Hot Toys – MMS202D04 - 1/6th scale RoboCop Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have aoshima apc 02 and aoshima dropship 01 & 02.
they are die-cast.
i don't know their age, but i have them for several years now, and they don't rust/rot/deteriorate.
i have seen many photos of same items and they don't rust/rot/deteriorate.
why is that so and could HT use the same metal?

And suppose the bd one has sound too what then :lol
:gah: :gah: :gah: :lol

Honestly? I probably won't buy it, because if it has sound, it'll probably be a die-cast figure too (just assuming of course), & I just don't have the money for $300 & up figures anymore.

That said - I'll be extremely disappointed. 2.0 Murphy could be different though, so we'll see I guess.. :pray:

I have one of those dropships, as well, also in factory fresh condition.

Model cars are diecast, too.

What causes rot is a poor quality mix of metal reacting to the air or to certain types of wood.

(I've had lead figures from the 1970s and 1980s that developed lead rot, turned blue-black, developed white barnacles and flaked away to dust).

If the mix is right then the object should survive, as many diecast cars have survived.

I have German Torpedo Boat and U-Boat badges made from zinc and still in excellent condition seventy years on.

I also have zinc coins from the same period which are rotting. Presumably because the badges were made to a higher standard than the cheap wartime economy coins.

Hopefully Hot Toys won't go for economy!
thanks for the lection.
because i have already became very worried about my robocops turning into super battle damaged robocops in five years. i don't expect to quit collectioning in five years )

Since I discovered rot in my lead figures I've become paranoid about rot - both in metals and fabrics. As such I've avoided any rubber-suited Hot Toys.

I worry about things like the rubbery PVC bodies on some of my figures, Indy's faux leather jacket, Boba Fett's vest, Planet of the Apes tunics, Predator dreadlocks!

I've ordered the HT Hulk on the assumption that the PVC will last, and won't be bending his arms or fingers.

And I hope Robocop is high quality diecast - would have preferred plastic but people seem to associate metal and heavy weight with quality.

I just want my toys to outlive me!

Man, you're not the only one. We all know that nothing really lasts forever, but of course we want our high-end collectibles to last long.

The funny thing is that these being high-end should not leave us worried at all -- I have cheap toys 25 years and older made of rubber, vinyl, plastic, and cloth that have not even shown signs of aging/cracking/rotting -- and they never even got the same pampering my Hot Toys are enjoying! :lol

Man, you're not the only one. We all know that nothing really lasts forever, but of course we want our high-end collectibles to last long.

The funny thing is that these being high-end should not leave us worried at all -- I have cheap toys 25 years and older made of rubber, vinyl, plastic, and cloth that have not even shown signs of aging/cracking/rotting -- and they never even got the same pampering my Hot Toys are enjoying! :lol

I totally agree with u there. My old Marfaclane figures have survived 10 years with no dusting even after leaving them in a glass display for so long.

Taking care of our Hot Toys figure is becoming even more difficult than taking care of a baby!!:rotfl

I totally agree with u there. My old Marfaclane figures have survived 10 years with no dusting even after leaving them in a glass display for so long.

Taking care of our Hot Toys figure is becoming even more difficult than taking care of a baby!!:rotfl

LOL Tell me about it! My good aunt (bless her soul) bought me this back in 1989 -- an 11" hollow rubber figure from a local fastfood joint which tied up a promo with the Burton film -- for $2! This photo's very recent and still, no cracks at all, no sticky paint, oil leaking, etc while I never had it dusted and was kept in a room at our old house that got very humid most of the time.

2013-02-16094031_zps9c6cec95.jpg

Sorry for an OT photo.

^ That's based on the 'Hamilton Gifts' rotocast 14" Batman figure. WB also had them in their theme park stores I believe..

The original version is painted blue / grey - it's basically the Neal Adams Batman - I've got one, & it's one of my fave Batman things. :)

You're right too, they're pretty hardy - with the exception of a slight amount of surface oil that nees to be wiped off every now & then. It's just the plastic breaking down actually.. :monkey1 :lol

^ That's based on the 'Hamilton Gifts' rotocast 14" Batman figure. WB also had them in their theme park stores I believe..

The original version is painted blue / grey - it's basically the Neal Adams Batman - I've got one, & it's one of my fave Batman things. :)

You're right too, they're pretty hardy - with the exception of a slight amount of surface oil that nees to be wiped off every now & then. It's just the plastic breaking down actually.. :monkey1 :lol

Oh yeah! I know what you're talking about -- I saw the classic blue/grey version at a toy shop then, and thought it was more expensive so I spent my money on some Joes instead (or some Visionaries figures, after saving a couple months worth of lunch allowance in Grade School LOL) :)

Mine's only problem is that it can no longer stand on its own as the legs have somehow gone warped perhaps due to being stored in a cramped box.

I also have a few die-cast figures (BIONIC 6) that have no issues save for paint chips due to play and falling of the shelves. If HT Robocop could at least equal that in 20 years time, I'd be very happy.

I've had my rotocast Batman since 1995 - it was a gift from one of my best mates - it's almost new. :)

I'll post a pic for you tomorrow dude, via PM. :hi5:

I really don't think people need to worry. Collecting has changed and the quality has gotten far better even in rubber since even a couple of years ago.

You've got less to worry about with die-cast than you have with rubber. I'm sure in 2013 and at $300+ they know how to mix the materials properly so they don't rot. This is not an old coin that's 70 years old

And if this regular version is die-cast you can bet your boots the BD version will also be die-cast.

:lol

If it's gonna be a struggle man just save a little bit at a time, that way by the times it's finally out you'll def be able to get one.

I know it's a stretch but having one of the 2 is a must!

Seriously mate, I've got NO disposable income right now.

I'm only just going to scrape in with the DX13 Arnold.. & then there's the other stuff I want.

It sucks, but I have to sit tight & be patient for the next few months at least. :)

that sucks man, but be strong brother! :hi5:

I'm only just going to scrape in with the DX13 Arnold.. & then there's the other stuff I want.

It sucks, but I have to sit tight & be patient for the next few months at least. :)

Hang in there man. At least you got ur head on your shoulder. I am also trying to restrain a lot. There is just too much stuff coming along and my agony is that i may end up cancelling some and pay nrd... A least on robo and ed. Way too expensive.

Btw... Vintij, how many figures you have in your collection? May be u cld sell some and try getting newer ones. I am also trying to find a balance and hence the question.

Back