Guillermo Del Toro is helming a Justice League: Dark movie?/General DC Movie Hub

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, JL Dark was never "horror". Even Hellblazer, back in its Vertigo days, was more like gothic romance novels with some horror undertones. Granted, I'm still not done reading either of them, but, y'know... Personally speaking, I ain't a horror guy, so if this happens and it's an R film, I'll probably see it on video. As for the team, I'd be content with: JonCon, Blood/Etrigan, Swampy, Deadman, Zatanna and Doctor Fate (I prefer him to Xanadu).
The Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman stuff at DC are really the high water marks for comic book horror in my opinion. As much horror as anything Stephen King ever wrote. Not sure about gothic romance, though Moore's Swamp Thing run was a tale about the relationship between Swampy and Abby as much as anything else. What's the alternative? EC Comics, or the '70s Marvel stuff with Dracula and Werewolf by Night?

The Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman stuff at DC are really the high water marks for comic book horror in my opinion. As much horror as anything Stephen King ever wrote. Not sure about gothic romance, though Moore's Swamp Thing run was a tale about the relationship between Swampy and Abby as much as anything else. What's the alternative? EC Comics, or the '70s Marvel stuff with Dracula and Werewolf by Night?

The Gaiman and Moore stuff could be gory at times, but dunno, they had a certain "air" to them that made the stories read more like gothic novels than straight-up horror. Hellblazer could get pretty darn creepy at times, since JonCon and his world weren't exactly whimsical. As for other horror stuff, if you look at the indies, you'll find tons of straight-up horror tales. As for Marvel, they never had anything close to Sandman, but they did a bit better with pulpy horror. They had 70s Ghost Rider complete with Satan worshippers and covens, The Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf By Night, all that jazz. They were more pedestrian, but they were great for pulpy horror. Currently, neither of the Big 2 is publishing anything like that, though the closest thing is Conway's Carnage, which is a surprisingly great series all around.

All these characters had horror elements, but none of them really belong to the "horror" genre.

Best description for the JLD series would be Dark Fantasy I think.

Series had its ups and downs like any other comic, but I felt it was way more consistently good that all the other team books during the N52.

Do you mean Demon Knights? Because I don't remember a Dark Fantasy title during the Nu52 era (maybe I missed it, that's possible as well). But yeah, that was a pretty good medieval book. I was hoping ANAD Black Knight could be the new title with knights and dragons, but it got cancelled with issue #6, so...

Do you mean Demon Knights? Because I don't remember a Dark Fantasy title during the Nu52 era (maybe I missed it, that's possible as well). But yeah, that was a pretty good medieval book. I was hoping ANAD Black Knight could be the new title with knights and dragons, but it got cancelled with issue #6, so...

No, I mean JLD. Demon Knights was more a classic fantasy. JLD was very dark magic, creatures, vampires, etc. One of my favorite crossovers was when they brought in Andrew Bennett for a few issues when 'I, Vampire' was still going on.

No, I mean JLD. Demon Knights was more a classic fantasy. JLD was very dark magic, creatures, vampires, etc. One of my favorite crossovers was when they brought in Andrew Bennett for a few issues when 'I, Vampire' was still going on.

Ooooh, now I get it. You meant "Dark Fantasy" as the genre in which JLD falls into. Yeah, I agree on that front.

Liman's out: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/transformers/justice_league_dark/justice-league-dark-movie-loses-director-doug-liman-it-helmer-andy-muschietti-possibly-being-eyed-a151360

mshckd.gif

Back