1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Captain Marvel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think RedLetterMedia hit the nail on the head in that we know she was brain washed and being used, so watching her slowly realise this across the film, which wasn't done particularly well, was sort of a bore. We already know, what's the point of watching it, she doesn't react badly at all. She doen't act like she's killed hundreds or thousands of innocents and was being used to do so. Also as a supposed brainwashed superweapon she didn't really come across as overly trained at the beginning. I don't know, it just seemed like a Guardians film with no character of its own, she was sort of a ****** too, but not in a way that gets you on her side like Tony can be.

Why would she? When she was kidnapped by Talos it was while she was on her first mission. Obviously the Kree had been playing the long con with her while she was trained & taught to "control her powers" - the Supreme Intelligence probably first tried to extract information from her about the Tesseract just as Talos eventually did. Did we watch the same movie?

I think RedLetterMedia hit the nail on the head in that we know she was brain washed and being used, so watching her slowly realise this across the film, which wasn't done particularly well, was sort of a bore. We already know, what's the point of watching it, she doesn't react badly at all. She doen't act like she's killed hundreds or thousands of innocents and was being used to do so. Also as a supposed brainwashed superweapon she didn't really come across as overly trained at the beginning. I don't know, it just seemed like a Guardians film with no character of its own, she was sort of a ****** too, but not in a way that gets you on her side like Tony can be.

All I see - and in the comics as well - is a kinda mash-up of Bucky Barnes, Tony, SW - e.g. grab other characters' characteristics, mash em together, make her OP - and u get - an often rebooted character that Marvel never seemed to know what to do with; and throw in some debatable writers and indie directors. It would have taken some real skill to essentially pull another IM1. The CM movie isn't it.

E.g. a character waaaay back that Marvel should've thought long and hard about, 'coz it's not easy to evolve a compelling character when so many other niches have been filled by other characters. Females with tough back stories, powers, and all that. Shapeshifters, characters that went from dark to light and back, etc. The minute I heard about the "brainwashing" bit I wanted to yawn. Been there, done that - and with a classic comic run, too.

Whether future movies can evolve the character is debatable. To be fair, tho I love TFA and appreciate it even more as time goes on, Cap up to TWS was often called the most boring Avenger. The right writers and directors can make a huge difference.

I would have rather just directly met the character and gotten to know her from the very beginning.

Yeah, I would've liked it better for EG if they had done more of a BP kind of intro. Just have CM off on a planet somewhere and figure out - maybe scouting the universe or picking up a radio signal - that something happened on Earth, and other planets. She just picks Earth to investigate 'coz this "water planet" with all its life just kinda interests her. And she just shows up with some Ravagers in tow to kick butt. Details to come later.

I just want to add my two cents on this, as a woman (because I know a lot of you discussing this here are guys, which is totally fine, I'm just adding a different perspective) - I can understand on the surface how the story seems generic: human taken by aliens, human loses memory, human regains memory and sees the bad guys for who they are, becomes a hero. But the actual artistry behind the story is the experience of women everywhere that can identify with within that narrative. What we see in this story (granted, not all women will, just like how some men will see it and others won't) is the experience Carol goes through with Yon-Rogg/The Kree trying to mold her to fit what they want from her, what they expect from her, and not let her be who she wants to be, and trying to suppress her and hold her back when she tries to step outside of that expectation. There are subtitles in the way that Yon-Rogg talks to Vers/Carol that may just seem like he's trying to teach her, but in reality those things are said to manipulate her, push her down, and keep her "in her place". That's why the scene with Carol standing up is so important: because it's her literally and figuratively pushing back and saying "No, I am going to be who I want to be, and do what I want to do." That's why once Carol gets away from the Kree for a longer period of time in the movie, she starts to show more personality, she opens up, because she's not 100% held back anymore. That expands even more when she breaks free from the Supreme Intelligence. The story Carol goes through is all part of the female experience out here in the real world. Little things, small words, where someone tells you you can't do something. It's a universal experience, but one that women can identify with more than most men. So it's those subtitles that for people (women and men) that can identify with them in the story takes it to a whole new level above being a generic narrative construct.

I'm just going to finish with: please don't think I'm getting on my soapbox at you, I'm just explaining the subtitles in the story that I personally saw and identified with as a woman that took the film from generic narrative to incredibly inspiring storytelling for me.

Also, just to stay on topic :lol I really love the look of the figure, I haven't been this excited to add a figure to my collection in a while, so yay.

Fair enough. I definitely loved those scenes of her standing up to Yon-Rogg and the Intelligence at the end, and the idea of her humanity being what keeps her fighting on and getting back up after every defeat. But ultimately it still felt like a pretty pedestrian storyline to me as far as Marvel movies go, and one that didn't really tell us much about Carol beyond the fact she likes to fly planes. But I realize movies like this or Black Panther may resonate on some much deeper levels for other people watching, and that's fine. There's no shortage of other superhero movies out there for me to like. :)

Fair enough. But ultimately it still felt like a pretty pedestrian storyline to me as far as Marvel movies go, and one that didn't really tell us much about Carol beyond the fact she likes to fly planes. But I realize movies like this or Black Panther may resonate on some much deeper levels for other people watching, and that's fine. There's no shortage of other superhero movies out there for me to like. :)

Good response. :duff

Why would she? When she was kidnapped by Talos it was while she was on her first mission. Obviously the Kree had been playing the long con with her while she was trained & taught to "control her powers" - the Supreme Intelligence probably first tried to extract information from her about the Tesseract just as Talos eventually did. Did we watch the same movie?

Wait, did I miss it, THAT was her first mission?

Yep. As you may recall, early on she was pushing Yon-Rogg to let her out into the field but he said she wouldn't be ready until she used "less of this (her heart/emotions) and more of this (her brain)". That was on the way to see the Supreme Intelligence who, although questioning Vers's claim that she was ready, still ultimately told her she had a mission. That's why she was so amped up & eager to rush in when they located the spy they were sent to save.

Yep. As you may recall, early on she was pushing Yon-Rogg to let her out into the field but he said she wouldn't be ready until she used "less of this (her heart/emotions) and more of this (her brain)". That was on the way to see the Supreme Intelligence who, although questioning Vers's claim that she was ready, still ultimately told her she had a mission. That's why she was so amped up & eager to rush in when they located the spy they were sent to save.

Yup. That’s what I remember.

It was right there in the beginning.

Yeah they did a terrible job of establishing what she knew/didn’t know or was capable or not capable of.

Did anyone else wish they explained why some kree were different colors? It seemed really obvious that carol was not one of them.

Also, I thought it made a lot more sense for Lawson to be a skrull considering there was nothing kree about her appearance

Yeah they did a terrible job of establishing what she knew/didn’t know or was capable or not capable of.

Did anyone else wish they explained why some kree were different colors? It seemed really obvious that carol was not one of them.

Also, I thought it made a lot more sense for Lawson to be a skrull considering there was nothing kree about her appearance

IMO the MCU leaves plenty of gaps and/or characters with an uneven power level.

Well, that device on her neck was put there by the Kree to limit her powers (it was similar to what they used to limit Daisy's powers on AoS), so until she stood up to the Supreme Intelligence and fried it, she really didn't know her true capabilities.

I asked about the Kree skin tones back when this first came out, as Yonn-Rogg & Korath weren't blue either. I thought they might have come from conquered worlds, but the answer I got back was that their society is as diverse as ours on Earth. So Carol not being Kree wasn't quite so obvious.

I'm still a little confused as to her power levels also. So we saw her pummeling through a huge ship in a matter of seconds - can she do this to Thanos? I mean if she's now the strongest Avenger as Feige said she is then presumably she's stronger than Thor's Stormbreakers which withstood the power of all the stones and almost killed him. If she's been away since the 90's to present day with untapped power learned for all those years surely she can end it all swiftly? I don't know... I still think this film came out too soon, and I still think they didn't entirely do justice to it. And if she does defeat Thanos herself in Endgame then I think an even bigger injustice to the original Avengers.

Well, Thanos is an Eternal/Titan with all of the Infinity Stones, whereas Captain Marvel (like Scarlet Witch) has powers derived from one of them. So while she can destroy a huge ship (something I think Thor could also do with Stormbreaker), dispatching Thanos would be another thing entirely. What she may be able to do is destroy the space stone, similar to how Scarlet Witch was able to destroy the mind stone in IW before Thanos turned back time. Of course I don't see that happening in Endgame unless they can get the time stone away from Thanos first - although I suppose travelling back in time and destroying it prior to Thanos obtaining the time stone would work too. Time is linear, so if Thanos turned back time in that scenario, he would also be relinquishing the time stone in the process. But then Thor could also just travel back to that point and kill him with Stormbreaker. :gah: Time travel story lines are so annoying!

I'm still a little confused as to her power levels also. So we saw her pummeling through a huge ship in a matter of seconds - can she do this to Thanos? I mean if she's now the strongest Avenger as Feige said she is then presumably she's stronger than Thor's Stormbreakers which withstood the power of all the stones and almost killed him. If she's been away since the 90's to present day with untapped power learned for all those years surely she can end it all swiftly? I don't know... I still think this film came out too soon, and I still think they didn't entirely do justice to it. And if she does defeat Thanos herself in Endgame then I think an even bigger injustice to the original Avengers.

I don't think Marvel will do that. If I remember correctly, I've read different articles/interviews that indicate that Endgame's focus will be on the original six Avengers. But even without that information, I doubt that Marvel will introduce a character so powerful that she can defeat Thanos by herself. If so, what's the purpose of having other superheroes in Endgame? It doesn't make sense to me so I doubt they will do that.

You can also see from the Endgame posters already released that CM is not the centerpiece. She'll be a big help but will not be powerful enough to defeat Thanos by herself.

I don't think Marvel will do that. If I remember correctly, I've read different articles/interviews that indicate that Endgame's focus will be on the original six Avengers. But even without that information, I doubt that Marvel will introduce a character so powerful that she can defeat Thanos by herself. If so, what's the purpose of having other superheroes in Endgame? It doesn't make sense to me so I doubt they will do that.

You can also see from the Endgame posters already released that CM is not the centerpiece. She'll be a big help but will not be powerful enough to defeat Thanos by herself.

Yep, fully agree, and I've said it before in the figure section and movie section of these forums. The original 6 I believe will be the focus. They have the poster prominence. They get the top billing. And from a character point of view, there are good reasons why none of them died in the snap.

Remember when The Vision was introduced as the most powerful member of the group? (Was certainly no less than equal to Thor) And look what happened to him. I just can't see this being like Superman in the Justice League movie.

Fair enough. I definitely loved those scenes of her standing up to Yon-Rogg and the Intelligence at the end, and the idea of her humanity being what keeps her fighting on and getting back up after every defeat. But ultimately it still felt like a pretty pedestrian storyline to me as far as Marvel movies go, and one that didn't really tell us much about Carol beyond the fact she likes to fly planes. But I realize movies like this or Black Panther may resonate on some much deeper levels for other people watching, and that's fine. There's no shortage of other superhero movies out there for me to like. :)

Thank you for responding in an understanding way! :) It's true, every film resonates with people differently, and I can totally accept and understand that CM didn't with some people more than others. For the record I do wish we'd seen more of Carol's backstory pre-Kree, I liked those scenes, even the brief ones while the Skrulls were going through her memories. Hopefully we'll see more of that in CM 2.

I think you guys are over analysing this... it's a comic book movie, just sit and enjoy it for what it is.

Yep, fully agree, and I've said it before in the figure section and movie section of these forums. The original 6 I believe will be the focus. They have the poster prominence. They get the top billing. And from a character point of view, there are good reasons why none of them died in the snap.

Remember when The Vision was introduced as the most powerful member of the group? (Was certainly no less than equal to Thor) And look what happened to him. I just can't see this being like Superman in the Justice League movie.

Good thing it's a "comic book movie" coz I always thought it's pretty questionable that the Snap would work that way:google - it was too neat leaving a certain group alive. ANYWAY tho I don't trust Marvel's marketing at all, after the screentime in IW. Cap had plenty of prominence re IW marketing, and had 6 minutes of screen time in IW. :pfft:

Which may mean anything re EG, if all the marketing is taken from the early part of the film. It could be just distraction. Or not. :dunno Heck, Marvel even talked about doing no trailers etc. at all for EG

Feige told MTV News during a red carpet interview at the Golden Globes that the footage in trailers and sneak peeks will be mostly from the first 15 to 20 minutes of this year’s blockbuster.

"I'd call it somewhat accurate," Feige said. "As was the case with a lot of our films, this one in particular, being able to generate a lot of excitement without giving away one of the many, many, many secrets. I think the Disney marketing team is the best in the world and we'll be able to pull it off."

The Russos have said something to the effect that they would complete Cap's arc that they started. They've also said they've found a "thoughtful" way to deal with CM's power level. I can't think that Spiderman and DS aren't gonna be showcased somehow either, with more films for them planned.

i really wish Hot Toys will make a Yon-Rogg figure! Do you think it will happen? Fingers crossed.

Also Vers with the Starforce suit

There has been some discussion about that from a member here who spoke with some people who may have an inside track. In other words, you never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back