Guillermo del Toro's Pacific Rim!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I should mention that my whole family enjoyed it. My two boys sat quietly and enjoyed the whole movie (ages 7 and 4) I don't usually take my youngest to PG-13 films (Amazing Spider-man was the other) but I have brought my boys up on Godzilla, Ray Harryhausen, ad Dino movies so I figured they could handle it. My wife thought it was fun also... She had no idea what the film was about before we saw it :)

Someone brought an infant into our theater. :cuckoo:

I didn't see it in IMAX, so not sure. GDT probably just pinned a note to every copy of the movie to inform the theaters to turn the sound up to "earbleed".

Sounds right. :lol

I didn't see it in IMAX either.

I just got back from seeing this. To start, I'll say I can't remember the last film I loved watching as much as this in the theater. The closest I can think of is maybe the dark knight, but I actually enjoyed this alot more than that. This isn't just the movie of the year, it's the movie of the decade, I haven't seen anything that compares to Pacific Rim. The sheer enjoyment I got from Gipsy Danger after it's fight with leatherback almost brought me to tears, that's how happy this film made me.

Maybe my enjoyment stems from my love of the genre as a kid, power rangers, godzilla, evangelion, giant robo, gundam, getter robo, full metal panic, voltron, transformers, Video games like robot alhemic drive, armored core, virtual on. I believe I am a bit biased with this film because of my history with this genre, but nothing I've ever seen compares to what I saw tonight.

My favorite part? I loved the characters, I was smiling and laughing in almost every scene, the relationship between Mako and Reliegh was spot on, perfectly balanced and never forced. The world they lived in felt like that, lived in. The bonds ran deep in the film, even deeper than bonds that were blood, this film showcased how close the human race can become when it calls for it. The mind melding was genius, Makos memory as a child was terrifying, haunting, and yet hopeful and endearing. The battles though take place during the dark, I never struggled to understand what was happening and easily followed it. The hong kong fight scene is the best action scene you'll see in Imax, if you can, see it in IMAX. There maybe one or two things I may not have liked about this film, can't really remember because I was so overwhelmed with pure joy and excitement that I can't think of anything bad about this. I'll be seeing it again tomorrow and then again next week. I've been waiting for this film since I was 6 and this delivered on all fronts. It was fun, it made me sad at times and excited from beginning to end. I hope there's sequels because I really can't get enough of this, I loved this film, from the opening to close, best experience in a theater in my adult life to date.

It's beyond me of why there wasn't a Japanese jaeger.....
Steal the idea, and don't even pay homage to where it all originated....

It's beyond me of why there wasn't a Japanese jaeger.....
Steal the idea, and don't even pay homage to where it all originated....

#1: The whole movie is a homage to the genre. Implying they're stealing something is a misplaced notion.

#2: There was a Japanese Jaeger. It was the one that Pentecost piloted and used to save Mako in Tokyo.

pacific-rim-poster-coyote-tango.jpeg

Last edited:
The following wiki entries was mentioned on another forum, which explains some of the odd character moments. It's great to know we can expect a better director's cut with more fleshed out characters for the Blu-ray.

"Del Toro cut approximately an hour of material from the film. The unused footage explored the characters and their arcs in greater detail, but the director felt it was necessary to strike a balance, stating: "We cannot pretend this is Ibsen with monsters and giant robots. I cannot pretend I'm doing a profound reflection on mankind." Each character's arc was edited down to its minimal requirements. The director wanted to keep the film around two hours, particularly for younger viewers. Alejandro González Iñárritu and Alfonso Cuarón helped with the editing; Iñárritu removed ten minutes of footage, while Cuarón removed "a few minutes" and rearranged several scenes."

Still judging by the following, looks like he managed to deliver the film he wanted.

"Del Toro envisioned Pacific Rim as an earnest, colorful adventure story, with an "incredibly airy and light feel", in contrast to the "super-brooding, super-dark, cynical summer movie". The director focused on "big, beautiful, sophisticated visuals" and action that would satisfy an adult audience, but has stated his "real hope" is to introduce the kaiju and mecha genres to a generation of children.While the film draws heavily on these genres, it avoids direct references to previous works. Del Toro intended to create something original but "madly in love" with its influences, instilled with "epic beauty" and "operatic grandeur".

Box office not too hot by the looks of it...
:(

Where do you get your info from?

Full box office reports are not delivered until close of weekend!

You will see, stay positive!... This movie will deliver!

Last edited:
Back