1/6 Hot Toys 1/6 Avengers: Endgame Capt America

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

Yeah what is it now with all these collectors trying to make a thing of being a professional poser.

Terry Smith seems like a cool dude and teaching posing at SS is all about marketing so I get that but all these professional posers on YT :slap

Although posing pete has some cool figure breaking poses lol

It's a sorely needed part of this community. Spanbauer says it best, but I will never understand taking a $250 mini person and making it look like a retail toy by smacking it T posed out with no attention to what these are.

Posing these figures, or any figures, is an art to itself. There are plenty of collectors out there with a huge appreciation for the detail and craftsmanship in these figures who buy them for that reason but can't pose them to save their lives and more or less pull it from the box and put it on the shelf, which is perfectly understandable. So I have huge respect for the individuals that take the time to make videos showing how to achieve some of the poses that they do.

Terry Smith is one of the best in the business for both achieving great poses but also capturing exactly how he did it on camera and his thinking along the way, plus "How to be Poser" is a hilarious video series name. Jedha Patrol will do these from time to time as well, like how to achieve the Iron Man superhero landing pose. Posing with Peter comes up with some of the best poses and if you're already skilled at posing figures it's great to reference but he doesn't really show how he did it.

I love Terry; I think he was, in essence the prototype for what a few of these good YouTube and Instagram channels have become.

I wish they'd let him loose on every release they do. I think it'd do wonders for people's displays, and it'd attract more attention. It's a shame that they only use him to sell the figures that won't move.

In any case, Spanbauer, you might want to check this thread out I made a while back. I like to bump it once in a while because it does give inspiration to those who roll through it. I'd hoped it'd offer some more tips and tricks in the long run, and a lot less low effort content, but I can't control that. There're some goodies though.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231074

It's a sorely needed part of this community. Spanbauer says it best, but I will never understand taking a $250 mini person and making it look like a retail toy by smacking it T posed out with no attention to what these are.

Many of HT figures can’t pose for ****

They literally took 2 of the most flexible superheros ever created, Spiderman and Black Panther, and wrapped them in super restrictive clothing.

They are meant to look super awesome in static vertical poses

Many of HT figures can?t pose for ****

They literally took 2 of the most flexible superheros ever created, Spiderman and Black Panther, and wrapped them in super restrictive clothing.

They are meant to look super awesome in static vertical poses
Sure. But they still CAN move. It might not be McFarlane illustration Spidey style, but they can be posed. There's no reason to make them stand there like they're getting wanded by the TSA. There are plenty of static, museum, or emotion based poses that don't require high kicks.

I love Terry; I think he was, in essence the prototype for what a few of these good YouTube and Instagram channels have become.

I wish they'd let him loose on every release they do. I think it'd do wonders for people's displays, and it'd attract more attention. It's a shame that they only use him to sell the figures that won't move.

In any case, Spanbauer, you might want to check this thread out I made a while back. I like to bump it once in a while because it does give inspiration to those who roll through it. I'd hoped it'd offer some more tips and tricks in the long run, and a lot less low effort content, but I can't control that. There're some goodies though.

Thanks for that link! Some great stuff in there for sure :rock

This guy totally understands subtle, realistic poses for Hot Toys, etc.

https://instagram.com/onesixth_photographer?igshid=62gvlqi4zth0

This guy is awesome and his photography makes the figures come to life even more. But like the people above are saying, it?s so odd seeing people buying these figures and just leaving them in the same pose the come with in the box. I understand people can be terrified of messing with the figures too much but all it takes is just slightly moving the arms downward, positioning the feet correctly, and having the head tilted or looking off to the side, etc and it just looks so much better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for starting that thread and for providing the link, it does provide inspiration!

Sure. But they still CAN move. It might not be McFarlane illustration Spidey style, but they can be posed. There's no reason to make them stand there like they're getting wanded by the TSA. There are plenty of static, museum, or emotion based poses that don't require high kicks.
Yep, and that's why guys like Terry bring so much value. Many of my figures are in very safe poses due to the limitations of their outfits, but I still put a lot of effort into trying to achieve a natural look--which I think is a huge improvement over a true museum pose.Terry provides lots of great instruction about how to achieve that.

That said, people can do what they want. If people want their collection to look like a hall of armour, power to them. To me, though, posing is absolutely essential and is why I buy action figures and not statues.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I can see why some collectors would rather protect their expensive collectibles with a vanilla vertical pose than risk damage just for a pose.

For many just owning the character is rewarding enough without the need to cause damage.

That is unless you have unlimited disposable income then by all means buy 3 of every HT and have at it lol

A simple fact is some dynamic poses are incompatible with stands and for me the stands are a must because I don't want shelf dives - particularly with something like an Iron Man figure where damage is virtually guaranteed if that happens - something will break off and/or the beautiful finish will get scratched and/or joints will shake loose and your figure could become wobbly like a ragdoll. With normal clothed figures there's less chance of damage but I still just don't like risking it.

With that in mind - for my own collection - as long as a pose looks natural I don't care if it's boring and static.

A simple fact is some dynamic poses are incompatible with stands and for me the stands are a must because I don't want shelf dives - particularly with something like an Iron Man figure where damage is virtually guaranteed if that happens - something will break off and/or the beautiful finish will get scratched and/or joints will shake loose and your figure could become wobbly like a ragdoll. With normal clothed figures there's less chance of damage but I still just don't like risking it.

With that in mind - for my own collection - as long as a pose looks natural I don't care if it's boring and static.

Yup and every figure is different and need to be treated accordingly obviously cloth material you can pose much more dynamically but the other materials you can?t and then the diecast or plastic figures have their own set of rules lol

I placed a lot of effort into making sure I have the right climate and environment for my figures especially for the ones with pleather.

Any word when sideshow is getting this in and will get starting to ship ..??

It was released in Hong Kong on February 1st, so if shipping times were typical, it'd be slated to show up at Sideshow any minute. Interestingly, advanced suit Spidey showed up in Hong Kong on February 19th and is slated to ship to me today or tomorrow so not sure how that happened. Fingers crossed Cap makes his way to me sooner than later.

It was released in Hong Kong on February 1st, so if shipping times were typical, it'd be slated to show up at Sideshow any minute. Interestingly, advanced suit Spidey showed up in Hong Kong on February 19th and is slated to ship to me today or tomorrow so not sure how that happened. Fingers crossed Cap makes his way to me sooner than later.

Hey thank you very much for the info good sir

Yeah, it looks like they swapped the NA releases of Spidey and Cap, but we should most likely be seeing a shipping notice for Cap any day now.

Back