Hawley's Doctor Doom

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do hope they go with him, truth be told. He has the voice and the brown eyes. He is a bit more... gruff than Victor ever was, but eh, I can let it slide. I just hope they do away with the 616 origin, because it's one of the worst in capes. Great character, damn awful origin.

The good thing about him is he can act with his eyes and he can channel that sinister elegance that he demonstrated in playing Hannibal. I'd like to see what he can do with Doom.

There's a part of me that just doesn't want to see Dooms origin though. Like you said, his origin is eh... I've said this before in another thread, but I wish they would just use Darth Vader from A New Hope as a template for Doom. Doom informed Vader, now it's time for the reverse of that.

In a New Hope...that first scene when Vader walks in, you know he's bad...you're intimidated and your captured by his performance immediately. Then throughout the movie you get hints and glimpses and brief mentions of his past (he was a jedi knight, he betrayed and murdered your father...etc...). It's steeped in mystery and allure. Do that with Doom. Just have Doom stroll onto the screen already Doom'd up. Have characters mention things about Doom (he lived with monks. He's been to hell etc...). Let the audience build Dooms origin, we don't necessarily need to see it. He's already a cool and interesting character that doesn't need to be bogged down with 90 minutes of how he had an accident then got his armor and took over a country. I don't need to see him take over the country, just show us how he controls his country now and I can fill in the blanks.

This film interests me as Doom is my favorite marvel character and favorite comic character period. So i will hope for the best. I just don't think movie studios know what to do with him. Mads would give me hope though...We shall see...We shall see...

The good thing about him is he can act with his eyes and he can channel that sinister elegance that he demonstrated in playing Hannibal. I'd like to see what he can do with Doom.

Yeah, that's true as well. Mads just has a presence, that's hard to deny.

There's a part of me that just doesn't want to see Dooms origin though. Like you said, his origin is eh...

I've already said this, but it bears repeating. Doom's origin is a contrived mess that makes 0 sense and gets worse as time moves on. It's the equilavent of Hunter crashlanding on Wakanda, facing persecution by the evil natives, then taking it over and becoming the bestest king that ever was. It's silly and generally insulting, especially with the way Marvel plays it in that he's completely justified in everything, and the natives are the villages from Frankenstein, only worse. They're glorifying a baby-killer witch for goodness' sake!

I've said this before in another thread, but I wish they would just use Darth Vader from A New Hope as a template for Doom. Doom informed Vader, now it's time for the reverse of that.

In a New Hope...that first scene when Vader walks in, you know he's bad...you're intimidated and your captured by his performance immediately. Then throughout the movie you get hints and glimpses and brief mentions of his past (he was a jedi knight, he betrayed and murdered your father...etc...). It's steeped in mystery and allure. Do that with Doom. Just have Doom stroll onto the screen already Doom'd up. Have characters mention things about Doom (he lived with monks. He's been to hell etc...). Let the audience build Dooms origin, we don't necessarily need to see it. He's already a cool and interesting character that doesn't need to be bogged down with 90 minutes of how he had an accident then got his armor and took over a country. I don't need to see him take over the country, just show us how he controls his country now and I can fill in the blanks.

This film interests me as Doom is my favorite marvel character and favorite comic character period. So i will hope for the best. I just don't think movie studios know what to do with him. Mads would give me hope though...We shall see...We shall see...

I mostly agree. The Post-Uni stuff aren't that bad, but essentially you'd be doing Fant4stic all over again. A youngish actor, no costume and a fairly boring story. It's not like it's set in the times of kings and dragons. It'dbe mundane and not what people want to see in a Doom flick. Dunno about the Vader-route, but one thing that I always had a headcanon as, was that the 616 origin wasn't true. It's too contrived, to be true. It's a story that Doom wove, to make himself seem larger than life. You don't really know what is real, and what is not. For all we know, his mom went to Hell because she was a rich aristocrat that had sacrificial orgies every other Sunday.

What are some good Doctor Doom graphic novels to read? Would like to learn more about his character and why he is considered one of the best villains.

What are some good Doctor Doom graphic novels to read? Would like to learn more about his character and why he is considered one of the best villains.

This pic sums up things pretty well:

tumblr_mdfg4wHcqr1rpok63o1_1280.jpg

Some notes for the most important ones:

>Triumph & Torment
Doctor Strange teams-up with Doctor Doom to save Doom's mother's soul from Mephisto. Mignola is on art & Stern's writting.

>Books of Doom
The origin of Doom. Like I said, his origin is contrived and a product of its time, so even this modernization by Brubaker doesn't change much, but, eh.

>Doomwar
Doom vs Wakanda. BP fans despise becaust it's Doomwank, but considering Wakanda became the same worldpower in a couple of months, it doesn't really matter. It's where that "even God thinks Doom's the best choice" thing comes from.

>Doom & Doom: The Emperor Returns
Two Minis from the early 2000s which feature Doom taking over Counter-Earth after the whole Heroes Reborn/Return fiasco. Don't bother with the continuity, just go along for the ride.

>Emperor Doom
OGN where Doom takes over the world. It's where that "Doom's willpower is SO strong, it can resist a Purple Man amped enough to control the whole world". Nice little story, all things considered.

>F4 Annual 2
It's all about Doom and a day in Latveria, plus his, sigh, origin.

>Doom 2099
It's an ongoing from the 90s. Same universe as Spider-Man 2099 and all that jazz. Doom gets transported to the future and rebuilds his kingdom. Even becomes POTUS.

Doom does have flaws as a character though, the biggest one being his inconsistency as a character. In one story he's working with Nazis, in another he's pretending to be insulted by the Red Skull. He keeps Latveria looking like a medieval village with airtight borders, then chastizes Dracula for being xenophobic, and other stories have him building Mosques in Latveria. In one story you have him be overprotective of children, and in another he's throwing Franklin in literal Hell.

My advice it to just create a headcanon and disregard everything you don't like as Doombots. It's the best choice, really. That's how I've disregarded the origin, Unthinkable, that MI:13 story and Ewing's Loki. DOOMBOTS!

I'm surprised Marvel still calls him Doctor Doom. You'd think the Doctor tittle would have joined the outside underwear and other "classic" comic book gimmicks.

I'm surprised Marvel still calls him Doctor Doom. You'd think the Doctor tittle would have joined the outside underwear and other "classic" comic book gimmicks.

Might as well retire Doctor Fate, Doctor Strange, etc, etc. Besides, it's a key part of the character. He never managed to finish his studies, so he never became a proper Doctor, since he has no doctorate. Whereas Richards, Strange, Stark, Xavier, all of them have the papers to prove it. Doom doesn't, and his insecurities are so big, that he needs to add it to his title.

Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom Movie Is Still Being Developed by Fox
[SUP]Source: https://www.cbr.com/doctor-doom-movie-still-in-development/?utm_source=CBR-TW&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list[/SUP]

Originally teased last year at Comic-Con International in San Diego, little is known about the status
of Legion creator Noah Hawley’s upcoming Doctor Doom solo film, with Disney’s planned acquisition of 20th
Century Fox only exacerbating the mystery. However, according to Hawley, the project is still very much alive, at
least for the time being.

“I haven’t had a phone call, and I’m just operating under the assumption that it’s business as usual,” Hawley told
Rotten Tomatoes. “Obviously, the merger, should it go through, will take a year at least. Certainly no one’s reached
out to me from Marvel or Fox to say, ‘Well, you know, maybe we should take a beat or maybe we should rush.’ I’m
working on the script, and we’ll see what the landscape is when I deliver it. It’s coming. I’m almost done with the last
Legion [Season 2] script, and then it’s my first responsibility.”

Thank goodness. Hopefully they can get this out before Disney does anything.

Doom does have flaws as a character though, the biggest one being his inconsistency as a character. In one story he's working with Nazis, in another he's pretending to be insulted by the Red Skull. He keeps Latveria looking like a medieval village with airtight borders, then chastizes Dracula for being xenophobic, and other stories have him building Mosques in Latveria. In one story you have him be overprotective of children, and in another he's throwing Franklin in literal Hell.

h9Y4jc0.jpg

Doom's probably thinking 'BAH! Now those blasted AMERICANS shall NEVER know the glory of DOOM!' or "BLAST! Those TALIBANS stole DOOM's GLORIOUS idea!". And it's a Doombot. It's the only explaination.

That was a tacky issue, truth be told. I got it in a Spider-Man collection a few years later and... it was weird.

Noah Hawley’s Doctor Doom Movie Is Still Being Developed by Fox
[SUP]Source: https://www.cbr.com/doctor-doom-mov...al-Distribution&utm_campaign=CBR-TW&view=list[/SUP]

Thank goodness. Hopefully they can get this out before Disney does anything.

Just like that New Live-action Masters of the universe movie. it's still in development too.

This MIGHT get made, it might not. IF the script is good, then Likely Feige and the rest of marvel will fold it into the new mythos.

“In the voice that speaks within even the worst of us, and says ‘this is not right. Jet fuel can’t melt steel beams.’”

You can’t call yourself “the worst” and not be all like “9/11 was an inside job,” Doom.

Back