1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The head sculpt on this figure looks nothing like Brie Larson. Hot Toys has done some sculpts that have been a bit off plenty of times in the past, but this is as generic as some of their Aliens Marines likenesses.

I saw Captain Marvel last Saturday. I didn't pick up on any SJW vibe throughout the film, but I did find the whole movie kind of, flat. Larson had no charisma. She was just kind of, there. If it weren't for the inclusion of Fury and rookie Coulson, it really would have been very droll. Even Mendelsohn was more interesting even when you couldn't recognize him. And why wouldn't Fury be a little more carefree? This is before ALL the heavy **** we have come to since 2008. This is the prequel film. Don't think of him losing his eye to a cat. It only looks like a cat to us. That creature is horrendous. Rocket isn't a raccoon, he only looks like one to us. At least the movie wasn't as preachy as Black Panther. (White man bad, black man better)
For me, it was a one and done film that filled in some blanks that leads us to what will quite possibly be the biggest film climax ever imagined, Endgame. To quote the hillbilly from the defunct TV show, "Sons of Guns"
"Neva been done befo."

To be fair, the CM headsculpt isn't spot-on...it comes off as a knock-off company's attempt at it.
I totally stand by what I said. You can say it's well painted and realistic, but it doesn't look like the actress at all. It's just a generic female face.

The head sculpt on this figure looks nothing like Brie Larson. Hot Toys has done some sculpts that have been a bit off plenty of times in the past, but this is as generic as some of their Aliens Marines likenesses.

yeah... there's maybe 30% of that sculpt that you could attribute to her likeness... Crossing my fingers on an updated sculpt before release - they've got plenty of time!

I totally stand by what I said. You can say it's well painted and realistic, but it doesn't look like the actress at all. It's just a generic female face.

It's not spot on, but I think the harsh lighting isn't doing the figure any favors. If its photos had some natural shadowing, it probably would look better. As it stands, it doesn't seem too far off. Plus when the head is 1" high any differences will be less pronounced.

captain-marvel_marvel_gallery_5c5df7bdce15d.jpg
brie-larson-captain-marvel-carol-danvers.jpg

...I did find the whole movie kind of, flat. Larson had no charisma. She was just kind of, there. If it weren't for the inclusion of Fury and rookie Coulson, it really would have been very droll.

:some spoilers ahead:
That was the whole point of the entire film. She had woken up with no memories, no sense of who she was. Her powers, memories, and emotions were there but she had no recollection of any of it due to Kree suppressing everything. They had trained her, essentially turned her into a fighting machine to use for their own purpose.

I definitely suggest that this is not a one and done movie for you. If you watch it again, you can see the evolution that Brie infuses into the character throughout the length of the film. As she gains back memories, meets old friends, remembers what made her who she was, she starts to get more snarky, joking, starts doubting what little she knows, and begins to generally care about the characters around her. You can see her growth through the movie as she initially has no trust or worry for Fury at the start, only driven to take out the Skrulls. Through the movie, she starts to care for Fury and puts herself at risk several times to protect Fury and others around her. Once she breaks free of the Kree control at the end of the movie, you can see a huge release of power and personality. Frankly, the acting job she pulled off in the film is nothing short of genius and is unfortunately misunderstood by many people who just didn't care to factor the story into her persona. There is no bad acting here, she played the character that was written for her, and that character was heavily suppressed in more than one way for most of the film.

My bet is that you are going to see Brie play a completely different character in End Game. With so many years between the events of the films, and fully gaining back her memories and history, she is bound to be a very charismatic and powerful character in the film.

Eh, I'm not one of those hating on Brie's performance, but I can't say I really noticed that much of a change throughout the movie. Except for a few scenes here and there (such as with her old friend), she played the character in the same reserved way, with the same mischievous look in her eye that we saw in the opening scenes with Jude Law. And that was about the same level of warmth and humor we saw from her until the end.

Which personally I wasn't that bothered with. My issue with the movie was less with Brie's performance than with the generic and uninspired story she was stuck in. And if she came across a bit flat it was only because she wasn't given anything all that interesting to do or witty to say.

:some spoilers ahead:
That was the whole point of the entire film. She had woken up with no memories, no sense of who she was. Her powers, memories, and emotions were there but she had no recollection of any of it due to Kree suppressing everything. They had trained her, essentially turned her into a fighting machine to use for their own purpose.

I definitely suggest that this is not a one and done movie for you. If you watch it again, you can see the evolution that Brie infuses into the character throughout the length of the film. As she gains back memories, meets old friends, remembers what made her who she was, she starts to get more snarky, joking, starts doubting what little she knows, and begins to generally care about the characters around her. You can see her growth through the movie as she initially has no trust or worry for Fury at the start, only driven to take out the Skrulls. Through the movie, she starts to care for Fury and puts herself at risk several times to protect Fury and others around her. Once she breaks free of the Kree control at the end of the movie, you can see a huge release of power and personality. Frankly, the acting job she pulled off in the film is nothing short of genius and is unfortunately misunderstood by many people who just didn't care to factor the story into her persona. There is no bad acting here, she played the character that was written for her, and that character was heavily suppressed in more than one way for most of the film.

My bet is that you are going to see Brie play a completely different character in End Game. With so many years between the events of the films, and fully gaining back her memories and history, she is bound to be a very charismatic and powerful character in the film.

Eh, I'm not one of those hating on Brie's performance, but I can't say I really noticed that much of a change throughout the movie. Except for a few scenes here and there (such as with her old friend), she played the character in the same reserved way, with the same mischievous look in her eye that we saw in the opening scenes with Jude Law. And that was about the same level of warmth and humor we saw from her until the end.

Which personally I wasn't that bothered with. My issue with the movie was less with Brie's performance than with the generic and uninspired story she was stuck in. And if she came across a bit flat it was only because she wasn't given anything all that interesting to do or witty to say.

I also saw some subtle changes in her performance as the film progressed. I think the intention was to add a little more "realism" to the film. As Carol started to learn about her past, she was changing slowly. However, it does not make sense for character to do a 180 degree turn in the short time (in the MCU timeline) that was covered by the film. Especially considering that she was trained to control her emotions for years.

The MCU is not a smooth road. Thor was apparently a bit of an ass for hundreds of years before he was banished to earth with no power for a few days with a cute girl and then suddenly became a better man. So i can believe her doing a 180 after 6 years.
I can change mind about something in seconds after finding out new information.

The classic death and rebirth story. You have to let part of you die off to incorporate new information and be reborn something new. Phoenix imagery comes to mind. CM’s transformation was subtle but it was there.

The only thing I didn’t like about her character was her arrogance. Humility seems to be missing in her hero arc. I look to Superman, Captain America or Spider-Man who have humility with the knowledge of their powers. There may be a short time when they are arrogant, yes, but something happens to make them realize how much responsibility they hold and careful they must be with this power and how grateful they are to have it. I see more vindication in her. Justification for everything she’s been through to receive these powers. As if she deserves them with righteous indignation.

Not every hero can be a Clark Kent or a Steve Rogers. Some are Wade Wilsons and Wolverines. I guess that’s just who she is but that doesn’t mean I have to like her. She is not someone my daughters or I would look up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just want to add my two cents on this, as a woman (because I know a lot of you discussing this here are guys, which is totally fine, I'm just adding a different perspective) - I can understand on the surface how the story seems generic: human taken by aliens, human loses memory, human regains memory and sees the bad guys for who they are, becomes a hero. But the actual artistry behind the story is the experience of women everywhere that can identify with within that narrative. What we see in this story (granted, not all women will, just like how some men will see it and others won't) is the experience Carol goes through with Yon-Rogg/The Kree trying to mold her to fit what they want from her, what they expect from her, and not let her be who she wants to be, and trying to suppress her and hold her back when she tries to step outside of that expectation. There are subtitles in the way that Yon-Rogg talks to Vers/Carol that may just seem like he's trying to teach her, but in reality those things are said to manipulate her, push her down, and keep her "in her place". That's why the scene with Carol standing up is so important: because it's her literally and figuratively pushing back and saying "No, I am going to be who I want to be, and do what I want to do." That's why once Carol gets away from the Kree for a longer period of time in the movie, she starts to show more personality, she opens up, because she's not 100% held back anymore. That expands even more when she breaks free from the Supreme Intelligence. The story Carol goes through is all part of the female experience out here in the real world. Little things, small words, where someone tells you you can't do something. It's a universal experience, but one that women can identify with more than most men. So it's those subtitles that for people (women and men) that can identify with them in the story takes it to a whole new level above being a generic narrative construct.

I'm just going to finish with: please don't think I'm getting on my soapbox at you, I'm just explaining the subtitles in the story that I personally saw and identified with as a woman that took the film from generic narrative to incredibly inspiring storytelling for me.

Also, just to stay on topic :lol I really love the look of the figure, I haven't been this excited to add a figure to my collection in a while, so yay.

The classic death and rebirth story. You have to let part of you die off to incorporate new information and be reborn something new. Phoenix imagery comes to mind. CM’s transformation was subtle but it was there.

The only thing I didn’t like about her character was her arrogance. Humility seems to be missing in her hero arc. I look to Superman, Captain America or Spider-Man who have humility with the knowledge of their powers. There may be a short time when they are arrogant, yes, but something happens to make them realize how much responsibility they hold and careful they must be with this power and how grateful they are to have it. I see more vindication in her. Justification for everything she’s been through to receive these powers. As if she deserves them with righteous indignation.

Not every hero can be a Clark Kent or a Steve Rogers. Some are Wade Wilsons and Wolverines. I guess that’s just who she is but that doesn’t mean I have to like her. She is not someone my daughters or I would look up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to disagree with this. I saw humility in her when she realised about the Skrulls. Apologising to them for her part (undoubtedly with her powers) in killing/harming their people in the Kree/Skrull war. Her making the decision to help them personally to find a new home, leave her own home that she's just rediscovered, is her taking responsibility for her part in the war, and using what power she holds in a way that benefits someone that needs her help.

Not being afraid of her powers, embracing them, and having fun with them, doesn't mean she doesn't realise the importance of what power she holds.

EDIT: Just another point to add, the use of language when addressing the Skrulls shows responsibility and humility in her, versus Yon-Rogg at the beginning of the film.

Yon-Rogg to the refugees (who end up being Skrulls): "Don't make me hurt you"

Carol, realising the Skrulls aren't the enemy: "I won't hurt you."

The whole amnesia thing was such a drag on the film and it was all for a mystery that really wasn't worth it. The Yon-Rogg/Skrull twist wasn't bad. What "happened to her" was pretty underwhelming. I would have rather just directly met the character and gotten to know her from the very beginning.

I think RedLetterMedia hit the nail on the head in that we know she was brain washed and being used, so watching her slowly realise this across the film, which wasn't done particularly well, was sort of a bore. We already know, what's the point of watching it, she doesn't react badly at all. She doen't act like she's killed hundreds or thousands of innocents and was being used to do so. Also as a supposed brainwashed superweapon she didn't really come across as overly trained at the beginning. I don't know, it just seemed like a Guardians film with no character of its own, she was sort of a ****** too, but not in a way that gets you on her side like Tony can be.

Back