Hot Toys ALIEN

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is funny to me, because, unless they do indeed have likeness rights, then here we go again! :lol
It'll be, ANDY, and DARREN, or LONNIE...or whoever can redo these guys, yet again!
I'd assume the attire will be good though.
But, I hope for good likenesses. Good comment. I eagerly await what comes.

(Man, if they produce a great Yaphet Kotto head, that sets up a Kananga for Bond sets also!)

What exactly was the story with the Aliens likeness issue, anyway? Was it just that certain actors didn't want their likeness used, or they wanted too much for it? Do we know for sure that rights were even the problem? I mean, everyone but Hudson and maybe Apone looked similar enough to the actors to pass, even though they weren't fantastic likenesses.

What exactly was the story with the Aliens likeness issue, anyway? I mean, everyone but Hudson and maybe Apone looked similar enough to the actors to pass, even though they weren't fantastic likenesses.
I met Al Matthews (Apone) at a UK con and he mentioned he wasn't happy about Hot Toys making a fig of him and said he has his lawyer onto them.

I guess when the actors sign the contract to do the movie they also sign away their image/likeness away for merchandising and HT are officially licensed by Fox so Matthews would have lost?

I met Al Matthews (Apone) at a UK con and he mentioned he wasn't happy about Hot Toys making a fig of him and said he has his lawyer onto them.

I guess I'll have to scrap my plan of having him autograph an Apone figure. :lol Still, maybe this has something to do with the comparatively lousy likeness on Apone.

Im betting we will see all 8 characters from the film with at least 3 space suit variants. plus Jones with catbox!!

What exactly was the story with the Aliens likeness issue, anyway? Was it just that certain actors didn't want their likeness used, or they wanted too much for it? Do we know for sure that rights were even the problem? I mean, everyone but Hudson and maybe Apone looked similar enough to the actors to pass, even though they weren't fantastic likenesses.

This topic was discussed in Wor-Gar's legendary Alien/Aliens thread at some length and I think the general consensus, if memory serves, was that Hot Toys got the rights to do the characters from the movie, but not necessarily the actual portraits of the actors who played them. I suppose only HT knows the real story behind it, though it's a plausible explanation.

Not unlike garage kit makers who get around licensing issues by giving their kits generic names, HT made up for it by "disguising" certain portraits with the paint apps, and using similar indirect methods to give us some pretty decent head sculpts of Hicks and the many of the other Aliens characters.

If they'd had to get approval from all of the actors from Aliens, some of whom are now big stars, it might have been too unprofitable for them and we'd never have gotten the USCMs and Ripley figures we love so much.

Maybe if I were one of the actors, like Al Matthews, I'd feel differently, but as an Aliens fan and figure collector, I don't have problem with it. :monkey3

I dont know if it was posted here or on another forum (maybe OSW) but someone once posted a picture of Michael Biehn signing his Hicks figure at a convension and he looked super-pissed off :lol

Going off the Alien Quadrilogy boxset, Biehn seems like the kind of guy who would demand money for the use of his likeness in merchandising.

Yeah , they will probably make as many as possible to suck our wallets away :lol. Hell they will probably make a figure of the chestburster! :rotfl

Oh no, why would they ever make a chestburster?????

Um...Excuse me....uh....Hello!....

Chesty1.jpg

:D

I dont know if it was posted here or on another forum (maybe OSW) but someone once posted a picture of Michael Biehn signing his Hicks figure at a convension and he looked super-pissed off :lol

Going off the Alien Quadrilogy boxset, Biehn seems like the kind of guy who would demand money for the use of his likeness in merchandising.

I am kinda glad I didn't get mine signed when I met him now....

Well, now that the subject of the actors' portraits has been brought up, I wonder if Hot Toys will go the same route as before. Seems likely. They may be a little too high profile now to pull it off as easily as they did with the Aliens characters, especially if any of the stars from Alien happen to be paying attention. Guess we'll have a better idea after they unveil the first two figures.

If the likenesses are off (for whatever reason) it could put a significant damper on my enthusiasm for this line. At least with the marines they had all that cool armor and weaponry, but (unless they decide to do the space suits) these characters are mostly just in cloth jumpsuits.

Back