Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a question ... exactly how widespread was the rubber deterioration problem on this figure?

Am I the only one on these boards who really had the dome crack all to hell? I ask because I've repeatedly seen folks posting that they either treated their ED early enough to avoid problems or that they never had any problems in the first place.

Could the rubber deterioration actually be more anecdotal and isolated than we think? Is it possible the problem has been overstated?

Don't get me wrong. I'm still SUPER-pissed about what happened to mine. It never should have happened.

I just wonder about the real numbers of verifiable incidents.

The cracks happened to mine almost immediately. I used Mod Podge to fill the cracks and seal the rubber. It worked like a champ and has held up since.
Here is the link:
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...ms204-1-6th-scale-ed-209-collectible-383.html
or you can jump to page 383.

Go to Universal Studios in LA. The shop there has an ED209 and the dome had pretty much gone. It's in a display case too. Not sure any of the staff noticed. Needless to say they had a lot of them in stock. I sold mine after a few months. No dome cracking but signs of cracking on the arms and the legs.

If anyone is still looking for one of these, BBTS has them in "sub-standard" packaging at a pretty good discount. Mine came in yesterday, and the dome looks fine, no cracking. I'm not sure what made it "sub-standard," as the packaging all looked fine to me. A small dent in the HT shipper, but nothing wrong with the inner box at all.

It does have a strong chemical smell, and is pretty sticky though. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Is the recommended treatment silicone then Mod Podge, or just one or the other? I've tried to read through this thread as best as I can, but there's a lot to read!

Thanks,
Kevin

If anyone is still looking for one of these, BBTS has them in "sub-standard" packaging at a pretty good discount. Mine came in yesterday, and the dome looks fine, no cracking. I'm not sure what made it "sub-standard," as the packaging all looked fine to me. A small dent in the HT shipper, but nothing wrong with the inner box at all.

It does have a strong chemical smell, and is pretty sticky though. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Is the recommended treatment silicone then Mod Podge, or just one or the other? I've tried to read through this thread as best as I can, but there's a lot to read!

Thanks,
Kevin

dome sticky already? it must've come from a previous owner.lolz

if the dome is still intact, no breakage/tear. use either honda grease or german gummi phledge, stick to only one.
if it has signs of breakage/tear even minor ones, modge podge the hell out of it.

I'm waiting for Sideshow to sell the remaining ED-209s as a "battle-damaged" edition...

ED-209: Losing the battle against rot since 2006.

Hot Toys: Winning the battle against collectors since ... well, about that same time.

(When I look at my cracked ED, I turn into the emotionally battle-damaged version of me. :lol)

Thanks,
Kevin

Mine came out of the box slightly "tacky".

I use silicone oil on mine, but it's your choice. The two are mutially exclusive though.

You can add my ED to the list of ROT. Took about 6 months from time of purchase to noticing the cracks all over the dome. Displayed in my office, cool and dark, no sunlight. I did the Mod Podge treatment and it looks great. I did notice the rubber boot joints also cracking, so that's next. Unbelievable. :gah:

Can the joints be Mod Podged, too? Or does Mod Podge harden when it dries?

(Mine's dome's cracked pretty badly at this point. I may try Mod Podging just for the hell of it. Can't make it any worse.)

Can the joints be Mod Podged, too? Or does Mod Podge harden when it dries?

(Mine's dome's cracked pretty badly at this point. I may try Mod Podging just for the hell of it. Can't make it any worse.)

Mod Podge will help fill the cracks. It is surprisingly flexible, but too much strain will begin to stress the coating. I have all the rubber on mine MP'd. I don't put him in any thing more than a standard pose. He is holding up excellently.

Took a look at the ED in forbidden planet london a short while back and its cracking all over the dome. Its in a display case directly under LED lighting. My own ED (purcashed from the same store last march) has no sign of cracks at all.

Back