Hot Toys – MMS272D08 – Iron Man 3: 1/6th scale Hot Rod (Mark XXII)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brief to film designers... generate 35 suit designs that will get between 5 and 45 seconds of screen time. Obviously they are going to re-use, repaint and mash up suit elements rather than creating 35 truly unique designs.

So you get the Iron Patriot chest star on the earlier 'prototype'... because they designed IP/WM then 'backfilled' a bunch of suits.

It's not lazy exactly... bit disappointing but pragmatic in terms of design effort vs benefit.

Unfortunately the re-use is very evident in these HT figures and MOST lack the character of the first seven suits.

The first seven suits are are just as guilty of rehash and kitbash syndrome. The mk2 and 3 are the exact same suit with different paint and the only difference between mk4 and 6 are the chest piece and some silver paint. People are just blinded by nostalgia and love for some things that they overlook its flaws but are quick to pick apart newer stuff that isn't as close to their heart. This doesn't just apply to iron man but really any property.

He's great for the completist, nice paint job but that's the trouble it's a repaint of a figure I have already so that knocks it of my want list, I want my Ironman display to have some variety and when it comes to Ironman less is definatly more, bring on Starboost and Bones

ShortBleakFantail.gif

The first seven suits are are just as guilty of rehash and kitbash syndrome. The mk2 and 3 are the exact same suit with different paint and the only difference between mk4 and 6 are the chest piece and some silver paint. People are just blinded by nostalgia and love for some things that they overlook its flaws but are quick to pick apart newer stuff that isn't as close to their heart. This doesn't just apply to iron man but really any property.

No the first seven suits (plus Iron Monger and War Machine) have authentic design lineage spanning three films. In other words the iterations make sense in the context of the story development. That's different to mass suit design pick and mix.

No the first seven suits (plus Iron Monger and War Machine) have authentic design lineage spanning three films. In other words the iterations make sense in the context of the story development. That's different to mass suit design pick and mix.

How is it different? If tony made that many suits of course he would reuse parts for upgrades with similar designs (just like mk2-mk3 and mk4-mk6), if anything you just proved that the newer 35 having similar parts is fine in the context of the story.

He's an eccentric, easily bored billionaire with time on his hands as his other half is running his empire..., I'd say it's true to say he looks for ways to constantly improve on his armour, let's face it..., his suits get damaged often enough. Anyway we could speculate all day, the suits are in the third film so that's all that matters to me really. :)

To make this conversation even nerdier... If you look at how designs naturally progress in cars I think you would see similarities. Look at corvettes or mustangs and for the most part year to year, they're the same looks-wise but if you look in ten year increments they're completely different.
That's the case with a good portion of the armors that despite the complaints, are movie accurate based on a designers evolution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is it different? If tony made that many suits of course he would reuse parts for upgrades with similar designs (just like mk2-mk3 and mk4-mk6), if anything you just proved that the newer 35 having similar parts is fine in the context of the story.

I'm clearly talking about the process of the film designers...not the fictional hero.

The transitions in Iron Man 1 from the cave suit to the alloy prototype to the first red suit (and Iron Monger in parallel) are more significant because they contribute to the narrative.

The transition from circular to triangular chestpiece in Iron Man 2 is significant to the issue of the toxic chest piece. The suitcase suit, War Machines evolution from the Mark II and even the Hammer drones are also critical to the narrative.

Many (not me) consider the Mark VII to be the pinnacle of Iron Man suit designs and it has a significant role in an ensemble cast.

The Iron Man 3 movie is certainly more about Tony Stark than the suits. They are far less significant individually and en masse. There are some cool suits and concepts but the reality is they are secondary to other aspects of the film. So hey lets add some flames to the WM/IP model and call it Hot Rod.

The point I made above was that when this legion of suits is painstakingly reproduced by Hot Toys the repetition becomes more apparent when they are displayed statically together, as opposed to flashing on and off screen in the movie.

All that said people can collect whatever they want and it's great that we Iron Man collectors have so much diversity of choice.

I'm clearly talking about the process of the film designers...not the fictional hero.

The transitions in Iron Man 1 from the cave suit to the alloy prototype to the first red suit (and Iron Monger in parallel) are more significant because they contribute to the narrative.

The transition from circular to triangular chestpiece in Iron Man 2 is significant to the issue of the toxic chest piece. The suitcase suit, War Machines evolution from the Mark II and even the Hammer drones are also critical to the narrative.

Many (not me) consider the Mark VII to be the pinnacle of Iron Man suit designs and it has a significant role in an ensemble cast.

The Iron Man 3 movie is certainly more about Tony Stark than the suits. They are far less significant individually and en masse. There are some cool suits and concepts but the reality is they are secondary to other aspects of the film. So hey lets add some flames to the WM/IP model and call it Hot Rod.

The point I made above was that when this legion of suits is painstakingly reproduced by Hot Toys the repetition becomes more apparent when they are displayed statically together, as opposed to flashing on and off screen in the movie.

All that said people can collect whatever they want and it's great that we Iron Man collectors have so much diversity of choice.

Fair point, but the significant role of all those suits in Iron Man 3 is that without an army of hi-tech armors, Stark would have had his butt kicked by Aldrich Killian and his Extremis army.. yet using basic drones would have made Stark look exactly like Justin Hammer.. so I think the story arc about armor R&D, with Stark becoming obsessive about trying to have different armors to combat any scenario and being able to summon them to his location, after his experience in the Avengers, is valid.. and essential to the story.

I agree that the diversity of choice is great for collectors and I do not intend to collect them all, just the ones I like the design of.

All valid points & I'm liking reading peoples take on the movies & suits. :) So far for me I can say every time Hot Toys has shown us an Iron Man suit my initial response has been 'I want that!' I haven't bought them all though & didn't buy any suits for quite some time..., all bar 1 of my figures are from Iron Man 3, I'd like to think that I'll buy every suit from all of the movies (if they make them all) but I know my budget won't allow for that really, I do find the diecast figures more appealing than the plastic ones though so they'll take priority for me when I'm assessing if I'm going to be getting each suit or not, in Hot Rod's case I like the paint effect, it looks pretty cool & as it's a diecast figure that gives this suit an extra selling point (for me). :)

I'm those completist type of collecter that if I decided to collect a certain line I want them all. I recently started collecting Iron Man as soon as the Mark 3 Diecast came up for order. I figured, to save myself some cash I'll only collect the diecast line since I suspected they'll only make main armors. First armor being Iron Patriot, than the 42, still haven't decided if I want to get the Mark 2 War Machine and Few miles done the road we get a 3rd War Machine! I'm just coming out of the SS clone line after I got tired of repaints just to jump into another line of repaints. lol :slap
This should of been done in plastic like the rest so I wouldn't have to decide if I want or not. I'll most likely end up picking it up at the end just to sell it for a pretty penny or two. I would of prefered something more original like a Mark 8-10 as an EX.

I'm pretty excited for this one and I hope blue steel comes quickly. I personally like the look of the suits a lot. I find when I see pics of people's collection, most times I really enjoy what I see.
The armours seem to look good by themselves or as a group. I like the different color schemes coming out also.
To me the iron man line is more interesting from a display point of view compared to stormtroopers, predators or terminators.
But that's my point, we all collect for different reasons which is why I love this hobby. I may not buy a predator or terminator but I do love seeing them in other peoples collections as I hope people will love seeing my iron man collection.
Personally this year I think has been great as a collector and I feel Hot Toys really are starting to cater for everyone. We may not be getting X-men figures but I believe there is something behind the scenes stopping them. Not hot toys or iron man or any other line to be honest.

it is a great time to be a collector. HT is producing a bunch of cool pieces. Not happy about all the price increase but not much one can do but pay the piper.

Everyone that sees my collection is enamoured with the iron man suits and hall of armor. I get some comments for the Nolan stuff, but the suits when all together are amazing on display and receive the most raves from my friends.

This is every armor Mark released sans Peacekeeper, HB and now Gemini(Starboost, whatevers LoL). Not all that many unique versions considering from back to 2008. It's the v2s and variants from the IM line that draws angst which can be a valid complaint as well. However I can't wait to get the recently released suits and soon Hot Rod. With each new one, a color pilate is added like a brush stroke to an art canvas. Love my Legion.

it is a great time to be a collector. HT is producing a bunch of cool pieces. Not happy about all the price increase but not much one can do but pay the piper.

Everyone that sees my collection is enamoured with the iron man suits and hall of armor. I get some comments for the Nolan stuff, but the suits when all together are amazing on display and receive the most raves from my friends.

This is every armor Mark released sans Peacekeeper, HB and now Gemini(Starboost, whatevers LoL). Not all that many unique versions considering from back to 2008. It's the v2s and variants from the IM line that draws angst which can be a valid complaint as well. However I can't wait to get the recently released suits and soon Hot Rod. With each new one, a color pilate is added like a brush stroke to an art canvas. Love my Legion.

That looks incredible man!

Not a huge IM fan like yourself but I can respect how nice and clean your collection looks!

really puts all those "poor" collectors to shame, stuffing all those master pieces 3 to a shelf...

seriously though looks awesome

Back