Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince--SPOILERS!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

Back to the issue of Snape.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Tom gets it. :clap

Seriously though, why are we using spoiler tags on a movie about a book that has been out for 5 years? No one felt compelled to use spoiler tags for Lord of the Rings. :dunno

I agree.

Spoiler Spoiler:
And I'm ok with that addition.

I didn't remember this from the book but it has been a while, if so though its inclusion in the film took away from everything you posted Tom

Spoiler Spoiler:

I remember closing the Half Blood Prince thinking the betrayal was monsterous, I didn't feel that after this. Had that scene been removed it was have been really powerful and while some people may not have remembered to those who did or are as observant as some diehard Potter fans are it waters it down a bit.

Mike gets it. :clap

The subtext and feelings are all on point in the film as it's based on JK Rowling's solid book and story, but they misstep and refocus on the more juvenile 'B' story instead of the moodier, darker and, imo, far more interesting and engaging Snape/Draco & Dumbledore machinations 'A' story. And while individual scenes and sections work, in refocusing and cutting stuff, moving stuff around, and muting some of the darker bits, they muddy and weaken the overall product.

Last edited:

Tom gets it. :clap

Seriously though, why are we using spoiler tags on a movie about a book that has been out for 5 years? No one felt compelled to use spoiler tags for Lord of the Rings. :dunno

Because I just stumbled upon these posts below me and haven't read all the books yet, nor seen the movies. :(

I agree.

Snape shushes Harry before he kills Dumbledore. And I'm ok with that addition.

Mike gets it. :clap

The subtext and feelings are all on point in the film as it's based on JK Rowling's solid book and story, but they misstep and refocus on the more juvenile 'B' story instead of the moodier, darker and, imo, far more interesting and engaging Snape/Draco & Dumbledore machinations 'A' story. And while individual scenes and sections work, in refocusing and cutting stuff, moving stuff around, and muting some of the darker bits, they muddy and weaken the overall product.

I'll edit in a spoiler tag.

I was talking to a girl just the other day that wandered into a Star Wars thread and found out Vader is Luke's dad and she hasn't seen any of the movies. Be careful where you wander I suppose.

I'll edit in a spoiler tag.

I was talking to a girl just the other day that wandered into a Star Wars thread and found out Vader is Luke's dad

Nooooooooooooo!:horror
I was staying clear of all Star Wars threads and you had to put it here!:banghead

:naughty:lol:chew:rotfl

Dam theres people who still don't know that:confused:

facepalm.jpg

I didn't remember this from the book but it has been a while, if so though its inclusion in the film took away from everything you posted Tom

Spoiler Spoiler:

I remember closing the Half Blood Prince thinking the betrayal was monsterous, I didn't feel that after this. Had that scene been removed it was have been really powerful and while some people may not have remembered to those who did or are as observant as some diehard Potter fans are it waters it down a bit.

I remember Harry overhearing that conversation in the book--Rowling did leave that hint for the readers. EDIT: I was wrong--Harry didn't overhear it, Hagrid overheard it and reported it to Harry. But Rowling did let us know that Dumbledore had ordered Snape to do something that he no longer wanted to do.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

I remember Harry overhearing that conversation in the book--Rowling did leave that hint for the readers.

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree with you Tom....you know really after book 4 or so, I just knew that Snape was a good guy.....
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

He was always my favorite character.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Me too! He's one of my favorite characters....definitely favorite over all the adult characters...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Last edited:

I forgot about the name!!! Well that makes me feel a little better about the death....a little. :lol But that was cool....I need to re-read that book..I'm forgetting to many small details.

He was always my favorite character.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Thats exactly what i felt too.

I will say that the teen romance stuff and "Who should I ask to the Christmas party?" drama was better suited for book/film four. At this point, we've already been there/done that, and there are more important things to focus on. I guess that I expected more of the Voldemort backstory in the new film than we ended up getting, but maybe they felt that would be too bleak. I guess the romantic fluff was there in the book, but it felt more balanced out by other things--things that didn't make it into the film.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Continuing on Snape...
Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Back