Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more cents here:

I've already hit one of my Detolfs multiple times with enough force to send it off its platform. If it hadn't been anchored, it would have been shattered to bits and many of the items within it likely damaged. Should one of my kids have happened to be walking into my office at the time, they would have received a concussion or far worse as the cabinet would have toppled right onto them.

It's somewhat irresponsible not to anchor a Detolf to the wall even when it's floor standing and very much so when it's sitting on top of something else. IKEA supplies anchor hardware for a reason. We all do irresponsible things, ask my wife and you'll hear an earful. You just have to weigh the risks/benefits here like everything else and make a decision you can live with. For me it was a must - cramped space, each Detolf sits over 7 feet tall, I have kids and the stuff inside them costs serious dollars, some of it one of a kind custom work.

Removing the feet allows you to anchor the bottom of the Detolf to the cabinet or frame that you'll place under it. It makes it more stable, stronger and much better looking, especially if the thing underneath is sized to make it look like it's an original part of the whole.

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone ever tried sticking an air freshener or dehumidifier into a detolf? Was wondering if it would be detrimental to my figures, chemical reaction and all that... :monkey3

Desiccate packs would be OK. Chemical-release air freshener, no - it's a closed space and wouldn't do anything except impregnate the fibers on your collectibles with something you may not like long-term. If it has any funk, empty it, clean it with soap/water, dry it out completely then air it out.

Sorry to ask, but what's the footprint of the Detolf? Don't know if the measurments in IKEA web are for the box...first time buyer.

IKEA features box and product dimensions, and they should be correct for Detolf. Look at the measurements that are about 15x15"

Thanks...I'm in Puerto Rico and the Ikea.pr measurments are for the box only, should have looked at their regular site. :slap

IKEA features box and product dimensions, and they should be correct for Detolf. Look at the measurements that are about 15x15"

And this means it fits perfectly over my sub...:yess:

Has anyone tried putting a detolf on the new kallax yet? The expedits are all out where I live and I'm quite skeptical about the kallax.

I saw another option for raising and would like an opinion. Would the Ikea LACK side table be a suitable replacement for the EXPEDIT cubes which are no more in production?

I was referring to this one.

lack-side-table-on-casters__0115194_PE268417_S4.JPG

Gotcha. While similar to the Expedit in construction, it has a 21" top - this means that the weight of the Detolf isn't placed directly over the vertical sides of the Lack. It could be ok, but if you were going to do it, I'd recommend putting it on its side. That would have the strength of the tops on vertical plus get you additional height, 21" instead of only 17". Or, go with my number one recommendation, Akurum upper cabinet.

Gotcha. While similar to the Expedit in construction, it has a 21" top - this means that the weight of the Detolf isn't placed directly over the vertical sides of the Lack. It could be ok, but if you were going to do it, I'd recommend putting it on its side. That would have the strength of the tops on vertical plus get you additional height, 21" instead of only 17". Or, go with my number one recommendation, Akurum upper cabinet.

What is the difference? As both are rectangular?

As for the LACK, I was actually thinking of putting it on its side but was afraid that going too high would cause instability.

What is the difference? As both are rectangular?

Akurum is taller and has a nice selection of doors and covering side panels available.

As for the LACK, I was actually thinking of putting it on its side but was afraid that going too high would cause instability.

Bolt them together - MANDATORY. Then secure them to the wall.

Back