Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--SPOILERS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I wouldn't mind if it Bill?Fleur was replaced with Tonks/Lupin since Bill has only ever been in the photograph in PoA. It is still a wedding and the events that take place during the wedding will be the same.

when ron ate those chocolates and was all goo goo gaga....and at slughorn's christmas party when potter was behind the curtain with hermoine and then that kid puked on snape's shoes. Jim broadbent also cracked me up..the way he moved and some of his facial expressions were just hilarious. And when harry took the liquid luck...then were lots of one-liners that i thought were funny. It was nice seeing ron, hermoine and harry having fun and laughing...and trying to get a handle on their emotions. I thought they did all those scenes very well.

lol!! Yeah ron was funny!!

Took my wife to see it this evening...

I thought the movie was okay. To be fair, the movie was probably better than I am giving credit due to the fact that I had a bad headache throughout the second 1/2 of the movie.

I didnt like all the goofyness that was added. So much sillyness when it came to all of the love relationships and then also alot of the Slugworth scenes.

They could have done a better job showing Harry's addiction to the HBP potions book. I also found it amusing how Draco had to dramatically pull the curtain off the transporting box over and over again. (Did he climb back up evrytime and put the curtain back on?)

And lastly,
Spoiler Spoiler:

What? Seeing him falling down in slo-mo wasn't enough?

What? Seeing him falling down in slo-mo wasn't enough?

No.

Diggery's death was more moving and shocking.

It seems Yates was loath to show too much as it would upset the kids, but that's the whole point of scene like that. To move us, shock us and upset us. We see Dumbledore get hit from Harry's obscured pov then the close up Hans Grubber slo-mo fall. Then just a close up of his face as Harry brushes aside his hair. Weaksauce. I didn't need to see impact but it needed to be more intense and real. The silence that followed was a cheap, derivative version of Gandalf's fall. It was such a crucial moment and not properly milked for its true power and potential.

One other thing about that sequence...

Spoiler Spoiler:

In response to Galactiboy
Spoiler Spoiler:

I'm seeing this tomorrow. :rock

* backs out of thread without reading anything *

In response to Galactiboy

Back atcha
Spoiler Spoiler:

Back atcha
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Yeah, that was the only saving grace of that scene. While not in the book, it definitely added an extra layer of deception.

Only just remembered, but the scene with MacClaggen licking his fingers was hilarious.

I think that one of the big issues for Harry (and the reader/viewer) is whether or not to trust Snape. While different from the book, I like how the movie handled the confrontation at the end.

I think that
Spoiler Spoiler:

Tom gets it. :clap

Seriously though, why are we using spoiler tags on a movie about a book that has been out for 5 years? No one felt compelled to use spoiler tags for Lord of the Rings. :dunno

I didn't remember this from the book but it has been a while, if so though its inclusion in the film took away from everything you posted Tom

Spoiler Spoiler:

I remember closing the Half Blood Prince thinking the betrayal was monsterous, I didn't feel that after this. Had that scene been removed it was have been really powerful and while some people may not have remembered to those who did or are as observant as some diehard Potter fans are it waters it down a bit.

I dont want to go through almost 80 pages of posts, so sorry if this was mentioned.

Was anyone disappointed with the IMAX 3D portion of the film? I saw it today, and it was the first 20 or so minutes where there was almost no action. It was really disappointing to pay extra for the IMAX 3D and not have it be worth the price.

Order of the Phoenix had 3D as well, but it was the last 30 minutes or so, so there was the chase through the room with the shelves of glass balls, the wizard fight in the cave, and then the awesome battle between Dumbledore and Voldemort. All of that was amazing, and it really put the 3D sequences of HBP to shame.

But aside from that, I did like the movie and thought it was probably the 2nd best of the series (behind Azkaban).

Where did you see it in IMAX? I thought it had been delayed because of Transformers' contract for a full month.

Where did you see it in IMAX? I thought it had been delayed because of Transformers' contract for a full month.

Lincoln Center AMC in NYC. I thought it was delayed too, but Fandango said that the three or 4 major IMAX theaters were playing it this week =)

Edit: here's the blurb:

* The following theatres will open July 15th:
AMC Loews Lincoln Square IMAX Theatre- New York, NY
AMC Century City 15 & IMAX- Los Angeles, CA
Omnimax at Museum of Science and Industry- Chicago, IL (IMAX Dome- this film will not be presented in IMAX 3D at this location)

They have one Imax here in NYC Lincoln Center that has it on Imax.

Thanks for the response Galactiboy.

It's interesting to read people's various reactions to changes and such.

Back