Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm. Batches for this one too?
Anyhow, last flex is on the 25th. I received my email saying that it ships on the 29th.

Go flexers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine from SSC today. They confirmed regular processing will be in about a week or so.

I am fairly disappointed in the voice. It definitely isn't accurate. The sound effects sound right. Especially since it sounds like there is "some" screaming that overlaps the shooting sounds. That suggests it's taken from the movie. The voice though isn't. It's slurred and slower. Plus when counting down from 5 to 1. He pauses when going from 2 to 1. In the film, he doesn't do that. It's a consistent countdown speed. As you'd expect from a machine. This figure doesn't have that

https://m.facebook.com/groups/246712868685361?view=permalink&id=725567394133237

Got mine from SSC today. They confirmed regular processing will be in about a week or so.

I am fairly disappointed in the voice. It definitely isn't accurate. The sound effects sound right. Especially since it sounds like there is "some" screaming that overlaps the shooting sounds. That suggests it's taken from the movie. The voice though isn't. It's slurred and slower. Plus when counting down from 5 to 1. He pauses when going from 2 to 1. In the film, he doesn't do that. It's a consistent countdown speed. As you'd expect from a machine. This figure doesn't have that

https://m.facebook.com/groups/246712868685361?view=permalink&id=725567394133237

The pause is worse than the voice over, I hope they don't f up robo too

There's a slight pause before ED says 1 in the movie.

https://youtu.be/A9l9wxGFl4k

The voiceover isn't from the movie, but it's perfectly understandable why they went the route they did.

It's nowhere near as bad as some say.

They used great speakers that project the sound effects loud and clear.

Would have been a nice feature if they added some flashing LEDs in the guns to go along with the FX.

With all that said, it's still EASILY the best ED available for the money.

It leaves the unintelligible garble that pours out of the NECA ED for dead.

While disappointing, I am much less concerned about the sound, and happy that with all the things Hot Toys could messed up, that it was the sound and not the sculpt or paint. For me at least, I not going to be "playing" with him, but rather putting him behind glass.

Optibotimus, I look forward to your review!

You may not like the voiceover, but wait till you hear how good it sounds when you get it.

You may not like the voiceover, but wait till you hear how good it sounds when you get it.

Cool, is it deep, I love that deep sounding Ed voice.
And I don't think its that bad, though I hate where they cut one sound effect short, so unnecessary.
Anyone know when OSB will get these, I preordered with him.

I'll bet there are legal reasons they didn't use the original voice from the movie for ED. Probably didn't get the rights from whoever the actor was who recorded those lines back in the day. (Or they didn't want to pay him.) Nowadays every single possible marketing contingency is covered in contracts for big movies. But back then, nobody ever dreamed they'd need to cover the right to use their vocal performance almost 30 years later for a collectible from a hard-R rated movie!

That's my guess as to why they can use the sound effects but not the voice. I wouldn't worry about Weller's Robo figure, though. If they paid to use his likeness, chances are that also covers his voice.

I'll bet there are legal reasons they didn't use the original voice from the movie for ED. Probably didn't get the rights from whoever the actor was who recorded those lines back in the day. (Or they didn't want to pay him.) Nowadays every single possible marketing contingency is covered in contracts for big movies. But back then, nobody ever dreamed they'd need to cover the right to use their vocal performance almost 30 years later for a collectible from a hard-R rated movie!

That's my guess as to why they can use the sound effects but not the voice. I wouldn't worry about Weller's Robo figure, though. If they paid to use his likeness, chances are that also covers his voice.

Nah, if NECA can use the original voice Hot Toys could have aswell. My theory is they couldn't isolate one of the lines from all the background noise in the scene and rather than just dropping that line entirely like NECA did they were determined to use it. So they redubbed it, and for consistency sake, redubbed the rest of ED's lines aswell. Bad decision IMO.

Last edited:
Maybe so.

Though, you're right. Definitely an unfortunate decision, no matter what prompted it.

It's especially irksome because the movie was totally remastered for the Blu-ray very recently. I'm sure, for a price, the studio could easily have e-mailed them the isolated sound files. Maybe HT just didn't want to pay for it?

But like others have said, if they had to cut a corner, I'm okay with it being this one. I'm far more interested in how the figure looks.

Nah, if NECA can use the original voice Hot Toys could have aswell. My theory is they couldn't isolate one of the lines from all the background noise in the scene and rather than just dropping that line entirely like NECA did they were determined to use it. So they redubbed it, and for consistency sake, redubbed the rest of ED's lines aswell. Bad decision IMO.

Sounds right, but I also wonder if NECA got approval because they are a US company? Or they got the rights to it and HT didn't?

"The ominous voice emanating from ED 209 is actually that of executive producer Jon Davison."

Sounds right, but I also wonder if NECA got approval because they are a US company? Or they got the rights to it and HT didn't?

"The ominous voice emanating from ED 209 is actually that of executive producer Jon Davison."

Yes or even employed an American actor. Hey maybe they prefer it with an Asian voice :rotfl

Back