Hobbit News, very interesting

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOTRSWfan

Super Freak
Reaction score
MGM's Sands on The Hobbit
Source: The Hollywood Reporter
October 25, 2006

Sands is in talks with New Line Cinema to get the rights to produce two prequel films to "The Lord of the Rings" series, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," he said.

TWO movies. Looks like they will be splitting up The Hobbit. Interesting me thinks.

I think two films would be better anyway. If it gives more story, great.

I originally thought the split hobbit idea was dumb but after hearing Jackson talk about how he would include some things like the White Council and some other stuff I think it could be a very promising idea.... with PJ's involvement of course.

If PJ directs, and wants to make two movies that are the quality of the LOTR Trilogy, I'm all for it.

a777.gif

I have to give PJ the benefit of the doubt and hope that he wouldn't agree to something like this just to make more money, which is certainly what the studio is thinking. If he didn't have a reason to split it into two films due to creative/story needs, then I would hope he wouldn't do it. But I know that he liked to show things in the LOTR films that were only mentioned or hinted at in the book. (For example, in the book the heroes arrive at Isengard after it has been destroyed by the ents--Tolkien didn't actually show us the attack, just the aftermath.) I just don't know how they could get into the White Council and the attack on Dul Guldur without overshadowing Bilbo's adventure.

tomandshell said:
I have to give PJ the benefit of the doubt and hope that he wouldn't agree to something like this just to make more money, which is certainly what the studio is thinking. If he didn't have a reason to split it into two films due to creative/story needs, then I would hope he wouldn't do it. But I know that he liked to show things in the LOTR films that were only mentioned or hinted at in the book. (For example, in the book the heroes arrive at Isengard after it has been destroyed by the ents--Tolkien didn't actually show us the attack, just the aftermath.) I just don't know how they could get into the White Council and the attack on Dul Guldur without overshadowing Bilbo's adventure.

I agree. I think one movie is still the best route but if PJ feels he can do it and not hurt the heart of the story then I would possibly be ok.

Did I miss sonething? Nowhere in that news does it say PJ is in yet . . .

LOTRSWfan said:
...Sands is in talks with New Line Cinema to get the rights to produce two prequel films to "The Lord of the Rings" series, based on J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit," he said....

Call me sentimental but I would prefer Newline to get the North American distribution rights from MGM rather than the other way around. But I'd also like PJ to direct, Weta to do the effects and Howard Shore to do the score but what are the odds of that?

Fritz said:
Call me sentimental but I would prefer Newline to get the North American distribution rights from MGM rather than the other way around. But I'd also like PJ to direct, Weta to do the effects and Howard Shore to do the score but what are the odds of that?

The original "gang" huh?? Hopefully there are many more people who think like us...

Perhaps a stupid question, is the site for Hobbiton still around... I know they have taken down Edoras, but how about other sites.. they are going to do it all over again??

I could be wrong, but from what I heard, the Hobbiton site was not torn down. Perhaps PJ was thinking far ahead on this and realized that The Hobbit is basically a shoe-in . . .

It wasn't torn down, it was packed up! PJ has it all underwraps. I could be available to help in the unwrapping, if necessary!

We got confirmation last month that MGM have officially begun talks with PJ. It's certainly all in the extremely preliminary stages, but at least it's something:

"Dear organizers of The Hobbit Petition:

We would like to give you the official statement from MGM. Feel free to pass this along to your members and affiliated web sites. Thank you and please see below:

"Peter Jackson's phenomenal success with The Lord of the Rings trilogy makes him the first and most ideal choice for directing The Hobbit," said MGM. "MGM would be thrilled to collaborate with the Academy Award-winning director on this MGM New Line Cinema production. And, I'm sure to the delight of the 50,000 filmgoers who have petitioned us in recent weeks, demanding we bring this film to fruition, we have had a few initial conversations about the project with Mr. Jackson's representatives."

Best regards,

Theo Dumont
Manager of Public Relations
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc."

Now we just need the conversation to move from "his representatives" to PJ himself.

Radagaster said:
I could be wrong, but from what I heard, the Hobbiton site was not torn down. Perhaps PJ was thinking far ahead on this and realized that The Hobbit is basically a shoe-in . . .

Wasn't Bag Ends dismantled and rebuilt on PJ's "estate"? I've got a pic at the office computer of his estate. I'll post tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Since its one book I'd prefer one movie, just like PJ did with each of the previous LOTR books/films. I think a 3+ hour theatrical and 4+ hour extended edition would do fine.

Back