HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging from the first 15 minutes - I would agree that Camelot suffers in comparison.

I'm wondering if I should start reading the books - or go into the series unspoiled.

Since I don't get HBO, I'm gonna read the books.

Unless someone with a DVD recorder wants to record it for me. :D

This is mainly for the people who have already read the books. Between the 15 minute sneak peek and all the trailers and photos of the cast and characters, I wanted to get opinions on the casting choices. Here are mine - just focusing on the main families:

Overall, I think the casting matches very well with the mental picture I had of most of the characters while reading the books. The best casting to me looks to be Arya. She looks exactly how I pictured her in the books. She is one of my favorite characters too, so I am glad they got her right.

Eddard Stark - I love Sean Bean, but I always pictured Eddard with longer, black hair and darker features.

Catelyn Stark - I always pictured someone more along the lines of a Cate Blanchett type.

Jon Snow - Good choice.

Robb Snow - Good, but with longer, straighter red hair. He is supposed to look more like Catelyn side of the family.

Sansa Stark - Probably looks the least how I pictured her in the books.

Bran Stark - Perfect.

Rickon Stark - Good.

All the Lannisters (Jaime, Cersei, Tyrion) all match how I pictured them.

Robert Baratheon - Perfect

Daenerys/Viserys - Perfect

Khal Drogo - Pictured him more muscular and older.

Like I said, overall I think the casting looks great. I guess Sansa and Khal Drogo are the two biggest mis-matches for me.

Anyone else?

I pretty much agree with your assessments, especially about Arya. She is absolutely perfectly cast. Arya is one of my favorite characters as well, so I was extremely happy when I saw her come to life in the previews. I also really like the guy they cast as Viserys. He seems to have just the right amount of crazy going on. Oh, and Littlefinger is pretty much exactly as I pictured him too.

When I first heard rumors that HBO was interested in the books, Sean Bean and Peter Dinklage were the first actors I thought of for Ned and Tyrion, respectively, so I'm pretty excited to watch them own those roles.

Looks like the first season is only going to consist of 10 episodes, not 13. It will be interesting to see what makes it into the series and what gets cut out.

Hopefully HBO allows them to expand future seasons to 13 episodes or they're going to run into trouble as the books get longer.

I can't recommend the book series enough! I'd say start reading them once the entire show has aired.

It will be interesting to see how much we get out of this book series through HBO given the series isn't even done in book form yet. If we get at least 3 series (up through 'A Storm of Swords'), I'll be a happy camper. But oh the cliff hangers that will exist if it ends there, ha!

With HBO's track record, I predict 3 seasons max. Deadwood and Rome both ended early without all of the resolution due to budget issues. I can see the same thing happening with GoT.

With HBO's track record, I predict 3 seasons max. Deadwood and Rome both ended early without all of the resolution due to budget issues. I can see the same thing happening with GoT.

I'll actually be surprised if it goes past 2 series. Given the scope and the immense cost of show (at least it seems very costly), I'll be surprised if we see book three or 'A Storm of Swords' get made (though I'd love it!). Almost always seems to be cost that darkens a show on HBO. I still miss Carnivale. :(

They should know how much these shows are going to cost them from the get go. Why take on these big budget series if you can't afford them? And why end one big budget series only to start another one? It has to be something else......doesn't it?

They should know how much these shows are going to cost them from the get go. Why take on these big budget series if you can't afford them? And why end one big budget series only to start another one? It has to be something else......doesn't it?

I guess a show has to perform really, really well in order to stay past 2 seasons on HBO. But you have a point - you know that Deadwood and Carnivale are too expensive to sustain - so why take on something even more ambitious like Rome?

I couldn't get into Carnivale and I could take or leave Deadwood - but I LOVED Rome - really sorry that didn't continue.

I don't think I ever finished watching Rome. Saw about the first 1/2 and I have to say, from what I remember, it was quite good as well.

I will admit that if I had to choose between Deadwood or Carnivale, it would be Deadwood all the way.

Here's hoping Game of Thrones does not meet a similar fate.

I don't think I ever finished watching Rome. Saw about the first 1/2 and I have to say, from what I remember, it was quite good as well.

I will admit that if I had to choose between Deadwood or Carnivale, it would be Deadwood all the way.

Here's hoping Game of Thrones does not meet a similar fate.

There is a difference with GoT as they have the novels. All the others were originals. And it seems they are staying faithful to the books, so they knew going in what the cast, sets, efx and everything else would be like for the entire run of the series - it might help a bit to keep it on if the ratings aren't record setting.

There is a difference with GoT as they have the novels. All the others were originals. And it seems they are staying faithful to the books, so they knew going in what the cast, sets, efx and everything else would be like for the entire run of the series - it might help a bit to keep it on if the ratings aren't record setting.

That is a good point about this not being original material. Well from the press this is getting, I hope it gets record ratings. I do have my hopes up.

Boardwalk Empire was another show that seemed to be expensive to make - if I'm not mistaken. I like it well enough..but it didn't quite grab me as much as I had hoped it would.

I have a feeling Game of Thrones is going to be more to my liking. *fingers crossed*

I couldn't get into Carnivale and I could take or leave Deadwood - but I LOVED Rome - really sorry that didn't continue.

I would've loved a third season of Rome, especially 'cause I wanted to see more of Octavius' rule. That show was incredible.

Whilst I'm very excited about GoT, it makes me a bit sad to know that they'll probably not be able to film the entire Song of Ice and Fire series. The book series isn't even done by a long shot and who knows how Martin plans to wrap it all up.

HBO just uploaded a new 25 minute "Making Game of Thrones" feature. I really hope this show succeeds, because the quality and detail going into the production is just incredible.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OofPjpBVvEA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a good point about this not being original material. Well from the press this is getting, I hope it gets record ratings. I do have my hopes up.

Boardwalk Empire was another show that seemed to be expensive to make - if I'm not mistaken. I like it well enough..but it didn't quite grab me as much as I had hoped it would.

I have a feeling Game of Thrones is going to be more to my liking. *fingers crossed*

Yes, Boardwalk is/was expensive - I watched the first few episodes, but just wasn't that into it - maybe on DVD.

Back