Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I look forward to seeing this in person. I have seen the first version and I was already impressed by it.

Anyway, now that we know that HT's making a 1/6 Rhino from ASM2, I think us Robo-fans can start reminding HT that we need a 1/6 CAIN.

I'm glad I missed out on the old version, and I'm getting the new any day now - but I'm curious: Judging by the photos, it looks like there was no sliding action for the metal ankle extenders. It looks like they are permanently in the 'short' position. Was that the case? If so, we are lucky to be getting FULL ankle-sliding this time around.

Another thing: In addition to producing solid resin domes, I might have to produce some decals to share. I have found some missing decals on the new version, if the production photos are accurate and HT hasn't added them already. On the tops of the little 'wings', there is supposed to be a small decal on both sides. It seems to match a decal that appears on the side of the head, near the edge of the dome. I think it's the same image as on the side of the head. (right-click, 'view image' so see full size)

ED-209HD9_zps22600d59.jpg~original.jpg

I'll need to get the thing in hand so I'll know if the two decals are missing, and if they are I'll be able to create photoshop images and have them printed as water-slide decals. I do know they are missing in the current sale photos as shown.
Also, if you look at the top center of the head, you'll notice two redish areas. This might be painted rust, but it seems more likely they are matching decals too, just damaged and torn from age. I wish I could find some better close-ups of the original model...

Judging by the photos, it looks like there was no sliding action for the metal ankle extenders. It looks like they are permanently in the 'short' position. Was that the case?

I have found some missing decals on the new version, if the production photos are accurate and HT hasn't added them already. On the tops of the little 'wings', there is supposed to be a small decal on both sides. It seems to match a decal that appears on the side of the head, near the edge of the dome. I think it's the same image as on the side of the head. (right-click, 'view image' so see full size)

I wish I could find some better close-ups of the original model...

The leg rail mechanisms on the V1 ED are permanently in the locked position, they don't move like the V2.

There aren't supposed to be decals on the armored wings and there's already decals present in the other areas you indicated.

Try watching the part of the movie where ED falls down the stairs.

I haven't done this but could you put 2 detolfs together and remove the 2 inside glass walls where they would touch?

you could do this... just have to modify them a bit... but seen it done and it looks cool... just gotta move crap around in my bedroom to accomplish it... and you know how the boss is w/ change!!! lol and as i'm limited to bedroom only for "toys" as she puts it... have to work w/ limited space!

Hey guys any idea how to remove the legs?
I need to store it back and its look like once its clicked no removable possible.
Hair dryer?

I'm glad I missed out on the old version, and I'm getting the new any day now - but I'm curious: Judging by the photos, it looks like there was no sliding action for the metal ankle extenders. It looks like they are permanently in the 'short' position. Was that the case? If so, we are lucky to be getting FULL ankle-sliding this time around.

Another thing: In addition to producing solid resin domes, I might have to produce some decals to share. I have found some missing decals on the new version, if the production photos are accurate and HT hasn't added them already. On the tops of the little 'wings', there is supposed to be a small decal on both sides. It seems to match a decal that appears on the side of the head, near the edge of the dome. I think it's the same image as on the side of the head. (right-click, 'view image' so see full size)

View attachment 105807

I'll need to get the thing in hand so I'll know if the two decals are missing, and if they are I'll be able to create photoshop images and have them printed as water-slide decals. I do know they are missing in the current sale photos as shown.
Also, if you look at the top center of the head, you'll notice two redish areas. This might be painted rust, but it seems more likely they are matching decals too, just damaged and torn from age. I wish I could find some better close-ups of the original model...

The reddish area on top the torso were two red stickers on the old Ed.
I peeled 'em off since a figure shouldn't need stickers!

The leg rail mechanisms on the V1 ED are permanently in the locked position, they don't move like the V2.

There aren't supposed to be decals on the armored wings and there's already decals present in the other areas you indicated.

Try watching the part of the movie where ED falls down the stairs.
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about the leg rails. Now I'm REALLY glad I missed the first one.
About the decals: The photo of the new ED-209 on the left, shows two red arrows; the left arrow indicates the present decal that should also be on the wing, and on the right arrow shows where another like decal should be- according to the photo on the right, which is the actual animation model. There are several possible explanations... maybe the decal was so small, they just didn't register on film given the lighting... or perhaps there were more than one animation model, with differences between them...

It could really be the differences Phil Tippet pointed out in the making of ED.
He said that the full scale model, Stop Motion puppet and full scale MOVABLE model were different.
Especially on the stop motion puppet and the full scale model in the introduction scene we saw a difference in the overall from of the dome.
SM: more flat. FS: a bit rounder.
So there certainly are differences, but HT not providing them is, by then, no mistake when accounting those facts.

Yeah, right.
And I just watched the sequence, here guys:

Full scale: Flat, more rounded.
Stop Motion: Pointier and different radius on top.

Last edited:
After having the fig and going back and watching the ed209 moments of the movie, it is really like having a movie model of my own
Ht really knocked it out of the part with ed
I'm getting another member to make a poster backdrop of the office to display in my cabinet

Ready for robo

Yeah, I'm finding all kinds of minor differences not just between life-size and animation models, but also between different animation models. I found a nice looking I.D. code logo on the life-size gun arm, which I think I'll print and add to my HT... I had to make an educated guess about part of it, because it's partially obscured- but it looks right to me. (I'll print it with a different font)
vlcsnap-2014-04-25-12h33m37s95.jpg

Back