Hot Toys – MMS204 - The 1/6th scale ED-209 Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics after 2nd application of silicone grease
be650c68ddd3abbbbec67d2c34a38d71.jpg

0dec47469f6efcf0fc779d50362c2125.jpg

287bc1dab6a29ae9c1472a10008f44ee.jpg

I think it's probably just that they skilfully distracted us with shiny new stuff at SDCC and then we just resigned ourselves to having taken the shaft again from Hot Toys. Degradable material is degradable material. I doubt anyone got special impervious EDs.

A couple of people have had theirs from OSB now, so hopefully won't be too long until I get mine. Just hoping I don't get notice that it's in while I'm away at the beginning of Oct.

I think it's probably just that they skilfully distracted us with shiny new stuff at SDCC and then we just resigned ourselves to having taken the shaft again from Hot Toys. Degradable material is degradable material. I doubt anyone got special impervious EDs.

How's yours holding up, adev? Have you used any product to protect your dome?

I expected more pics of rotting domes but haven't seen anymore since the initial exposure
I'm wondering if
A) the grease/modge somehow delayed/prevented the cracking
b) it was really a batch issue, faulty rubber on those specific eds
C) there hasn't been any new reports since ed hasn't been selling well after the news

Either way, I expected a consistent stream of new ed issues that haven't materialized

Thanks for posting pics. Your dome pretty much looks perfect. I really want the new Robocop, but can't see myself having him without ED209. Now Im kind of hesitant to commit to either figure since Im not sure I want to take the risk and pick up ED209 only to have him deteriorate.

I expected more pics of rotting domes but haven't seen anymore since the initial exposure
I'm wondering if
C) there hasn't been any new reports since ed hasn't been selling well after the news

Either way, I expected a consistent stream of new ed issues that haven't materialized

There won´t be any new reports.
It´s the rubber, HT said "return it or leave it be", something with that sense and that´s about it.

I have my second 8 weeks now, applied liqui molly rubber care and he looks great, no cracking.
Will apply all few weeks and then I have my ED good.
:)

Is this a general product wide issue or just a small batch that have the rubber dome problem? If it's an isolated issue and if it continues to reduce in price I may have to get one because aside from the crappy voice function it looks superb.

Is this a general product wide issue or just a small batch that have the rubber dome problem? If it's an isolated issue and if it continues to reduce in price I may have to get one because aside from the crappy voice function it looks superb.

No one knows.
My retailer meant it would be a general problem since my first ED was from batch 1 and my second was from the last batch that was produced.
Both of them were returned since they cracked.

No one knows.
My retailer meant it would be a general problem since my first ED was from batch 1 and my second was from the last batch that was produced.
Both of them were returned since they cracked.

Hmmm, that would suggest a product wide problem then. Such a shame. How did HT get this piece so right yet so wrong with the botched voice and rubber? Is this common practice for them?

I'm wondering if

I followed in the beginning but lost track of this thread 100 pages ago. I have mine for over 3 months and he's been holding up fine; I don't even have him displayed behind glass. I use air-cans to clean him up and I use the Scotch lint tape roller to clean the dome (the dome lost that tackiness like when it was new but no issues).

I've been wondering if the bad reports were rampant and constant or if the whole hysteria was built on a handful of bad cases, and not enough people without problems chiming in to say they have a good one. I want to catch up and see how this all unfolded but just skimming thru the last few pages, it seems that there may be way more people out there without issues then with but only the ones who have problems are posting

I followed in the beginning but lost track of this thread 100 pages ago. I have mine for over 3 months and he's been holding up fine; I don't even have him displayed behind glass. I use air-cans to clean him up and I use the Scotch lint tape roller to clean the dome (the dome lost that tackiness like when it was new but no issues).

I've been wondering if the bad reports were rampant and constant or if the whole hysteria was built on a handful of bad cases, and not enough people without problems chiming in to say they have a good one. I want to catch up and see how this all unfolded but just skimming thru the last few pages, it seems that there may be way more people out there without issues then with but only the ones who have problems are posting

That may be.
All I can say is that I got teo ED209s and BOTH started to rot away.

Climate? Come on, all my Batmen, Hellboy and Dutch have no probs at all.

Hot Toys handled it the worst kind possible; they just pulled out defective figures. No communication with us at all... :/

But to be honest: given all my problems with that figure I don't really need it.
I just hope for Robo to be fine.

Not sure how wide spread this is but I think there are just as many guys saying they don't have a problem as guys saying they do. I never had any issues with mine but took precautions by using the Honda goose grease. I used it on the dome and arms but didn't put it on the neck and leg rubbers yet but neither the treated areas nor the untreated areas are displaying any problems. :huh

I got away with it for a few years on my old ED-209 while others were posting pics of cracked domes - but sure enough it did start deteriorating eventually. So it's not surprising that some are showing it now while others have nothing to report.

its the inconsistent rate of rot thats confusing
you have some rotting within a month of purchase and some still look as good as new(coming up to 4 months now)
is it extreme climates that make the rot so much quicker? I did/would have expected all to rot fairly quickly

did the old ed rot within a month of purchase?

its the inconsistent rate of rot thats confusing
you have some rotting within a month of purchase and some still look as good as new(coming up to 4 months now)
is it extreme climates that make the rot so much quicker? I did/would have expected all to rot fairly quickly

I live in Germany.
No special climate here... No other figs I own have that problem.
Not even Leonidas, who consists only of rubber, had that problem.
I am sure it's low low loooooooooow quality rubber.

I live in Germany.
No special climate here... No other figs I own have that problem.
Not even Leonidas, who consists only of rubber, had that problem.
I am sure it's low low loooooooooow quality rubber.
then why arent mine and others rotting at the same rate?
once we heard there was a rotting issue, I was 100% confident that mine was next and there was nothing i could do about it(except try to prolong it)
we have members here who did nothing to their ed, and its still good, we also have members who applied something and theirs are still good

the lack of rotting really makes me wonder if it could possible be a batch issue.i know thats something i hope is true but the inconsistency is puzzeling
maybe im not giving it enough time

Hmm... It could be that they got the rubber parts from different manufacturers.

My first ED had a rotting dome and joint sleeves within six weeks, the second hat rotting sleeves after like six weeks but a good dome.

Probably one manufacturer ****ed up the parts...

I don't know.
Only thing i know is that I am not living in the really well known german jungle oder the also well known german desert with their climatic extremes. ;)

Back