HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a great interview with Emilia Clarke where she voices some disappointment with the direction that her character took...she does not once suggest that it is bad writing but expresses that it disappointed her because of her closeness to the character and her desire to play a character who is universally loved. Makes sense. She then punctuates her criticism by saying - but who am I to question the geniuses who have been creating this for 8 years. Also makes sense. G.R.R. Martin created it...but Weiss & Benioff saw how to bring it to life on the screen and fought to get a network to support their vision. Martin did not do that part. Let's be fair, the millions who love the show were not book fans who will now never get to see the books brought to the screen differently...that was a small minority. No one has to like the last season or two of the show...people should feel free to hate it...but to dump on the guys that created the SHOW and wrote almost all 71 episodes themselves is the height of entitled internet nerd rage. Especially when you throw in the idiotic petition to re-do season 8 with new writers. The only thing that Internet nerd loves more than passionately loving some movie or TV show is passionately hating the same movie or TV show...it must be exhausting.

F802FE92-9FC5-4591-A3DA-F4A7932CD37E.jpegBD0995F7-BDBC-4328-AC87-E90ADD8B3777.jpeg

I like that idea.

Besides, how could Jon be King after murdering Dani? Claim or no claim, it simply continues the wheel.

At least Dani did accomplish that; she broke the wheel.

All through out lore and probably history someone has become a ruler because they killed their predecessor. The word "usurper" means that very thing.

Could do a lot of critiquing and nitpicking of course, but the one thing that stands out for me is why Jon was allowed to live by Dany's fanatical followers after she died.

I can't imagine the Dothraki Berserkers and the Unsullied Killing Machine were all "Yeah, let's stick him in a cell and convene a meeting".

This is what puzzled me, I can suspend my disbelief over the fact that the Dragon didn't roast him alive but Greyworm was slitting the throats of unarmed people in the street, last week he started the rampaging with spearing unarmed soldiers who had surrendered, there had also been a few threatening looks towards John in both episodes, I felt the only reason he haddened had a go with John up till then was the fact his queen, whom he was devoted to, wanted him around so when he discovers that Johns killed her I would have thought he would have killed him on the spot and thrown his body to the Dothraki to rip limb for limb.

Hypothetical post about another fantasy character who didn't want to be king. Movie Aragorn spends decades fighting for the good people of Middle Earth. He is a righteous man and a great leader. He risks his life time and time again against an overwhelming foe. Though it takes many years of fighting the good people defeat the evil tyrant. In the end a council gets together to elect the king and they pick Merry. How many on here would have been happy with that ending to ROTK? That's how much sense it makes to have Bran as the new king.

Last edited:
Hypothetical post about another fantasy character who didn't want to be king. Movie Aragorn spends decades fighting for the good people of Middle Earth. He is a righteous man and a great leader. He risks his life time and time again against an overwhelming foe. Though it takes many years of fighting the good people defeat the evil tyrant. In the end a council gets together to elect the king and they pick Merry. How many on here would have been happy with that ending to ROTK? That's how much sense it makes to have Bran as the new king.

Jon never wanted to be King, Bran sending him to the wall was a kindness and the best end for his character. Jon is free of the weight of duty, his birth right and the expectation of others. Jon has fulfilled his part, ending the long night by killing Daenerys and therefore breaking the wheel. Jon is free to go with the Wildlings (his adoptive people) and live out his life in peace. Whilst his final scene is open to interpretation, for me, Jon looking back at the door closing in the wall seemed like an acknowledgment that his watch was finally now over.

Would Jon have even been a good King? The show has shown that he is a good man, caring for the people, strong values and seemingly incorruptible by power unlike so many others. But I don't necessarily believe that he would be a good King. What is good for the realm is not always the same as what is good for all of the people in it - I think he would struggle to make the hard choices. In many ways Jon came across too much like his adoptive father, Ned, in that he has strong unyielding morale compass but is quick to act and less quick to think and consider. Northmen like that don't last long in the South.

Bran can separate himself from his emotions and knows all the mistakes of the past, can snoop on people around him and appears to have some ability to see visions of the future. He is the best candidate for King albeit not one that fans of the show wanted or expected.

The Lord of the Rings example is not quite the same. Aragorn was afraid to be King because he thought his bloodline was tainted and would succumb to the seduction of the ring. Once he passed the test at Amon Hen he allowed himself to trust and believe in his own judgement. It's not like putting Merry on the throne but more like putting Gandalf the White on the throne. Bran may look like a silly boy with a blank expression but he is supposed to be wise beyond his years because he is the three eyed Raven.

Finally if Jon ended up on the throne then the wheel would not have been broken, he would just be another Targ ruler.

This is what puzzled me, I can suspend my disbelief over the fact that the Dragon didn't roast him alive but Greyworm was slitting the throats of unarmed people in the street, last week he started the rampaging with spearing unarmed soldiers who had surrendered, there had also been a few threatening looks towards John in both episodes, I felt the only reason he haddened had a go with John up till then was the fact his queen, whom he was devoted to, wanted him around so when he discovers that Johns killed her I would have thought he would have killed him on the spot and thrown his body to the Dothraki to rip limb for limb.

The only way it works is if Grey Worm was -- as I conceded earlier -- not stupid. The Unsullied are very disciplined, so his original intent may have been to imprison and later torture Jon to death or something until he realized he was surrounded by potential hostiles and needed to parlay.

They had taken heavy losses and had a long march to King's Landing, and I imagine they were short on food and supplies after DragonFest.

Even as I type that out it still feels like a bit of a stretch; but hey, it's been a stretch-y season. A Game of Stretches if you will.

Jon never wanted to be King, Bran sending him to the wall was a kindness and the best end for his character. Jon is free of the weight of duty, his birth right and the expectation of others. Jon has fulfilled his part, ending the long night by killing Daenerys and therefore breaking the wheel. Jon is free to go with the Wildlings (his adoptive people) and live out his life in peace. Whilst his final scene is open to interpretation, for me, Jon looking back at the door closing in the wall seemed like an acknowledgment that his watch was finally now over.

Would Jon have even been a good King? The show has shown that he is a good man, caring for the people, strong values and seemingly incorruptible by power unlike so many others. But I don't necessarily believe that he would be a good King. What is good for the realm is not always the same as what is good for all of the people in it - I think he would struggle to make the hard choices. In many ways Jon came across too much like his adoptive father, Ned, in that he has strong unyielding morale compass but is quick to act and less quick to think and consider. Northmen like that don't last long in the South.

Bran can separate himself from his emotions and knows all the mistakes of the past, can snoop on people around him and appears to have some ability to see visions of the future. He is the best candidate for King albeit not one that fans of the show wanted or expected.

The Lord of the Rings example is not quite the same. Aragorn was afraid to be King because he thought his bloodline was tainted and would succumb to the seduction of the ring. Once he passed the test at Amon Hen he allowed himself to trust and believe in his own judgement. It's not like putting Merry on the throne but more like putting Gandalf the White on the throne. Bran may look like a silly boy with a blank expression but he is supposed to be wise beyond his years because he is the three eyed Raven.

Finally if Jon ended up on the throne then the wheel would not have been broken, he would just be another Targ ruler.

Firstly, I really respect your post. Lays everything out and it's very respectful. The way we were presented his story line ending was to me at least heart wrenching. He was going back to the wall where he would spend the rest of his days guarding the wall with no opportunity to have a wife or family. I was happy knowing that in the end he got to go off with the wildlings which I will admit is what he wanted.

For most of the things you mentioned I think Jon would have been a great king. As far as Bran being king. I would really worry about someone with the gift that he has being easily corruptible. The ability to warg into animals or humans at will and knowing the future could easily be abused.

Same with having Brienne actually take part in the council, when its implied she is just the King's bodyguard.

Brienne is now Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, same as Barristan Selmy was when the show began. In the books Barristan Selmy is actually part of the small council so it makes sense that Brienne could be as well.

Great post!

The only way it works is if Grey Worm was -- as I conceded earlier -- not stupid. The Unsullied are very disciplined, so his original intent may have been to imprison and later torture Jon to death or something until he realized he was surrounded by potential hostiles and needed to parlay.

They had taken heavy losses and had a long march to King's Landing, and I imagine they were short on food and supplies after DragonFest.

Even as I type that out it still feels like a bit of a stretch; but hey, it's been a stretch-y season. A Game of Stretches if you will.

Lol dragon fest

I agree that if Jon strolled out of the throne room and told Grey Worm what he had just done 99% he gets executed on the spot. But your explanation does make the 1% possible a la Lloyd Christmas I suppose.

But if the Unsullied and Dothraki were in fact surrounded within city gates they should have just pressed that handy respawn button that they conveniently seem to possess.

Making Bran king seems to be a lot like making Dr. Manhatten president. Sure he may be all seeing and all knowing, but he seems completely unconcerned with human affairs and the value of human life, and seems like his distant unemotional demeanor would quickly alienate a lot of people.

But hey, he does come included with his own chair, so they don't have to worry about building a new throne for him. So there's a savings I guess.

[...]But if the Unsullied and Dothraki were in fact surrounded within city gates they should have just pressed that handy respawn button that they conveniently seem to possess.

Maybe they ran out of quarters.

Or the cheat code got patched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back