Has anyone ever tried to raise a Detolf?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, any lighting style can be used to great effect, so pick what you like based on the kind of effect you'd prefer to look at. And my number 1 lighting rule: less is more.

Creating shadow detail will make your displays pop.

BOOM ! RAISED ! This photo does not do them justice, they look phenomenal :yess:

I used my old aquarium stand (so it can support the weight)... it is prepainted black and it matches the black/brown color of the detolfs perfectly. It looks like one solid piece (not just furniture pieced together).

Petsmart still sells the stand if anyone is interested:
Here is the actual stand Top Fin

ANY 75 gallon fish tank stand should EASILY fit 3 detolfs perfectly (even a 55 gallon will hold them). If you have 5 why not go for the 120 gallon stand.

THE WORST part about raising a detolf is taking them apart to raise them up (it took ALL day) to clean/organize and set up/take down (and I only have three o_O !?!)

Attachments

• detolfraised.jpg
    detolfraised.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 958
Fellow raisers:

I have been looking for a way to raise my detolfs for a while and noticed ALOT of you using cubes or shelving units from ikea... PLEASE BE CAREFUL and check the weight limits (I am sure people have brought this up before but)... I have the walmart cubes in my closet and they start to give after a while (and I just have other cubes stacked on top no where near the weight of one detolf)! Ikea states that the standard detolf weighs in at around 90lbs... ask yourself if your shelfs can support this? I couldn't imagine coming home to a shattered detolf on the floor and my figures in pieces.

The IKEA stuff people are using to hold the Detolfs (in this thread) have so far only included models which should be fine - their design and construction are suitable to the task. Example, Expedit, Kallax, Besta, Akurum, etc.

WRT to any particular other product, YMMV. You should post some photos of your Walmart cubes though.

Actually might look into that aquarium stand, it looks pretty solid and has holes for cables. I'm looking into buying my first 3 detolfs around the end of the month. Great find CG. I just don't trust the ikea stuff to support that much weight. :)

I just don't trust the ikea stuff to support that much weight. :)

Shhh, don't tell that to the people with IKEA cabinets under granite counter tops. ;) When you've seen mass-market aquarium stands in person, close up, you'll come to realize that IKEA really do overbuild most of their stuff. Haha. They're all perfectly suitable.

Actually might look into that aquarium stand, it looks pretty solid and has holes for cables. I'm looking into buying my first 3 detolfs around the end of the month. Great find CG. I just don't trust the ikea stuff to support that much weight. :)

As Pixelpiper pointed out, there is SOME ikea stuff that will hold up, just read the specs on everything when you go to buy it and remember the weight of a detolf.

Check around for aquarium stands... if you are using 3 detolfs a 55 or 75 gallon stand will fit 3 perfectly (check craigslists for cheaper options).

yeah, I'll look when I head there in 2 weeks. Looks like I'll be picking up at least 4 now, so will have to go with something else.

Put together these 3 cube organizers tonight from Walmart to raise my detolfs. IMO these are a pretty decent and sturdy alternative to the Expedits. Probably could fit 5 detolfs across the two units. Not as nice as some of the custom stuff on this thread, but I think it does the job. Plus these were also super easy to find in store and we don't have an Ikea in Vegas. Raising the detolfs definitely make a difference.

16452944681_8a68b29513_b.jpg

16454690015_faa8efddb2_b.jpg

Here again is the link to the cubes at Walmart for anyone interested: Better Homes and Gardens 3-Cube Organizer, Multiple Colors - Walmart.com

How is this holding up?

Did a little kick test the other day to see if there was any wobble and it's solid. You should have no issues. Just make sure you follow the instructions and make sure all the nuts and bolts are tight.

I like what you did but there is pretty significant overhang on the edges, and for me my space will only allow up to around 70", which is basically the 4 detolfs.

I went to IKEA over the weekend and saw that a nice low profile options that really fits the 70" approximation for 4 detolfs would be the ORRBERG Bench - I stood on it (I'm about 180 lbs) and it had a little flex in the middle of each side (there are two end supports and one center support) so between the center support and end you do get a little flex, but if you position the detolf to the back of it (where the back support is) it shouldn't be too bad. However I will definitely (when assembling) work on a inside/drawer support modification.

ORRBERG Bench - IKEA

What's nice about this is the drawers. You could put figure trays in there, or parts accessories etc. What I'm thinking I might do, is modify the drawer to only be half deep, that way a support, ie cinder blocks or wooden frame can help add support. Either that or I was thinking of a metal U shape where the U will be position on it's side like so "]" and would slip under and above the drawer that way it can support it while still keeping the full drawer.

I'll keep you guys updated!

But this is definitely the nicest low profile with drawers options that accommodates 4 detols almost perfectly.

Cheers

I wouldn't put it on the Orrberg long term. The spans are just too long on each half, plus I don't think it's a significant enough height - the Detolfs will still be way too low.

IMO, the best solution (by far) is kitchen cabinet uppers. The Sektion like makes this so easy and a no-brainer. It's a bit more work because you have to use filler strips when using the 15" model (or use the 18) and you should trim the outside in finishing panels. But you have a wide assortment of doors or drawers, you can go 20 or 30" cabinet height and then include legs and a plinth for a finished look. They'll be super strong too. You can even go with two 24" wide cabs and one 18" then trim just the outsides.

30" wide Sektion kitchen cabinet UPPER from IKEA. Available in different heights. You might want to put a support member in the middle at the front - it can be hidden by the doors you put on the cabinet.

Back