the problem is that everyday as the sun is going down it shines directly across the cabinet and over a few figures. How much of a problem is this?

I can't imagine direct sunlight is good for HT, or much else besides plants for that matter, but if it's just for an hour or so is this alright, or should i get one of those Velux loft blinds?

Here's a pic of the offending situation;

27368acd.jpg

Granted i'm in the UK so the chance of sunlight isn't the greatest, but it does happen from time to time. Currently Cap is getting an unhealthy dose of UV rays, Thor and Odin will be the next to tan up

That Odin looks familiar :wink1:
I only ever open the blinds to my man cave when theres no direct sunlight shining in. The figures colours will definitely fade over time when exposed to direct light.

Back