1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Avengers: Endgame Capt America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much tax do you get charged from those places compared to SSC?

Two years ago when I purchased from BBTS, I wasn?t charged sales tax.

Its the same tax rate from bbts. Looks like still no sales tax ordering from timewalker or pop culture zone, but I assume they'd start adding it soon. Those places just have much lower shipping rates and usually sell below msrp. No tax for now just makes it even cheaper.

Hope so. The only thing I have left on preorder at SS is Iron Man MK85. It doesnt show tax added but I have a feeling when it's shipping they will tack on the charge. I guess we'll see when the first new preorders start shipping soon for people.

It doesn't show tax for me either, but look at the notice on the bottom...ugh!

ss tax.jpg

View attachment 474918
I figure cuz thought about paying off hot Toys ps4 spidey. Only had 3 payments of about 40 bucks and when I looked at the plain on the last payment would have to pay 60 something. And ordered before the end of December.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

View attachment 474918

Yes but that caveat has been on orders for as long as I can remember, but previously it only applied to buyers in California. Below is my post from earlier today in The Sandbox discussion thread. It shouldn't be long before we find out one way or the other.

I'm guessing any orders placed prior to the law taking effect (or prior to the deadline for charging tax) will be immune to state taxes. From what I'm seeing and others have said, that seems to be the case. I doubt that Sideshow wants to deal with all the customer ill-will if they were to retroactively charge taxes on previously placed orders. Wording in their Terms & Conditions may give them that leeway ("We will add applicable sales taxes and shipping fees as necessary."), but unless they have no option it wouldn't be in their best interest from a business standpoint.

I think tax will be collected on all pending orders going forward. It doesn't make sense that they can not charge you if you pre-ordered anything from last year because the final charge is when they ship it to you so tax will probably be collected. I would be happy to be wrong about this though. I guess we'll see when they start shipping the next thing that comes in.

It's not Sideshow's fault though. Amazon started doing it and more online retailers are having to follow suit. Governments want as much tax dollars as they can get.

Its not even Amazon's fault. South Dakota was the state that started a lawsuit to get sales tax. I think it went to the Supreme Court. So thank South Dakota.

No, I'm pretty sure the tax is charged based on where it's shipped.

Yeah its charge where it's getting shipped to. Different counties and cities in California charge different tax rates, so it's different all over here.

The whole internet sales tax based on where you live has never made sense to me. The idea behind it is that if you buy something locally, then you would pay sales tax. Therefore if you buy something over the internet that you could get locally, then you should have to pay sales tax for that as well. However, I can't get Hot Toys figures locally, so having to pay local sales tax makes no sense. I understand that it is a blanket policy, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. It would make more sense if we got charged tax for the state that the item was purchased in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ehhh, the days of shopping online and avoiding sales taxes was numbered after that Supreme Court ruling back in 2017 or 2018 regarding interstate commerce and states collecting sales taxes, so this development doesn't surprise me at all. Expect more and more online retailers to be forced to add sales taxes in the upcoming years. I have four items on PO on SS (Mk 85, WM Mk 6, IP, and Punisher WM), and I already said to myself those will likely be the last items I get from SS.

The whole internet sales tax based on where you live has never made sense to me. The idea behind it is that if you buy something locally, then you would pay sales tax. Therefore if you buy something over the internet that you could get locally, then you should have to pay sales tax for that as well. However, I can't get Hot Toys figures locally, so having to pay local sales tax makes no sense. I understand that it is a blanket policy, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. It would make more sense if we got charged tax for the state that the item was purchased in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

You were always supposed to report all purchases you made online and pay the sales tax to your state yourself, that's the law. But literally nobody did that.

Seems sideshow might be bumping up shipping costs too. I almost ordered the Attack of the Clones Yoda and for that little box they wanted $22 shipping. That?s more than most shipping I?ve had through them. + $10 tax now. Nope. Won?t do it

yep, shipping went up for me too. Got a $25 off code earlier today and was looking to potentially order advanced suit Spiderman, but shipping was $24.76. That's a $3.42 bump from figures that shipped for me last month. Technically, probably UPS increasing shipping costs, but still ridiculous given BBTS's $4 shipping and around $7.50 from a couple of other sites I checked.

yep, shipping went up for me too. Got a $25 off code earlier today and was looking to potentially order advanced suit Spiderman, but shipping was $24.76. That's a $3.42 bump from figures that shipped for me last month. Technically, probably UPS increasing shipping costs, but still ridiculous given BBTS's $4 shipping and around $7.50 from a couple of other sites I checked.
Yeah they did. Shipped something couple days ago and was higher. Like comics use media mail and was 2.75 now it's close to 3.40.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

UPS and FedEx raised their rates 5% at the end of December.

Its not like $4 Pile of Loot is BBTS' cost, they take a (sometimes large) loss on that even though its usually very slow Fedex Smartpost which has no insurance or signature options. Its an order enticement, and makes their handling less rushed, considering the large amount of inexpensive items they sell they probably calculated its worth the risk. Sideshow doesn't sell Funkos and Marvel Legends. That said what you save on shipping from one retailer can usually equal some other enticement from another retailer, like rewards points.

I'm looking at this from my perspective as a consumer. I understand that a business needs to make money, but when I have options of purchasing the same item from multiple sources, I often look for the cheapest one. I am aware that $4 is not what it costs BBTS to ship a Hot Toys figure, but that's what I pay them to ship it. $24.76 is also not what is costs Sideshow as they receive probably a 50% discount or more off of that rate.

I have never used the Pile of Loot. Everything I order from BBTS has shipped within a few days for $4. Checking now, if I want it shipped/delivered faster it's $10.49. BBTS aside, I've ordered from other places like Timewalker, PopCultureZone, Alter Ego, Secret Compass, etc. Despite the fact that they get these items from Sideshow, it still costs me less to purchase from them than Sideshow, even taking into account Sideshow Rewards. In a few instances, the products even dropped shipped directly from Sideshow.

A couple of examples of figures I plan to order - Rescue and Cap 2012 version (currently no tax at these places, but we'll leave that out of the comparison):

Timewalker (free double boxing)
- Rescue - $394.99 with free shipping over $350
- Cap - $251.99 + $13.29 shipping

Pop Culture Zone (free double boxing)
- Rescue - $374.99 + $7.81 shipping = $383
- Cap - $238.99 + $7.81 shipping = $247

Alter Ego
- Rescue - $407 with free shipping
- Cap - $259.99 with free shipping

Sideshow
- Rescue - $407 + $25 shipping minus 5% rewards ($20.35) = $412
- Cap - $259 + $25 shipping minus 5% rewards ($12.95) = $271

Even after rewards, I can get Rescue for $29 less and Cap for $24 less ordering from another seller - add another $10 on top for double boxing. There are obviously some advantages ordering from Sideshow (e.g., receiving the item sooner, but when lead times are 18+ months, that doesn't really matter as much anymore to me).

Back