HBO's Game of Thrones

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratings for the premiere are in!

From EW website.

The heavily hyped debut of Game of Thrones couldn’t come close to the premiere of HBO’s last big drama series, Boardwalk Empire, yet it still turned in a solid number Sunday night.

The first episode delivered a decent 2.2 million viewers for its premiere airing, then a rather strong 1.2 million for its first encore (the NBA playoff game between the Celtics and Knicks might have pushed some viewership to the second airing), and another 800,000 for the third telecast for an overall healthy total of 4.2 million. HBO then aired Thrones six times across all its channels Monday night, and those numbers will be added to this post later today.

Thrones first telecast was down 54 percent from the premiere of 2010′s Boardwalk (4.8 million) which received an immediate second season renewal. Yet HBO always takes into account what Sunday show was used to ramp up viewers to the new program’s premiere, and Thrones had a weak platform — Mildred Pierce, which averaged around 1 million viewers, a number Thrones more than doubled.

What’s perhaps the closest ratings comparison to a fantasy series like Thrones is HBO’s other genre drama, True Blood. A prestigious crime drama Boardwalk is much more in the traditional HBO viewership wheelhouse. Compared to the vampire show, Thrones did really well. Blood only opened with 1.4 million viewers, and similarly had no real platform to launch from, but then went on to grow week after week into a major hit for the network.

So what does all this mean for Thrones? The premiere number is good, not great. HBO would have loved for the first airing of Thrones to have been in the 3 million range, but will definitely take anything in the 2s. The next question: How many viewers will stick around next week?

I just saw the first episode and I gotta say that I really liked it. It's very true to the books. The opening was awesome and overall, the episode was pretty good.

However, I do wonder if people who haven't read the books will be able to get into it as easily as those that have. There was a lot of name-throwing around and not everything was clear e.g if you haven't read the books, you have no idea why Viserys and Dany consider themselves heirs to the throne of King's Landing.

I just saw the first episode and I gotta say that I really liked it. It's very true to the books. The opening was awesome and overall, the episode was pretty good.

However, I do wonder if people who haven't read the books will be able to get into it as easily as those that have. There was a lot of name-throwing around and not everything was clear e.g if you haven't read the books, you have no idea why Viserys and Dany consider themselves heirs to the throne of King's Landing.

You raise some good points. Hopefully, that information will come across in later episodes as there is a huge cast of characters to keep track of and episode one has only covered the first 75 pages or so of book 1.

You raise some good points. Hopefully, that information will come across in later episodes as there is a huge cast of characters to keep track of and episode one has only covered the first 75 pages or so of book 1.

I watched the first episode on Sunday and really enjoyed it. I am a huge Wheel of Time fan along with Lord of the Rings, but for whatever reason I had really never heard of A Song of Fire and Ice Series.

I didn't find the first episode too confusing with all the different characters ,etc..but I was instantly curious. I of course had had to buy the series for my kindle yesterday and have been reading since. I was really surprised how spot on the first episode was with the books, and it definitely was easier to follow after reading the book.

I don't have HBO :( and I never read the books but looking through this thread I may need to start reading them and wait for the DVD release. Sounds great.

Absolutely loved everything about episode 1 of this series. I am hooked. Never read the series because I am not a fan of fantasy novels but this show was awesome!

Anyone else think the opening titles are amazing? I love the concept!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7L2PVdrb_8&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Game Of Thrones "Official" Show Open (HBO)[/ame]

Loved seeing sean bean in the series, but that's where my love for this show stopped. Bottom line: most characters seem either totally uninteresting or plain creepy

Loved seeing sean bean in the series, but that's where my love for this show stopped. Bottom line: most characters seem either totally uninteresting or plain creepy

Only thing I can say to that is to give it time. By episode 5-6 this show will be firing on all cylinders. Buckle up! :yess:

Only thing I can say to that is to give it time. By episode 5-6 this show will be firing on all cylinders. Buckle up! :yess:

Agreed. The story has a bit of a slow build, but once the crap hits the fan, it doesn't let up. The final few episodes of this show should blow people's minds.

To those who saw it, was anyone else disappointed or pissed off that the show
Spoiler Spoiler:

To those who saw it, was anyone else disappointed or pissed off that the show
Spoiler Spoiler:

Agreed somewhat. I think the scene could have been handled a tad better, but considering much of that particular story was condensed down, I suppose the writers felt it was the route to go since we don't get to see enough development within the 'visual' version of the story.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I disagree with you on that.
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back